Commercial bleach

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by John99, Mar 27, 2007.

  1. John99 Banned Banned

    Messages:
    22,046
    How is commercial bleach made? I read bleach is made up of components in sea water. Which ones and what other stuff is in there?

    How pure is commercial bleach?

    Do they add soap?

    How safe for humans as far as skin contact and breathing?

    When it dries what is left behind in resultant residue?

    The reason i want to know is because i use it all the time cleaning up after my critters

    Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

    instead of somtehing more toxic.

    Thats all i can think of right now but bleach is the third coolest liquid on the planet, after pure water and sea water- IMHO
     
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement



    to hide all adverts.
  3. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

    Messages:
    1,867
    I can't remember how bleach is made commercially, you can easily look that up. I do know certain elements are automatic bleaching agents, e.g Chlorine, Oxygen, Florine. Very reactive substances are usually good bleaching agents(halogens), depending on what you want to rid off. There are bleaching solutions for jewelry, cloths, graphites, ceramic. You could make soap by simple saponification(fat and base) and add a dash of these bleaching agents.
     
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement



    to hide all adverts.
  5. John99 Banned Banned

    Messages:
    22,046
    Should chlorine be on the list ornot?
     
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement



    to hide all adverts.
  7. Facial Valued Senior Member

    Messages:
    2,217
    Bleach is sodium hypochlorite - NaClO, so yes it has elements found in seawater. But I do not know how it is manufactured.

    Household bleach usually has concentrations of around 6% (whether it's mole fraction or weight percentage, I don't know). Other cleaners have lesser concentrations, for example, Tilex is 2% bleach. However, 6% is for all purposes maxed out for antimicrobial uses, and easily starts to infringe upon the safety of humans and their furry friends. These also emit caustic fumes.

    It's better to use a dilute solution instead. The EPA recommends around two drops of ordinary (6%) bleach to one gallon of untreated water to make it drinkable - this would be around the effective limit, with cleaning solutions significantly higher.

    If they added soap, as in sodium tallowate or sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate, you would observe bubbles. I do not recall seeing bubbles in bleach solutions, so I guess there is no soap.
     
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  8. John99 Banned Banned

    Messages:
    22,046
    Thanks.
     
  9. Positron Agony: Not all pain is gain Registered Senior Member

    Messages:
    171
    Just don't mix it with Hydrochloric acid

    Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!




    no really don't do it, you will die

    Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

     
  10. John99 Banned Banned

    Messages:
    22,046
    Thanks for the warning, i may have done just that.
     
  11. Positron Agony: Not all pain is gain Registered Senior Member

    Messages:
    171
    yea, it makes a large amount of chlorine gas, which if breathed will mkae your lungs fill with blood!

    Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

    and if you just breath a little it eats away the mucus membranes in your nose and you die from a nosebleed!
     

Share This Page