ClO2-

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by jamesscape2, Jun 3, 2013.

1. jamesscape2 Registered Member

Hi,

Ive been having a debate with my mate about Chlorine Dioxide and how stable it is in water and as a gas, and weather is really exist. I believe / has seen in right in front of me that it is stable, but my mate doesn't.

Can someone please give me some information or advise to say to him. To change is mind about it.

His main problem is listening or believe that someone else is correct. So i need some solid evidence.

Thanks, if any of that made sense

P.s He think that he know everything about everything since hes in year 12

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. exchemist Valued Senior Member

I looked up my old Cotton & Wilkinson, 3rd Ed, and on p473 there is the following para: "Chlorine Dioxide is also highly reactive and is liable to explode very violently; apparently mixtures with air containing less than ~50ppm ClO₂ are safe. ClO₂ is useful as a very active oxidising agent........yellowish gas at room temperature.......although ClO₂ is an odd [electron] molecule, it has no marked tendency to dimerise, perhaps because the electron is more effectively delocalised than in other odd molecules such as NO₂........It is soluble in water and solutions with up to 8g/l are stable in the dark, but in light slowly decompose to HCl and HCLO₃....etc. "

So there you have it: it exists, is a gas, dissolves in water, but I wouldn't mess with it if I were you!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. jamesscape2 Registered Member

K thanks for that

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.