Comfort

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Flash, Dec 26, 1999.

1. Lori Registered Senior Member

Are you guys really that thick headed that you didn't understand what I was saying? Searcher, you're sounding more and more like my husband every day. You're sure you're not a guy? I mean, why do I have to explain in detail the most simple basic points to you all the time? Are you trying to be antagonistic or are you really that dense?

Flash, what I was implying, and if you actually pay attention to this you'll HAVE to realize that it's a pretty simple concept, that when you and I talk via e-mail, you cuss like a sailor just like I do. But for some reason, when you come out here, you don't.

Here's another example, I had a boss who was an absolute condescending bitch to her employees, but whenever HER boss came around, all of a sudden she spoke like a 900 number operator.

Here's another example, you know how some church people go to church every Sunday, and shake hands with people, and hold hands with their spouse, and hug everybody, and smile all fake like, and talk all "Jesus loves you, God bless you". Then as soon as they leave church, they go out to eat, and treat their waitress like a total dog, and then don't leave a tip (I used to be the waitress).

Here's another example, I read that Skye and 666 refer to friends as f*&k knuckle and bitch. I'm sure that you have told friends of yours to fuck off in jest when they were razzing you or arguing with you. I know I can't be imagining this, as I see this go on all around me everyday. At the office, some one is disagreeing about a basketball game, "Xavier's gonna kick UC's ass this year, you watch". And the response is from the UC grad, "oh, kiss my ass, you're f'ing crazy, UC's gonna pound you guys". My own mom thinks it's cute to flip me off. It is cute actually. Do you think that when I hear people speak this way that I automatically assume that they HATE the person they are talking to? Do you think I automatically assume that what I'm witnessing is an ATTACK OR A THREAT. Do I don't. Why? Because I'm not a lunatic, that's why.

And what the hell that has to do with taking a shit, I will never know! LMAO! Notice I said "alter the true nature of your personality and thoughts to gain the approval of a particular audience." And even that statement was in reference to "private vs public conversation". I guess that if it were YOUR TRUE NATURE to take a dump in public, and the only reason that you didn't do it was because you were trying to gain public approval, then yes, you would be acting. This is soooo irrelevant, I can't even believe I'm explaining this. This is what I'm talking about when I say that you are making this IMPOSSIBLE, Searcher. You don't even apply the most simple form of logic to your arguements. It's almost like you're arguing just for the sake of antagonism, rather than actually having a valid contention. I think that the problem lies in your assumptions. In what you've already decided to be true in your mind. You simply close off the possibility that your assumptions could be wrong, and therefore you can not learn anything that contradicts them. You've already decided that Christianity is a bunch of hooey, so you intentionally apply absolutely no logic or common sense whatsoever to any of the teachings or the scripture that you hear. You just ASSUME that they mean something completely ILLOGICAL, when in actuality they do not, you simply choose to see it that way. Same thing with me. You've already decided that I'm a hateful judgemental, close-minded bitch, so everything I say, you respond with some kind of idiotic antagonistic BS that doesn't even make any sense. Well the truth is that I consider you guys to be my friends, AND I'm not mean, hateful, judgemental, OR STUPID, so please would you just give it the f&*k up already? And yes, I'm still smiling, in a completely calm fashion.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

------------------
    "ET phone home!"
    "Uh, hello Satan?"
    "Hey, your plan worked great! They all think I'm cute!"

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Flash Registered Senior Member

Lori,
    The reason I do not come out here and cuss that much is out of respect to others that have found if offensive.. that's all. I'm not acting...I'm not seeking approval.. give me a little credit? Will ya?

[This message has been edited by Flash (edited December 30, 1999).]

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Lori Registered Senior Member

Ok, you can have some credit. What about me? Don't you respect me? Ok, so I'm being Searcher-ish here. I know what you are saying. What I'm saying is this....I'm not trying to offend anyone. Zow! Eureaka!!! Light bulbs going off all over the place!!!!(I'm being optimistic).

------------------
    "ET phone home!"
    "Uh, hello Satan?"

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Flash Registered Senior Member

LOL ok, ok, ok...
    Of course I respect you ... but, you do not have a problem with it when I do it... get it
    now?

8. Lori Registered Senior Member

Yes, pooky, I get it! And I just wish that everyone else felt the same way as me! Get it? ROFLMAO!

Hmmm...seems I can be a bit of an antagonist myself, eh?

------------------
    "ET phone home!"
    "Uh, hello Satan?"

[This message has been edited by Lori (edited December 30, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Lori (edited December 30, 1999).]

9. Searcher Registered Senior Member

Lori,

Um, I'm really that dense. Just ask ISDAMan - he'll explain it to you.

"Searcher-ish": I admire your vocabulary.

Lori, there really are different ways of communicating with others, and it depends on who the target audience is as to which styles/methods you should use. This is simply using good manners, as well as common sense.

Do you typically use the "F" word in front of children? What about your elders who consider it a sign of serious disrespect? Do you realize there may be children and elderly people on this board? Isn't it common sense to assume this may very well be the case in a public forum such as this?

Although you may consider all the regulars here your friends and peers, what about those who are just lurking here for the first time? How do you know what types of individuals comprise your audience in a public forum?

Although my language might deteriorate considerably amongst my peers, I cannot assume that it's only my peers who are reading these posts. What if my own mother drops in? I don't talk that way around her, out of respect. Truestory has stated her feelings quite clearly on the matter, so you are showing blantant disregard for her feelings when you use this kind of language. Doesn't she count at all?

If that's the way you talk to your friends, and they have no problem with it - great! But please limit it to your private conversations, okay? And if someone else eavesdrops on private conversations, then they deserve to be offended by what they hear.

------------------
    www.indigenousrocks.com

10. truestory Registered Senior Member

OH, NOOOOO!!!!

Not THIS discussion, AGAIN!!!

Anyway, thanks for thinking of me Searcher and you make a really good point about taking into consideration the age of people on the internet... I tend to forget that. I'll have to try and keep it in mind, 'cause... You never know!

It is not that I am offended by cussing...

Although I don't USUALLY use profanity, I have been known to react to such things as pain shooting through my body from a severely stubbed toe, for example, with explatives!

What I HAVE objected to and what I DO find offensive is name-calling and profanity which is directed "AT" an individual or group of individuals rather than "ABOUT" a situation... Particularly when you are not face-to-face with someone (as we are not on the internet) and the debate seems to be getting heated, cussing "AT" someone or calling them a derogatory name definitely comes across as a personal attack... An offense!

Clear as mud?

11. Lori Registered Senior Member

Searcher,

You are absolutely right, and I apologize for being dense. And no I don't cuss around children or my grandma. I don't want to offend anyone or teach a nasty habit to a youngster, that's for sure. I do occasionally get e-mails from people who read all of this stuff we get into without actually posting anything themselves. I got a really nice message from some guy right before Christmas with some words of encouragement. Ok, I'm making a promise right now that I won't cuss on this board ever again.

------------------
    "ET phone home!"
    "Uh, hello Satan?"

12. Searcher Registered Senior Member