Colin Powell Submits Resignation

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Neildo, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

It's been a couple hours so far and I can't believe nobody made a thread about it. Anyhow, Colin Powell submits his resignation as well as a couple other cabinet members.

Colin Powell Submits Resignation

- N

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Most of the posters around here will be doing backflips. I am, personally, apathetic on the matter. Powell did a pretty goood job, but I do like Condoleezza Rice.

I can understand the decision. His was one of the hardest jobs in the country and he caught endless flak for it, no matter what decisions he made or their outcomes. As for the cabinet members, people asked for change so they are going to get it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

It was expected. After serving honorably in the military, he ended his public life as a gutless liar to the UN security council (and the world).

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Powell's resignation is no surprise, as he has said from the
    begining that he only intended to serve for a single term.

:m: Peace.

8. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

Rice was joke! She wasn't fooling anybody in her security role. She was what we call a 'Yes' women for Bush and all she did was to make excuses for Bush. She wasn't good for much of anything else except for playing the piano.

Atta Boy

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Powell was not asked to return (or so said CNN). The administration doesn't appear to want him around.

10. top mosker Ariloulaleelay Registered Senior Member

Last edited: Nov 16, 2004
  11. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Ms. Rice just doesn't seem right for the post. I'm not denigrating her, but she's more a cold war scholar than a diplomat, particularly since she is closely associated (rightly or wrongly) with the unilateralist stance the US has taken in the last few years.

I am also a bit surprised from another aspect, thinking about the confirmation hearings. While I certainly don't see the Democrats blocking her, they will ask a lot of questions about the Iraq War, 9/11, and basically give them a public forum for again debating the US foreign policy of the last 4 years. I wonder if one more public debate about the war is really what the Bush administration wants right now.

:m: Peace.

12. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Watch the photo editors on this one. I wonder whether the pictures of Dr. Rice will get better or worse? A few European outlets--I recall ragging on the Beeb once, but not too badly--make her look like the Devil, but, like Yeltsin looking drunk, I'm not sure there's anything to be done about it.

Anyway, for the appeal to ... something. In other words, don't read a fallacy into it, but I just wanted to dredge this up for the hell of it:

The ship was renamed Altair Voyager in May, 2001. Rotten.com quotes Chevron's Fred Gorell: "We made the change to eliminate unnecessary attention caused by the vessel’s original name."

The strange thing is that the only image I've found of the ship actually looks fake (I can't imagine it's real).

13. slotty Colostomy-its not my bag Registered Senior Member

So do you guys think Rice is going to be hawk or dove now? will she have any influence over Bush? Does she have any skeletons in the closet?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Roman Banned Banned

Rice is going to be a puppet. Powell was the only honorable man in Bush's Admin, and they kicked him out.
    Ah well, c'est la vie.

15. slotty Colostomy-its not my bag Registered Senior Member

yeh. thats what i think as well. Mind you ,i think they'll need a vice pres soon. Four heart attacks and counting, who's in the frame for that job?

16. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

I'm sure Powell is very tired after trying to talk sense to those knuckleheads for four years. It seems second term Bush admin is determined to have no voices of dissent. Probably his sense of duty is what kept Powell going this long.

17. top mosker Ariloulaleelay Registered Senior Member

I think you underestimate Rice. Powell was the puppet. Rice is right up there. Nine years at Chevron and she is quite the hawk.

18. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

According to the radio I heard on the way back from work, Rice is a puppet, since she agrees with Bush and doesnt do anything different to what he appears to want.

19. gort Registered Senior Member

Another thing is Powell was respected as a moderate voice of reason in Europe (even tho he had to come out with a load of crap to the UN to justify war) Rice is seen as another Bush hawk.
    Most of the british newspapers I've read seem to think this is a bad development

20. Johnny Bravo Registered Senior Member

Powell -a key player in the My Lai massacre cover up.
    He's been lying for the goverment for years.

21. top mosker Ariloulaleelay Registered Senior Member

Yes, and that seems to be what Bush is doing. Putting those that agree with him and never voice dissent throughout Washington. Just because she agrees does not make her a puppet. She is allegedly quite educated and knows exactly what she is doing.

22. Roman Banned Banned

The government's been lying for years. Get over it.
    At least Powell wasn't a hawk, and held Dumsfeld back.

23. Repo Man Valued Senior Member