Concept of God arising in multiple, different cultures

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by rodereve, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Balerion Banned Banned

Apparently, you've missed quite a bit.

I never said any such thing. I simply said it can demonstrate things, as opposed to henological arguments demonstrate nothing.

Empiricism validates and invalidates explicit items all the time. Gravity exists. Empiricism wins!

It really isn't. It's a question rooted in the physical world. We can reconstruct the path religion took through empirical evidence and say with confidence that the gods you're worshiping aren't real. If you want to push your god back to the god of deism, fine. You can have that position--at least for now. But that god isn't worth thinking about, because there's nothing to suggest it even exists.

Regarding the broadest, most deistic concept of a god, sure. I refrain from asserting that absolute negative as well. But your God? The one from the desert, who lit a bush on fire and floated down to Moses on a cloud? That's all BS.

Evade, evade, evade...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Balerion Banned Banned

Very nice baseless claim, LG. I'm getting used to you saying things without making any effort whatsoever to support them. Can I try it your way? Okay, here goes: "It is that way because I say so!"

Hm. Disappointing. Even though I've made the statement definitively, I still somehow feel hollow. Jeez...is this what you go through every time? I don't know how you do it, man. At some point, I feel like some effort to support your claims needs to be made. At least for me. Here, let me try it my way again.

"Because it shows that the formula of "I live here" plus "They're raising me" does not necessarily equal "They conceived and birthed me." Who raises you might be your biological parent, but that alone isn't enough to make that determination."

Wow. See there? Now I feel better. You really should try it sometime.

Holy crap, I almost let you get away with that. In reply to spidergoat's challenge to name one thing ever discovered to be reliably true without empiricism. You said:

So, clearly you're not talking about foster parents. You are explicitly referring to biological parents.

#TrollFail
    #ShrugginWithLG

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. rodereve Registered Member

So we've come to this.

The burden of proof lies with the theist. The theist must prove that his/her God exists. The atheist does not have to prove that a God does not exist, or that a leprechaun does not exist, or that unicorns don't exist; it is just the default position after the theist fails to have sufficient proof that God exists.

LG bypasses this by saying: natural empiricism cannot prove anything supernatural. This is somewhat more agnostic than theistic, but if this is the case, what is stopping you from believing in all of the religions? What would help you determine which is truth from false, if you have no natural means of empirically evaluating their validity.

Some people require evidence to believe. but Others believe because there cannot be evidence?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

Nobody actually knows if the concept of god arose in different cultures at all.

There isn't even a consensus on human evolution.... Out of Africa? Multi-Regional? There are more.
    Until you decide on one, then your premise is flawed... a premise, which relies upon a premise, which relies upon a premise.
    And if you're a god botherer, then you've already come to the conclusion that humans were created, but kind of forgot about god for a while until they got smart enough to remember. Either that, or they thought he was an antelope.

Basically, though, if you have a thing for evolution, and you subscribe to the "Out of Africa" theory, then it's quite possible god was envisaged in Africa, and simply taken around the world and modified a bit. Which blows your theory out of the water.

So, you know, if you're going to go with this "multiple cultures" bit, then at least clarify your position with a few more details.

8. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

So you think you're God, huh?

And yet if you tell your hair not to grow, it doesn't stop growing.
    Your own will counts for little or nothing in these things.

You are applying limited material analogies to universal scenarios. This is a mistake.

As LG noted earlier in reply to you:

In your example, what exactly did the dog breeder who developed the German Shepherd cause? He didn't cause the existence of dogs, he merely matched already existing entities (which were provided by someone else); he didn't exactly breed them either, he relied on the reproductive system of the dogs.

IOW, when talking about God, we need to keep in mind the omnimax entity, and not unduly extrapolate from limited material examples.

That is so in a Mormon-kind of cosmogony, in which the Universe preexists /G/od. But this Mormon concept is not one of the omnimax God.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  9. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

One would have a hard time explaining such variety only if one believes in eternal damnation; or believes that life is basically a matter of humans trying to prevail against the dark forces of a hostile or indifferent universe; or another similar belief.

Those beliefs are likely held tacitly, but they are the basis for the bad faith from which many people operate.

