Circumcision is a crime now in Germany

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Syzygys, Jun 26, 2012.

1. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

decrease in probability of STD infection by 38%-66%

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bells Staff Member

Right..

A number of important differences from sub- Saharan African settings where the three male circumcision trials were conducted must be considered in determining the possible role for male circumcision in HIV prevention in the United States. Notably, the overall risk of HIV infection is considerably lower in the United States, changing risk-benefit and cost-effectiveness considerations. Also, studies to date have demonstrated efficacy only for penile-vaginal sex, the predominant mode of HIV transmission in Africa, whereas the predominant mode of sexual HIV transmission in the United States is by penile-anal sex among MSM. There are as yet no convincing data to help determine whether male circumcision will have any effect on HIV risk for men who engage in anal sex with either a female or male partner, as either the insertive or receptive partner. Receptive anal sex is associated with a substantially greater risk of HIV acquisition than is insertive anal sex. It is more biologically plausible that male circumcision would reduce HIV acquisition risk for the insertive partner rather than for the receptive partner, but few MSM engage solely in insertive anal sex.

---------------------------------------------------

As CDC proceeds with the development of public health recommendations for the United States, individual men may wish to consider circumcision as an additional HIV prevention measure, but they must recognize that circumcision 1) does carry risks and costs that must be considered in addition to potential benefits; 2) has only proven effective in reducing the risk of infection through insertive vaginal sex; and 3) confers only partial protection and should be considered only in conjunction with other proven prevention measures (abstinence, mutual monogamy, reduced number of sex partners, and correct and consistent condom use).

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/factsheets/circumcision.htm

In short, use a condom..

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

The only reason people have circumcision is religious and cultural. Therefor, this is a direct attack on religion and culture. Which is fine, when you consider the religion has a culture of cutting a part of a baby's penis off.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

The study you mention indicates that probability of vaginal intercourse HIV transmission rate is indeed reduced, which means lives saved. And as condom companies warn all, this product is not intended to fully protect the user against STD transmission. As condoms break too, or tear, and etc. Perhaps the measure of circumcision is drastic but it still is beneficial.

Of course my personal views in the Germany case is that such measures arose from political reasons and not because of any health associated reasons. As Horst Seehofer of the Christian Democratic Union Party said, "It is obvious that immigrants from Turkey and Arab countries face more difficulty integrating into German society than other immigrants" and " the conclusion is that we don’t need additional immigrants from 'foreign cultures".

8. Bells Staff Member

The CDC were quite clear. Using a study from Africa where the transmission of HIV is more common with male/female sexual intercourse and attempting to use it in the US, where it is more commonly transmitted throush anal sex cannot really provide a clear and accurate picture of the its reduction of the disease in the US. With the spread of HIV being much lower in the US as it stands at present, one should consider whether one should even consider circumcision for this specific reason.

And it is also clear that it does not provide protection for the person being inserted with the penis, circumcised or not. And it recommends that adult males can consider circumcision with other safe sex practices if they wish to truly reduce transmission of the disease. In other words, it should never be considered as a sole form of protection and it cannot.

Because people in Germany often walk around with their penis hanging out and those with a circumcised penis would just stick out of the crowd of those who are uncircumcised, and thus, would find it difficult to intergrate? Circumcisions in religious ceremonies will still continue, regardless of what the laws state. People will still find a way to remove the foreskin from their baby boys, even though it isn't necessary.

Some of those cultures also perform FGM. Are you saying that countries in the West should allow that as well so that migrants can fit in with their respective new societies?

But lets have a look at this ban and the panic it has caused a bit more clearly, shall we?

The court in the western city of Cologne handed down the decision on Tuesday in the case of a doctor prosecuted for circumcising a four-year-old Muslim boy who had to be treated two days later for post-operative bleeding.

It ruled involuntary religious circumcision should be made illegal because it could inflict serious bodily harm on people who had not consented to it.

However, the ruling, which applies only to the Cologne area, said boys who consciously decided to be circumcised could have the operation.

No age restriction was given, or any more specific details.

Not really a ban, is it?

It is saying that boys should be given a say over what happens to their bodies. The horror... I am sure the religious people who wish to circumcise their sons for religious reasons will be able to drive to another region and have it done.

9. iceaura Valued Senior Member

According to the abstract, the study and analysis simply assumed - specifically stated - that all the circumcisions in its data were elective and all babies were equal. They made no attempt, as far as I can see, to separate out the more serious situations and the ones most likely to have complications or risks. That and their suspect rhetoric casts some doubt on their conclusions.
    No, it isn't. Your own links substantiate definite claims of protection, and that's just from one disease - vulnerability to several diseases is reduced by circumcision.

You may find the reduction insufficient to justify the procedure, especially in the case of Western culture with its much smaller risks overall. Others may not.
    I can see where they come from. They are nevertheless bizarrely inflamed and overwrought rhetorical garbage.

No one is talking about removing anyone's penis. As far as I know there is no comparable common operation or standard mutilation of women's genitalia or any other part - maybe high heels in shoes?

