Computer Generated Trivia?

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by audiodude, Apr 13, 2013.

1. audiodude Registered Member

(originally posted in Computer Science & Culture)

Here's a problem that definitely has something to do with Natural Language Processing:

I've been searching all over the internet and can't find anything on the topic of computer or automatically generated trivia. At first glance, it seems like you could crawl Wikipedia and generate lots of interesting trivia questions. The hard part would then seem to be picking ones that are interesting to a human. For example "Stephen Merchant is the voice of Wheatley in Valve's 2011 video game Portal 2" could be easily transformed to "Who is the voice of Wheatley in Valve's 2011 video game Portal 2?". But is that actually a good trivia question? Is it pertinent and tantalizing?

Basically I'd like to know if anyone knows of any AI or expert systems that have been used to generate trivia. I'd also like to start a discussion on the relative difficulty of generating trivia from Wikipedia articles and the related problem of curating such trivia sets.

I know that Anaphora Resolution will come up in this...

Thanks!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mathers2013 Banned Banned

I'm not really interested in trivia. I don't like problems with only one solution.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Remember IBM's Watson, who won jeopardy?
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/feb/17/ibm-computer-watson-wins-jeopardy

If reprogrammed to create questions, I'm sure it could create millions per day.
    The odd one would not make sense though.

The difficulty in creating trivia quizzes is suiting them to the contestants.
    If people don't get at least half the questions right, they find them annoying.
    The setter needs to tailor the questions so that people either know, or can work out, most of the answers.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  8. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

No money in it, perhaps that's why it isn't being done?