Tell me: What's stopping you from entertaining the idea that God is a magnanimous being?

I don't have this concern.

You're missing the point.

Where is the evidence that religions were (progressively) invented for the purpose of explaining natural phenomena?

There is no such evidence, other than tacitly in the minds of some people who interpret old scriptures and other artifacts in such a way.
    IOW, it's simply the projection of some people that religions were (progressively) invented for the purpose of explaining natural phenomena.

This is a truism, a logical conclusion.

Same as above.

There is, when people use limited material analogies (such as those of wound up clocks), and based on those extrapolate about universal, absolute phenomena, presuming that such extrapolations are correct.

There is also no evidence that all humans are equal. That being the case, then, per you, there is no rational reason to believe all humans are equal - and we might as well do away with the Declaration of Human Rights, since it's not evidence-based.

10. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

No. The burden of proof is on the one who wants to shoulder it, who wishes to believe.

Why?
    Can you actually explain why someone would need to prove the validity of one's stance to another? Other than in a court of law or similar judicial situation?

It comes down to why one wishes to believe, or why one thinks one should believe, or not believe.

What do you hope to accomplish by having certainty about a particular religion or God?

11. elte Valued Senior Member

In this limited, material world, God is, by all appearances, absent. People commonly use magical thinking to support claiming otherwise. You and everyone else saying there is another hypothetical spiritual universe out there doesn't matter in my life other than you and theists making a big deal about it. With or without this thinking, if we don't take care of ourselves and each other, no spiritual being is going to. What would happen if we were out in the vacuum of space all by ourselves, floating and physically unreachable? Then God would matter the most to you and me, I'm sure, and all the observers down there on earth watching with telescopes could do is watch us die, at which time you believe a new life of some sort starts for you, and I think it doesn't.

That is right, he made a new breed of dog by using what already was there. And the universe likely came from stuff that already existed also by means of natural processes. If God did it, it's as irrelevant to our day to day survival as the unknown dog breeder.

Omnipotence in a being is a manmade doctrine that appears to not have relevance to human life other than it has an appeal for the purpose of quelling our deepest fears. Limited material examples are all I have, and they're all you have other than manmade ideas about spirituality.

A way to describe it all is idle speculation. When people like Mormons got more free time from their struggles as civilization became more accommodating to their physical needs, they had time to dream things up like that. Now we have advanced far enough technically that we can replace the speculation with observably supportable knowledge.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

No, because that's a nonsensical idea. It's my body doing these things, and it doesn't depend on some "entity" (other than me, and of course my parents, and plants, and the sun).

So what? Most of what my body does isn't under my direct control. That doesn't mean it's under someone else's control!

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Information that I gathered through my senses.

The last thing I want to say is something I've said before. Without the senses, you can never know if there is anything beyond the senses, so your idea that empiricism is limited is necessarily an idea without evidence.

14. lightgigantic Banned Banned

I think its time for you to re-visit your understanding of what empiricism actually is and isn't

the problem at the moment is that you are not talking about empiricism.

Empirical evidence (also empirical data, sense experience, empirical knowledge, or the a posteriori) is a source of knowledge acquired by means of observation or experimentation.[1] Empirical evidence is information that justifies a belief in the truth or falsity of an empirical claim. In the empiricist view, one can only claim to have knowledge when one has a true belief based on empirical evidence. This stands in contrast to the rationalist view under which reason or reflection alone is considered to be evidence for the truth or falsity of some propositions.[2] The senses are the primary source of empirical evidence. Although other sources of evidence, such as memory, and the testimony of others ultimately trace back to some sensory experience, they are considered to be secondary, or indirect.

That aside, its not my idea that empiricism is limited.
    Its simply a given fact that empirical investigation is thoroughly relegated to the metonymic.

15. Balerion Banned Banned

How is the material world "limited?" Because it can't reach into Godville and pluck a hair from the creator's nose? That's like calling me handicapped because I can't fly. First you must demonstrate the existence of this immaterial realm before we go around saying that we're somehow missing tools.

16. lightgigantic Banned Banned

are we talking about empiricism or the material world?

