cirumcision poll

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Asguard, Jan 7, 2010.

?

when i reached the age of medical consent I...

1. Female: i chose to have the clit skin removed(FC)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Female: I chose NOT to have the Clit skin removed (FC)

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  3. Male: I chose to have my forskin removed (MC)

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  4. Male: I chose NOT to have my forskin removed (MC)

11 vote(s)
    52.4%
  5. Female: I chose to have more than just the skin removed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Male: I chose to have more than just the skin removed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other (god only knows what you would put under this but *shrug*)

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Enmos Valued Senior Member

If he is tight that may be a reason to circumcise, but if he isn't I don't see why he should be circumcised.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Yeah enmos, I already explained all that. It is VERY TIGHT and will hardly pull back. He is going to be 9 and has had 3 infections ( a while back) which he needed antibiotics to go away. He was in a lot of pain when he had to pee though. She gave us some cream to put on to thin out the skin on top, but that didn't really do much. She said we will wait and see what happens because it doesn't obstruct him peeing or cause him any pain, except trying to push the skin back to hard. I am hoping that it fixes itself.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I know you explained all that already. I'm just saying that that's a medical reason to circumcise.
    And I really don't think it's going to fix itself.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. WillNever Valued Senior Member

It sounds like your kid was born with phimosis, which is an unnatural deformity and not at all common.

8. superstring01 Moderator

Probably not.

Us circumcised people just don't get it.

~String

9. WillNever Valued Senior Member

I thought as much. Thanks for stopping by.

10. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Okay, so considering my other son has never had any problems. Can you see why I think that I could have prevented these problems if I had him circumcised too. I think that there are more pros then cons when it comes to having it done. I think that parents also look at the information out there and make an educated decision. They aren't out to mutilate their son, or do anything to lesson their quality of their sexual lives in the future.

I am still not buying this whole circumcised men are traumatized for life because they are missing some foreskin. Unless you have had the chance of having sex both cut and uncut how would you know the difference? :shrug:

11. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Mod Hat - Notes around

Mod Hat — Notes around

Did you mean uncircumcised? I normally wouldn't bother, but I'm trying to figure out new policy standards that have us playing the role of grammar police. I mean, I think I know what you mean—really, it seems pretty obvious to me—but if I take you literally, I might have to sanction you for your dishonest portrayal of a circumcision opponent.

• • •​

I probably wouldn't bother with this, either, but I received a note about it. While I personally would have chuckled and murmured, "Well played", I am slightly confused by the new standards we are to enforce, so I'm unsure whether to take you dispassionately and literally, and sanction you for racism, or recognize the blatantly obvious sarcastic play on what I consider a racist implication that being African somehow makes one different as a human being compared to everyday citizens in developed countries. I'm pretty sure I know what you mean, but if I take it literally and without any reference point for context ....

• • •​

General Note:

Members are advised that recent standards asserted by the administration indicate that it doesn't really matter what you actually say or mean. If someone else botches the reading, there could be trouble. And if that someone is a moderator, there's very little for you as far as recourse. The present standard for justifying our action does not require us to actually demonstrate the offense; we merely need to claim it.

As such, people should probably brush up on their grammar skills in order to avoid misunderstandings. Likewise, people should be cautious when employing sarcasm or other rhetorical devices, as our standard of literacy around here disdains the idea that people should be able to understand such methods.

Please take the necessary precautions to protect yourself against misunderstandings.

Thank you.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

But the doctor checked him out as an infant, right? He or she should have told you guys that his tight foreskin may become a problem. Then it would have been done for a proper medical reason.
    Personally, I think you shouldn't circumcise your kids without consulting a doctor on the necessity of it (unless it's because of your religion, but that a different discussion). If there is no necessity, why do it?
    So I think we agree.

13. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Point taken. Apologies to any who were offended.

14. WillNever Valued Senior Member

Well played how? By ignoring that African HIV infested shitholes are saddled under different burdens than exist here in the developed world, and that therefore extrapolating disease prevention data from those places and applying it to the developed world is rather meaningless? Or by drawing the point off topic with the age-old coping mechanism of accusing the opponent of racism for merely citing differences in such African HIV infested shitholes?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Yes I did, I edited my post. Grammar police huh?
    Have fun with Asquard's posts.

What do you mean by Sanction you for your dishonest portrayal......
    All I did was forget to put a UN in front of a word. lol

16. WillNever Valued Senior Member

Oi, what's amusing is that racial considerations DO play a factor in epidemiology, although in this case they are not relevant. I doubt that the klownshoes running around in this thread are aware of that, however.

17. PsychoTropicPuppy Bittersweet life? Valued Senior Member

We're in a jolly mood, aren't we? I searched for 'merly' and couldn't find it. So, what do you mean by that: 'we merly need to claim it.'

Circumcision seems to be a funny topic.

PS: Sorry about the awful grammar.

18. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Mod Hat - Well pointed

Mod Hat — Well pointed, sir, and other notes

Touché. Amended. Thank you for pointing out my error. I would hate to have further distressed or confused anyone.

• • •​

Like I said, if I took you literally ....

Right now we have no real boundaries or guidelines for the new standard, which seems to have been invoked ad hoc. Until then, in order to apply the rules fairly ... well, it's going to take some figuring.

19. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

An important difference

Being in Africa affects one's risk of encountering a pathogen. In terms of actual infection, there are multiple factors describing the difference between those of poverty or affluence. That is, the reduced benefit for people in developed countries has nothing to do with physiology. If various factors in, say, the United States, such as sanitation, nutrition, and medical infrastructure decline too greatly, the benefit of circumcision will become much more significant.

20. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Like Asguard mentioned, I have a female friend who was circumcised by some retired doctor in a back alley somewhere (he did a good job to my surprise). And on her behalf I have to say what she says to people who speak out against FGM. "Don't assume how much cut women do or don't enjoy sex" She says her sex life is better since the operation, something about having more intense orgasms or whatever. She's happier because she feels like she is following her cultural heritage and religious beliefs. Unlike you she can compare sex before and after, and all of the FGM propaganda does not really apply when performed by an actual doctor in sterile conditions. I don't support either male or female circumcision for cosmetic reasons, but I understand that parents make lots of permanent decisions for their children. And hopefully they have their child's best interest at heart when making those choices in their stead. So to each their own, but my son won't be circumcised without a medical concern that I think is valid.

21. WillNever Valued Senior Member

Correct. The typical Kenyan's rate of exposure to HIV is leaps and bounds higher than the average American's. Of course even the most minor defense mechanisms will have sigifnicantly more effect, if you encounter someone who is infected again and again and again.

However, that situation is immaterial to the citizens of the developed world. Citing a situation where Ugandans, Kenyans, and South Africans are found to significantly benefit from HIV preventing mechanisms is rather meaningless in a country where the average person never needs to worry about HIV in the first place.

22. WillNever Valued Senior Member

Agree.

Fox and the grapes. People in this thread have had theirs stolen, thus they pretend it is "not useful." Now, you can decide that about your own body parts... but not about OTHER people's body parts that you lack and have never experienced. In the meantime, sex with a foreskin is superior to sex without one, all other things being equal.

As for the antiquated comments about hygiene... hey, you guys ever hear of taking showers and using soap and water..? If you wanna pull that worthless argument outta your hat, then let's talk about the insides of vaginas and what can be found there. Shall we start boring out every pussy that we find, just because yeast and bacteria and stale piss reside up inside there..? Don't be absurd. Girls can douche and we can grab a washcloth. You don't need to scar yourself to stay clean.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2010
  23. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Can't he just have a little cut along one side as opposed to taking the foreskin clean off??