$$$ College Education $$$

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Truenemo1889, Feb 16, 2004.

?

Federal/State funded education ?

1. Yes, I want that my government pays for my education. (Higher taxes, greater national dept, etc.)

21 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. No, I like it they way it is done and has been done for years. (grants, scholarships, loans,etc.

12 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

College education is useless. You gotta be an entrepeneur. And that is a whole different education...

I mean.... do you rather work at a clothing store getting paied $8 an hour to sell more then $100 worth of inventory or own the store and get paid to do anything? (Besides setting up the store, of course).

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

:bugeye:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. dixonmassey Valued Senior Member

To do that you got to have: 1) money or momma's basement; 2) reasonable chances to find that > 50k job; Not every Ph.D. holder have those prerequisites. And I can tell you, for survival sake (just for survival, no fancy jobs, etc.), having no $/job and having a Ph.D. is a way worse than having no $/job and having community college or HS school diploma.

My degree is quite meaningless. I did graduate work in materials science and got a Ph.D. in "systems engineering". It's my fault though. Should have never enrolled there. That kind of "degree" is a way for the engineering school to provide graduate labor for professors without having necessary means to maintain variety of graduate programs. They have fancy, to say the least, definition of "systems engineering" there too. However, I have never intended on science career (seen enough of 40 years old postdocs, slimebags and futility). However, entry level engineering jobs are effectively off limits to a Ph.D. holder, no experience for "experience" only jobs, graduate work on something of zero commercial value (a big NO to get an R&D job in industry) + meaningless degree from a 2nd tier school. Quite a loser

In two words, I'm screwed for life. I was looking for a suitable job 8 months (before running of $) to no avail. Had I been looking 8 years more, results would have been just about the same.

From experience of my utter failure I can tell you, if you really want that Ph.D.: avoid 2nd tier graduate schools (under normal circumstances), do graduate work in something that interests industry (i.e. industry, not government pays for). As much as they tell you, "it doesn't mater, what your thesis is about, you can always change directions along the road", it's not the case, it matters a lot, it pretty much defines your career destiny.

OK, now you can feel better

You can't be greater loser than me.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.