17. lightgigantic Banned Banned

You have still failed to explain why your apparent experience fails to undermine the (reliable) manner people discern who their parents are

so given that you can actually read what I am talking about, I've got to ask yet again, Did I mention anything about the status quo between foster and biological parents?
    :shrug:

18. lightgigantic Banned Banned

On the contrary, philosophical language is used to support why god is necessarily absent from epirical investigation and even why empiricism is necessarily incapable of in/validating any one of a number of explicit articles.

On the contrary, it is often stated that an empiricist is simply ignorant of it ... which in no way renders them unaffected by it

The point is that conditioned existence, whether we are talking about the metonymic scope of empiricism or the ability to protect/maintain ourselves either collectively or individually, is limited

you would still have the mind and body and its concomitant problems of maintenance within a greater paradigm that tends to more or less operate out of suffering

Death is as much a given as old age and disease and birth.

IOW the notion that god will protect me from these things is, at best, a very neophyte (and unsustainable) level of impetus for spiritual life

On the contrary, I would argue that atheism functions in that capacity, since a personality with divinity automatically delivers a state of subservience to all others

19. lightgigantic Banned Banned

If you can't come to grips with precisely how empiricism does and doesn't function and how it is limited, yet simultaneously insist that empiricism has an exclusive monopoly on all knowable claims (even up to the point of explicit terms), this is simply not possible for you.

If they are basing their presumptions on the notion that empiricism can in/validate explicit terms, they certainly do have quite a bit to prove ... albeit it will be as fruitful as proving round triangles or married bachelors and the like

Noted that you can't even re-iterate the argument without pasting in words I did not use.

I said it can't in/validate explicit terms ... which includes a helluva lot more than the mere "supernatural".

It means that it only has scope to tacit terms fixed between a certain threshold of the macro/micro-cosm.

So for instance in an empiricists explanation of what is the universe, where they are, what is a cup of flour (as well as what is god/spiritual world) etc all disappears at a certain point of discussion

For

well there are literally millions of people older than you on the planet yet I assume you didn't launch a thorough investigative program of inquiry on them all to determine who your parents are

Some people also believe empiricism has a monopoly on all knowable claims ... which is ironic, since that in itself proves that it doesn't
    :shrug:

20. lightgigantic Banned Banned

all you can do is talk about how empiricism invalidates god without ever, like as in ever at all, not in a single post, explaining how.

and I said henological debate also runs with the notion that versions of god are contrived, culturally developed etc without ever spilling into atheism.

If you want to talk about how things are demonstarted etc however, I suggest you pay a bit more attention to how empiricism does and doesn't function before you proceed

Obviously you don't know the difference between a tacit and explicit term.

Feel free to ask me and I will explain it to you.
    Alternatively you can try and throw something else in as an example.

The choice is yours

and alternatively one can also discuss the same historical information you draw on to present the exact opposite hypothesis. One of the good things about tentative arguments is that the opposition doesn't have to do much research for a refutation since the premises are so flexible.

I think its becoming clear you don't know what henology is ... much less who "my" god is ... but that aside, if you want to focus on god as presented through christian teachings, all you can do is present an argument for god being false that relies exclusively on controversial premises that don't draw a consensus from academics in the field.

still waiting for you to try tie down unicorns to explicit terminolgy (extra brownie points for not doing a "FSM" number).

Hint: before you try it, you might want to understand what is meant by explicit and tacit terms as they relate to empiricism and an investigation of the macro/micro-cosm

21. lightgigantic Banned Banned

It means you are not a controller of any significant capacity, so it doesn't behoove yourself to make assertions of independence that you clearly don't possess ... particularly if you are trying to say your assertions are empirically based.

22. Balerion Banned Banned

My experience doesn't fail to undermine the so-called "reliable" manner by which people discern who their parents are.

What do you mean by that? I assumed it to mean that you were saying you never intended to define "parent" as biological parent, but it's such a clunky sentence I admit it was a guess. Try phrasing it more clearly.

23. lightgigantic Banned Banned

It certainly does.
    Its not like your experience has catalyzed a dramatic change in how people in general reliably ascertain who their parents are, is it?

Why would one be interested in witnessing one's foster parent's copulating?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!