Clinton heads to North Korea to rescue Laura Ling and Euna Lee

Discussion in 'Politics' started by WillNever, Aug 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WillNever Valued Senior Member

Just today, Bill Clinton arrived in North Korea in order to save the lovely Laura Ling and Euna Lee from a decade long sentence of hard labor, imposed by North Korea's slimy little government. His plan is to seek amnesty. If it doesn't work, hopefully we won't be afraid to strong-arm the little assholes.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/08/03/nkorea.clinton/index.html

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Malikaru Banned Banned

bill clinton is an inspiration to us all.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

hmmm I wonder what type of post presidential work GW will do

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. WillNever Valued Senior Member

I respect my dogs more than I respect the entire country of North Korea, so I don't care how vocal they get.

8. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Heh they should ransom Bill.

9. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

the koreans would probably like your dogs too...but for dinner

10. WillNever Valued Senior Member

11. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Another Obama foriegn policy success!!!!

12. WillNever Valued Senior Member

Nay... as far as I can tell, Clinton's trip was wholly unannounced. I think we have Bill Clinton and his famously dynamic personality to thank for this. Let's not forget that during Clinton's time as president, relations with North Korea were better than they are now.

Obama might have been informed about this trip... but I doubt any of it was his idea, if he even cares about Ling and Lee. This seems to be a purely humanitarian move on Bill Clinton's part. Let's give credit to where credit is due, folks.

13. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

He saved them, but now they gotta be his interns...

14. StrawDog disseminated primatemaia Valued Senior Member

Remarkable what a little sincere diplomacy can achieve. A couple of folk over at the White House can learn from this.

15. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Interesting, Will. Sounds just exactly like how some people feel about gays, but you don't like that, do you? Yet here you're hating the entire fuckin nation of NK.

Are you being a bit of a hippo-critter here? Or at the gay thread? Or perhaps at both? ...LOL!

Baron Max

16. WillNever Valued Senior Member

^^^

Probably North Korean.

17. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Wasn't diplomacy, it was giving in to blackmail ...plain and simple.

And worse, Iran is going to take notice and probably do the same with their new "hostages".

A couple of people in the White House should learn from this!

Baron Max

18. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

That had next to nothing to do with Obama.

Besides, the reporters broke the laws, they pay the price. Why should we bail them out?

19. WillNever Valued Senior Member

Well, dictatorships are usually illegitimate claims to power is why. Dictatorships are not worthy of having their laws respected, because they are not legit. If it were another country like the UK, or Germany, or Norway, that Euna Lee and Laura Ling were crossing into illegally and smearing... then they wouldn't be hammered with some insane slave labor sentence for an absurd amount of years. In fact they would probably be extradited swiftly to our own judgement... which is what should have happened in this case. They are our citizens, not North Korea's... and crossing into their country does not somehow make Ling and Lee not American citizens anymore. We have a right and responsibility to bring them back here... and I know that if I were stuck in some hellhole like North Korea, I'd want to be brought back home too.

In this case, I'm just glad that Lisa ling's sister and her friend are now being brought back here where they belong. If you've watched any of Lisa Ling's documentaries on television, you would see that she is truly a kind person. She deserves the company of her sister.

20. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Clinton was a great POTUS.

21. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Pardon Us: Lee and Ling en route to United States

A sigh of relief.

His mission accomplished, former President Bill Clinton left Pyongyang early Wednesday accompanied by American journalists Euna Lee and Laura Ling after North Korean leader Kim Jong Il pardoned the women from their 12-year prison sentences.

Clinton and the two Californians were heading back to the U.S., his spokesman Matt McKenna said, less than 24 hours after the former U.S. leader landed in the North Korean capital on a private, humanitarian trip to secure their release ....

.... Their departure was a jubilant conclusion to a more than four-month ordeal for the women arrested near the North Korean-Chinese border in March and sentenced in June to 12 years of hard labor for illegal entry and engaging in "hostile acts."

Clinton's landmark trip to Pyongyang also resulted in rare talks with reclusive Kim Jong Il that state-run media described as "wide-ranging" and "exhaustive." The meeting was Kim's first with a prominent Western figure since reportedly suffering a stroke nearly a year ago.

North Korean media characterized the women's release as proof of "humanitarian and peace-loving policy." State media said Clinton apologized on behalf of the women and relayed President Barack Obama's gratitude. The report said the visit would "contribute to deepening the understanding" between North Korea and the United States.

(Lee)

It should be noted that, according to Daniel Sneider of Stanford University's Shorenstein Asia-Pacific Research Center, the Bill Clinton did not negotiate any specific deal, but, rather, "went to reap the fruits of the negotiation".

To what degree we might call this a foreign policy victory for the Obama administration is, presently, an open question. Some, certainly, will argue that the release of the two journalists suggests the power of civil and direct discussion. Others, of course, will point out that this is probably how the Kim regime wanted it played from the outset. Sneider said that, "Nobody wanted this to be a distraction from the more substantially difficult issues we have with North Korea," and that is probably the point. The two nations are talking. North Korea has withdrawn, allegedly permanently, from the six-party talks, but is open to direct discussion with the United States. This minor demonstration is likely geopolitical theatre intended to underscore that point.

The implications of the pardon and release are yet to be identified. For now, two American journalists are on their way home, and that seems enough to celebrate.

Notes:

Lee, Jean H. "Euna Lee, Laura Ling Leave North Korea With Bill Clinton". Huffington Post. August 4, 2009. HuffingtonPost.com. August 4, 2009. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/04/north-korea-welcomes-bill_n_250682.html

22. WillNever Valued Senior Member

Which is why Clinton was and still is immensely popular.

23. StrawDog disseminated primatemaia Valued Senior Member

So, you think good ole Bill got blackmailed eh? Perhaps he just spoke nicely?

Perhaps talking to Iran nicely, and then backing it up with action, will get positive results? You never know until you try it eh?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.