Clarifying when mods are entitled to delete posts

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by scott3x, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Bells Staff Member

Umm.. Have you been reading and actually paying attention to what my posts have been? To what I have been saying?

Then we shall all live happily ever after.

Maybe even bake cookies and cake together.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

What you think after everythng James has said he will suddenly change his mind? Or do you think that the admins will suddenly shift perspective for 3 disgruntled posters? You might as well hope for peace in the middle east!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

That would be nice.. Ok, you've won me over.
    Chocolate-chip ?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Sure. Its happened before.

8. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

9. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Just what are the possibilities of ovine aviation?

Three and a half. And it's not a greivance. It is a sad observation.

10. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

This is where I am forced to point out:

It's a fucking message board.

"The mods were demoted for questioning authority!"

"My thread got deleted!"

"I get warnings and bans when others don't!"

Like Confucious once said, "Ten million red Chinese don't give a shit."

Why posts get deleted:

1) You are going above and beyond just to be an officious little prick.

2) You're talking about an irrelevant point.

3) You're saying something that is so utterly bugfuck crazy it's scaring other people on the board.

11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

About the same as the possibilities of bovine aviation.

12. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

I know talkandjive even I'm getting a little annoyed with all the kvetching. If only people would put this amount of energy into the environment or meddling with local policitics.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

15. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Enmos: Three and a half. And it's not a greivance. It is a sad observation.

Perhaps but at this point its looking more like an ego crusade than anything else. How much power can one closed thread have in anyones life.

16. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

Yeah, but on the plus side, if they were putting this effort into environmentalism, it would be just as messed up. You'd have scott3x running proposals to put booties on all the local weasels and deer.

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

It was Ophiolite that said that, but I agree with your answer.

18. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Sam, I can't read the whole thread to get to the point. What change came from that?

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Demotion, or at least that's how she experiences it.

20. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

copernicus66:

It is not true that moderators may arbitrarily disregard the rules that apply to all members. In fact, many moderators, myself included, have at one time or other been subject to moderation for breaches of posting guidelines.

That is incorrect. See my previous post on this issue.

Who are you talking about? When did this happen? Be specific.

Repeating your claims doesn't make your case any stronger.

Then the average posters start complaint threads and/or PM the administrators. Either way, the administrators look into the matter and decide if the complaints justify removal of the moderator in question. As I said, this is not a democracy. But that doesn't mean that administrators don't care what the members think. Far from it. For instance, I'm having this discussion with you.

You did notice the smiley at the end there, didn't you?

Please search Gendanken's posts as moderator so you can make a valid comparison.

I didn't say that. Again, I direct you to my previous posts when I explained why SAM was demoted.

I'm not that concerned about proving that particular point. I'm happy to let it go.

But was he disgruntled because he was arrested, or was he arrested because he was disgruntled? That's the question.

Which member? When? Let's talk specifics.

You appear to be peddling some kind of conspiracy theory in which moderators rule with an iron fist, targeting innocent members because they develop a group dislike due to the noble one's daring to question the moderators. It's a little paranoid, copernicus66.

You're not disgruntled yourself, are you, by any chance? Not previously banned under a different name or anything like that?

Ophiolite:

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that moderating sciforums is a professional calling and that moderators receive training and "education for the role". I know we run this place like a well-oiled professional organisation, but in fact we're a bunch of well-intentioned volunteers, by and large. We learn on the job.

As for experience, obviously none of us can hope to approach your experience, and I'm sure you'd do a much better job than any moderator or administrator here. Certainly, you are an accomplished armchair commentator.

Tell me, Ophiolite - how many years experience and how much training do you think should be required before somebody ought to be permitted to moderate an internet forum? To make this definite, do you consider my 12 years or so insufficient? If so, what qualifications for the job do you think I lack?

21. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Talkandjive: You'd have scott3x running proposals to put booties on all the local weasels and deer.

Haha! Thanks for my first laugh of today!

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

What makes you think this is about ONE closed thread? This is about threads being consistently locked or deleted, posts being selectively deleted, being insulted for being a theist as well as for ridiculous charges of hate speech and anti-semitism to suppress political/relgious opinions which the admin/mod are opposed to.

This is NOT about one closed thread.

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Hmm you're overreacting.