Civilization 3. OH MY GYAD

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Pollux V, Nov 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Go out and get this game NOW. NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW.

It's so awesome.

Let me describe my experiences.

I started out with the Roman Empire and began building cities along the coastline of the humble continent I started out at, quickly gaining the lead score in the game. Then I began to encounter my only neighbors of the land, the nefarious egyptians. I immediately buit up archers around their borders and invaded, breaking their back and taking their capital very quickly. By the time christ was born I had the continent to myself, and I had begun to explore the distant oceans, trading maps with new neighbors I encountered to get a better picture of the world.

I then invaded the Aztecs on the largest continent with many of the countries upon it (I shall call this one "Europe"). I sent vast hordes of convoys across the great oceans, landing my troops and gaining early victories. But it was all in vain. They had a weak defense rating, all of them, and so my expeditionary force was destroyed. It wasn't long before a galley found its way to my shores, and my beloved great city, the second one I had founded--Ivluvcatan, fell and was raised to the earth by their barbarism. I quickly quelled their invasion, but even now the damage is irreparable. My nation is still recovering from that blow, five hundred years later....

And so then I made peace with them and set my sights on France, the great nation to the south. I landed many troops there and managed to take one city before I got my ass kicked by their dragoons (or guys with guns on horses). I made peace with them, but they still hate my ass.

England looked easier to destroy. I am now in the process of invading England, but they have allied themselves with many people around the world, forcing me to go to war with almost every nation on earth (except for, thank god, the french, who are easily several times more powerful than I am). The Great War has started, and they will soon all be under my dominion. Even the French.

See what it did to me??? This game is unbelievable, it is amazingly provacative, in depth, just PERFECT PERFECT PERFECT.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

I got this game for xmas last year and it has at times caused great distress. Every cpl months I start a game and get so thoroughly addicted I end up playing till 4 or so in the morning. I can win at the next to easiest level fairly easy but I do not even wanna try the next level cus it will take too much time to play a game.

I agree it kicks ass. You have to use your head if you wanna be good. But it takes up giant chunks of time.

I like playing as the persians the best. They get immortals which rock.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Yeah, I'm starting to think that I should start a new game on the next difficulty level, with the real world map...heheheh.

That reminds me, just a few moves ago the persians landed some troops on an island that was my only source of salt peter. Needless to say I wound up shelling out half my gold for peace between us.

But I like the Romans, next time I'll probably play as unt deuschs, or however it is spelt...

I would play till four in the morning if I could. But I can't, parents kick me off at nine pm. Keeps me in check, I have to admit. I'd play until I passed out if I could...

Right now except for France everyone is stuck in the early modern era, so it's like the 1970s with horses and riflemen n stuff.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

actually, Shrike, I've been playing this game all this and the previous week.

This is after I got fed up with it some 5 months ago, but now I have returned to it

it's a grat and endless game

I'm playing as the Chinese now - Have vanquished (sp) France and Japan- still have India on my continent. I'm playing the "large" map - it's big lol

8. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Civilization: Call to Power was the worst game ever. I got up to the point where I was building plasma tanks, while my neighbors were just moving onto knights. I sent two plasma tanks after 3 of his knights and the plasma tanks lost the battle. After that I just uninstalled the game and haven't touched it since. I mean, plasma tanks vs knights? And the knights win?

I wanna get O.R.B, it's finally out after 5 years of development. Looks like an awesome game. Hard to believe it was already in dev. for 2 years when Homeworld came out. Unfortunatly, my computer's too slow to run it =/, time for an upgrade.

9. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

It's so damn hard. I can't vanquish a single member on the second difficulty level. They demand stuff from me, I refuse, then they invade, and I die. It sucks.
    I might have to get back to the previous games.

But anyway, I found a hack or somehting that supposedly allows you to reset the year in the game, so you can play until you win. Hope it works when I try it out. If anyone wants it I'll email it to yas.

10. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

I most definately agree. Its a SWEEEET game. I bought mine back in June and Just recently bought the expansion pack: Play the world. It has multiplayer capabilities (though MP wont work until those bastards release a patch to make the game playable). Mucho lago. You should buy it. I think nenar tronian is getting it to. After were all hooked up well be able to play eachother on the net. OR create a sciforums clan or something.

BTW, advice for newcomers:
    -Religious is the best quality. TRy culture bombing early on. Industrious is also good. Some qualities were made for eachother. For example. Scientific and militaristic dont fit that well together, but when scientific is fitted with the industrious quality you got gold. Ottomans and persians are good.
    -when you learn the deep intraquicies of the game, you WILL be a war monger. At that time, civilizations such as the Japanese will become your favourite.
    -when your one turn away from a tech, pull the tax bar back as far as you can. Many cups that might go wasted are now manually turned into wealth.
    -avoid ROP. Especially witth some civs. They'll screw you ever time.
    -Ghandi is a bloodthirsty war monger.
    -irrigate plains and mine grassland.
    -keep a balance in production. Don't build to many military units unless you need them. Also, some cities can be left undefended
    -divide and conquer.
    -Conversly, don't build too much culture unless your religious.
    -Regent is the only level the comp does not cheat on. In warlord and chieftan, they cheat IN YOUR favour.
    -Register for the apolyton.net forums. Most of the information you'd ever need to know is there. Civfanatics.com is also pretty good. I can't tell you everything you need to know. THERES SOOO much. But if you have any questions, I'll gladly answer. I haven't a game in the last 20 I've played (large/huge maps on regent - an easy level.)

Now go play Civ3!

11. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Oh ya, I wouldnt start out as the romans if I were you. Try persia or the babs. Other civs will respect you if you have more culture. And remember, DO NOT spend all your production on culture.

Another way to play is to start out by rexing, as in expanding RAPIDLY, take all land you can. For the first few thousand years, build nothing but settlers. Most civs wont declare war early early unless there the zulu or aztec. Expand, then build a worker every odd city, And then build up defense, After sufficient defense is built focus on culture and productivity.

One more thing - You'll soon learn that the cost of increasing the luxury slider is often offseted by the reduced corruption and increased productivity. Don't be shy when using it. 10 - 20% is usually enough. In the early early game, set science and luxury low, rake in the cash.. Ahhhh!!! so many thoughts. Civ 3 is truly a deep game. Alas, you must learn most of this on your own. The learning curve is HUGE, but you will learn.

Wait till you learn the pleasures of tanks and modern armour...

12. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Yeah, I've discovered how great the Persians are. I easily wiped out the chinese on a large map (for some reason huge maps have a big load time in between turns on my machine) with tons of immortals, and the poor bastard greeks found themselves stuck on a small island, so I'm invading them now. After that, maybe Britain, because they're stuck on another island and have no economy. My territory is huge because I built a ton of settlers, and my culture en't that bad either (I stole the pyramids from the weakling chinese!!).

13. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Chinese are not weak!!
    I already have the most territory and soon I will have all the continent (stupid Indians) [me playing on huge I think- or was it large- whatever]

14. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I think huge is the biggest, while large is second-biggest. I'm playing on second-biggest. I've taken several of the Greek cities, but those greasy little bastards are tenacious ones they are, they have a great economy so they keep throwing trooper after trooper at me, even though they haven't taken a single city back. I've now industrialized, but like all of my cities started starving, they lost maybe one or two citizens before tapering off. This never happened to me before, hath it happened to anyone else?

15. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

I am about to win the game I am on with Persians. I am playing at next to easiest level, large map i think. I had to go peaceful for awhile due to war weariness. I am thinking of a revolution to lead a final assualt to victory. Pentagon + military academy + modern armor is a wonderful thing.