The people who most favor male circumcision consider the male penis to be quite important, I can guarantee you.
    No informed and sane person views the standard forms of female genital mutilation as being "the same" as the standard forms of male circumcision. They are radically different in psychological motive and physical effect, risks and consequences, significance and sociological implication.
    Yes, it does.
    Starting when they are children. That will help, but not fully protect them from the small but noticeable extra risk of infections, STDs, etc.

It's a matter of judgment and reason, well handled in Australia apparently. Meanwhile, the law in Germany is clearly aimed at Muslims and Jews.

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Because a doctor says you should. It had a lot to do with why my son/husband/brothers were. I imagine there are doctors out there that still think that

11. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

...and 61 years later I still daily endure the distinctly uncomfortable physical repercussions of that routine institutionalized religious/surgical child abuse.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

When my son was born, nurses kept coming it to the room saying "You forgot to sign the consent form for his circumcision." and trying to hand me a clipboard. I just kept repeating that I would not allow my new son to be mutilated without cause or reason. After 4 tries they quit.

It is a parents responsibility to see that their child is well - treated and protected from harm when they are born. Surgical mutilation of their sex organs does not fit that responsibility set, regardless of the parents individual religious hooey beliefs. If the parents will not protect the child from harm, it behooves the state to do so with laws that forbid such cruel an inhumane treatment. (yeah, I heard and saw the little boys scream in the hospital videos when they got the ends of their dicks cut off without anesthesia.

)

There is no scientific justification for surgically mutilating a baby of either sex and it should be illegal to do so. If the child wishes to get that done when he/she is an adult, they should go for it. Otherwise, no.

12. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

because when they need it as men they'll wish it was done to them as babies.

it's easier for it to be done when one is a baby, and it's no big deal, mutilation is too strong a word, and there is more scientific/health evidence for it than against it, as a matter of fact, there's nothing against it, just people who don't care about their ten thousand body parts, and care about a small potion of foreskin that serves no purpose except help germs collect. if it does no harm, then it does no good either.

it's a win/no lose situation.

then along come people with a grudge against religion...

i mean, compare it with piercing little girls' ears, who cries "mutilation!" at that? parents think it's cuter, they do it, albiet it may cause infection, not prevent it, and nobody says anything.
    have it say in a religious book to pierce girls ears, and you'll have a page of applause on sciforums when russia brands it illegal.

13. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

oh and i'm glad to see nasor still around, iceaura idk, though his input is well framed in this thread, i remember i didn't like him much before. but the vaccination comparison fits well.

14. Bells Staff Member

You mean like the studies which state that HIV transmission is greatly reduced if the male is circumcised?

Yes. It may offer a minute level of protection to the male. However it offers little protection to the woman. In fact, the opposite to the woman may very well be the case:

There is no evidence that circumcision increases or decreases the risk of HIV transmission by HIV-infected men. However, risk compensation by HIV-infected circumcised men will substantially increase the risk of transmission to their sex partners. This suggests that, in the short term at least, circumcision would reduce the incidence of HIV among men, but increase the incidence among women, translating to increased prevalence among women, which in turn translates to greater risk to men. Epidemiological models of MC should take this dynamic into account.

It also carries with it the risk of complacency and the mistaken belief that circumcision will now allow STD's and HIV/AIDS to spread. This is inherently false and dangerous.

Possibly because you do not see removing perfectly healthy and non-deformed tissue from a newborn baby for religious or cosmetic reasons as being a form of mutilation?:shrug:

Oh, I am sure they do. After all, we have religious practices around actually slicing off skin of the male genatalia as forms of either a religious rite of passage or as a form of reminding one's self of one's God.. Why God would request parents cause their newborn children untold amount of pain is beyond me personally.

But why don't we talk about removing people's penis? It does happen during male circumcision and it isn't that uncommon for things to go wrong, resulting in painful reconstruction surgery. As for female genital mutilation. What of it? Many cultures deem it important to remove the hood of the woman's clitoris. And yet, we find that repulsive and see nothing about removing the hood of the male penis?

Why is that?

We correctly talk about how and why FGM reduces a woman's ability to experience pleasure during sex. And yet, no one mentions why circumcision became so popular in many English speaking Western countries.

Non-religious circumcision in English-speaking countries arose in a climate of negative attitudes towards sex, especially concerning masturbation. In her 1978 article The Ritual of Circumcision,[40] Karen Erickson Paige writes: "In the United States, the current medical rationale for circumcision developed after the operation was in wide practice. The original reason for the surgical removal of the foreskin, or prepuce, was to control 'masturbatory insanity' – the range of mental disorders that people believed were caused by the 'polluting' practice of 'self-abuse.'"