I usually spend the 1st 1000 years or so building settlers and expanding my borders. I then start building units like immortals for the persians & taking out border towns. Once I am sure I have more area than everyone else, I will settle down and build more settlements to fill out my area. During the next 1000 yrs or so I put all I can into science to get turnaround to 4 turns. This way I make it to tanks then modern armor faster than anyone else. If you can do that...its over.

Next I am gonna go for regent level if I find the time.

16. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Wooo!! I "got" this game now!! Wooo!!!

I'm the Germans and have made friends with Russia....and thats about it really

17. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I haven't been here in awhile because of this game. I'm still working at it, at one point I was fighting every country on the map, but I've managed to make peace with all of them except for my arch nemesis--Mahatma Ghandi. The little brown squirrel is starting to lose now that I have the tank, I've taken several more of his cities and am finally wiping out his infantry. Rrrr...it's so much fun now that I'm winning.

Thor I generally thought that the Russians in the game at least were assholes (careful because AVATAR is here). And remember, early on, if you can invade em, do it. Chances are your advantages will be lost as the game progresses because of how damn good the computer is.

And keep producing settlers until you're bordering your neighbors, take up every ounce of territory there is, no matter how crappy the economy.

18. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Avatar is indeed here, but he has nothing against beating up Russia.
    it's sort of the arch enemie of Latvia

along with the Germany (but that's an old case - 1201- ~1850). But today it's another Germany I think, but the Russia and Russians (in general of course - I have some russian friends) are still the same.

19. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Well then. My intentions have been reaffirmed.

20. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Right, building settlers as we speak and I'm building as many mines as possible. Also, lots of men. Lots and lots of men

21. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Right, update time

Russia thought they were all cool and buff (when they were weak) and tried to threaten the Republic of Germany by asking for some maps and lots of gold. Fook are the Germans gonna cave in to that!! So I said something about empty threats and war were declared.

Ah ha, pitiful army. Defended my capital city of Karmessum with minimal losses. Great I thought!!

Then France declared war on me...then my long time friends England.

So, summarising it so far...I'm in the shit

22. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Maybe it's time to retire and start over. Retirement is actually pretty cool, the game shows you all these stats and charts and things, plus the world leaders make fun of you. You also get to see how you affected the world, and get a timeline through a world map. I've started over maybe six or seven times, I've never won a game, but hey, I've never lost either

I once got so pissed off after I researched replaceable parts, because I wanted to invade Rome but they had infantry. It so turned out that I had no rubber. So I was screwed. That sucked major ass.

23. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I am Chinese.
    At first I destroyed the French but for the love of thrill I allowed their last city to stay. Now they have 2 cities. lol
    so I didn't destroy the French.

then there were Japanese- they were the second strongest civ on map and had salpeter - which I had not!!! They had gunpowder units and my units were no match for them.
    So I started the great Salpeter wars .
    Man it was tough. I sometimes lost some 5 my units on one their cavalry. I got a heap of units into one of their cities close to the salpeter mines and held there until they destroyed on it the mass of their units. After their main force was destroyed (I had sent a Rider to the salpeter mine and cut it off from their network

)
    I slowly slowly progressed. Then I thought tom IMPORT salpeter lol - Ipaid 3000gold and chemestry for it to get it from the Greeks. Then it was finito for Japanese (oh- I had an alliance against them with the Indians then)

Then I started to prepare for war with the Indians. Some 40 workers were laying railways all through the territory - so I could send units to and from any of my cities or place on my territory map INSTANTLY - that's very important.

Now I'm in war with the Indians.
    I couldn't have fought them before because they had like CARAVANS of war elephants - but now they are no match for my many rifleman and those upgraded rifleman (what vere they)

now atm their main elephant force is destroyed (oh I have the only salpeter resource on the continent so those weaklings can not build gunpowder units

war is going on good-
    I'll destroy them all - hate them - they fought good lol

but I'll leave the French.
    reminds me of the very first years of my rulement lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.