"Self-abuse" was a term commonly used to describe masturbation in the 19th century. According to Paige, "treatments ranged from diet, moral exhortations, hydrotherapy, and marriage, to such drastic measures as surgery, physical restraints, frights, and punishment. Some doctors recommended covering the penis with plaster of Paris, leather, or rubber; cauterization; making boys wear chastity belts or spiked rings; and in extreme cases, castration." Paige details how circumcision became popular as a masturbation remedy:

"In the 1890s, it became a popular technique to prevent, or cure, masturbatory insanity. In 1891 the president of the Royal College of Surgeons of England published On Circumcision as Preventive of Masturbation, and two years later another British doctor wrote Circumcision: Its Advantages and How to Perform It, which listed the reasons for removing the 'vestigial' prepuce. Evidently the foreskin could cause 'nocturnal incontinence,' hysteria, epilepsy, and irritation that might 'give rise to erotic stimulation and, consequently, masturbation.' Another physician, P.C. Remondino, added that 'circumcision is like a substantial and well-secured life annuity...it insures better health, greater capacity for labor, longer life, less nervousness, sickness, loss of time, and less doctor bills.' No wonder it became a popular remedy."[40]​

At the same time circumcisions were advocated on men, clitoridectomies (removal of the clitoris) were also performed for the same reason (to treat female masturbators). The US "Orificial Surgery Society" for female "circumcision" operated until 1925, and clitoridectomies and infibulations would continue to be advocated by some through the 1930s. As late as 1936, L. E. Holt, an author of pediatric textbooks, advocated male and female circumcision as a treatment for masturbation.[40]

I agree, the male penis is as important as the woman's clitoris. Maybe it's time we started treating it in the same light?

Right...

As I said, it could be because for some bizarre reason, some do not view the male genitals as being as important as the female genitals?

Actually, it does not.

It is only after they reach their teens and the foreskin can be fully retracted that they need to start washing their penis - ie - retracting the foreskin wash the head of their penis. Before then, you don't do anything differently. Wash as normal.

It takes years to be able to fully retract the foreskin fully to explose the head. Therefore, it's something that boys will do when the foreskin is no longer fused to the head of their penis. And when they can retract it, you explain to them why it needs to be washed.

What has been proven to provide protection from STD's is safe sex practices. Even WHO advises that they should be using condoms anyway. Strange concept, I know, but circumcision may provide some protection. It will not provide any protection the their female partner.

As for infections, women get more UTI's than circumcised men. Does that mean we should be removing the hood of women's clitoris just to make sure it reduces the risk of infection? Children, boys included, are more likely to develop throat infections than they are UTI's in the West. Should we be removing their tonsils as a precautionary measure? You know, just in case?

Yep.

And anti-FGM laws in the West are aimed solely at Africans and Asians where the practice is entrenched in their culture. Shame on the West for denying people their right to painfully mutilate their children!

15. Bells Staff Member

You have proof that uncircumcised men wish they had been circumcised as babies?

Why do men need to be circumcised?

Is there a particular reason? You have studies to show why men need to be circumcised?

16. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

As I have pointed out 3 times already in this thread there is NO EVIDENCE THAT GENITAL MUTILATION PROVIDES PROTECTION FROM THE US STRAIN OF HIV. That strain (which is passed mainly in high risk groups) is highly virulent. It's only the less virulent African strain it provides any protection for and guess what. It's belived to be because of HPV, and guess what prevents HPV transmission? Gardecell, you know, that vaccine that all young girls get but is considered to be wasted on boys inspite of the risks of HIV, penile cancers, anal and oral cancers and transmission to female partners

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

18. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I don't know about circumcision vs. non-circumcision, but I can certainly tell you that people do take it amiss in Germany when you walk around with your penis out.

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I have not found that to be the case.

20. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

i don't need proof per se, i don't remember anything about my circumcision, and didn't even know it happened till later on in life when i couldn't know myself otherwise.
    just like me having flat feet, i really don't feel the disadvantage because i don't have another point of reference. one can't miss being something he never was.
    you never heard of medical circumstances requiring circumcision?

http://bit.ly/M42moe

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Circumcision/Pages/Why-is-it-necessary.aspx

http://sti.bmj.com/content/74/5/368.short

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I don't think anyone is against it for sound medical reasons.

22. iceaura Valued Senior Member

If it similarly invalidates the already dubious conclusions of the authors, sure. Does it, in that case?
    Again with this - when reason fails?

You might as well compare pulling healthy wisdom teeth with pulling all 32 healthy teeth. They are both mutilations, so they are the same thing? - if you're being silly.
    Or possibly because they are bizarrely inflamed and overwrought rhetorical garbage, from people who should know better.

If you can't make the case for banning circumcision without that kind of bs, you haven't got one.
    "Minute" being in the eye of the beholder. We look for evidence of sober judgment - a lack of overheated bluster and ridiculous exaggerations, for example. And an absence of guesswork and convenient speculation obscured in Fox News style reference language -
    Or flat deception:
    Removal of the hood of the clitoris only is not a common cultural practice, and I've never heard of it being discussed or treated with repulsion. Do you in fact know of any such culture? Even one, let alone "many"?
    Which leaves what - thirty or forty other diseases and disorders to consider?

23. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

None of which have any evidence that mutilation of the genitalia provides any benefits.

Next you will be saying it prevents crabs