Circumcision is a crime now in Germany

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Syzygys, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Balerion Banned Banned

This is the key point. It's also genital mutilation. No, it isn't as devastating as FGM, but that isn't a relevant point. Pinching an infant until it cries isn't as bad as FGM, either, but no one would deny that it is abuse.

Or would they? Given some of the idiotic arguments I've seen here, I'm not so sure anymore.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. iceaura Valued Senior Member

If someone showed that removing the top half of the aureole of a newborn girl's nipples reduced her risk of breast cancer and a couple other diseases by half, my guess is that it would be normal medical procedure.

Pulling perfectly healthy wisdom teeth already is. And there is no small amount of suffering involved in that.

In the eons before clothing, the foreskin protected. Now it's a germ nursery and infection target. There are reasons for removing it, in other words, that might be considered adequate by reasonable people.

If the only arguments we have for the German law - which seems pretty directly aimed at the new ethnics as well as the old targets of Germanic mental disorder - are that male circumcision is a horror on a par with FGM or needless radical mastectomy, spread by Jewish doctors with nefarious agenda, then the matter seems settled. That's a bad law.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Balerion Banned Banned

Nonsense.

The is a considerably greater chance that your wisdom teeth will grow in at an odd angle and cause you pain and suffering in your life than you will contract AIDS due to your foreskin.

If that's your logic, then one could easily say that we have condoms today that do an even better job at preventing STDs, and as such circumcision is no longer necessary.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

So mutilating a baby is the equivilant of an adult CHOSING to have there wisdom teeth pulled because they are causing them pain?

8. WillNever Valued Senior Member

Wisdom teeth removal is also falling out of favor, as are hysterectomies in women. Both are enormous money-makers, just like circumcision. People are waking up to the fact that they have been inundated by unnecessary surgical procedures for years.

source: I am an RN.

9. keith1 Guest

If the 40-year old man is going to end up living at home with mommy anyway, then let's not mutilate the umbilical cord, and just leave mom attached for ease of feeding...get real.
    I think "born-day" or "first hours of birth" procedures are no big deal.

Procedures that wait for the boy to be four are cruel.
    Did the OP make this distinction?

10. Bells Staff Member

Oh please.

Removing the breast tissue of girls born in families with a pre-disposition of breast cancer would greatly reduce their chances of ever developing the disease. And yet, we don't remove the breast tissue of young girls born with the pre-disposition for the illness. We let them grow up and decide for themselves if they want to undergo such surgery.

See the difference there?

Again, you are discussing something that consenting adults decide to do for themselves.

Very different to this current discussion.

My goodness! There's a stretch of fact and truth.

But your comment raises an important note.

Are people in the West circumcising their son's because they are unable to practice normal hygiene and actually bath or educate their son's on how to clean their penis? Since you know, you are declaring the uncircumcised penis as "it's a germ nursery and infection target"?

I have two sons, both uncircumcised. None of my male relatives are circumcised, even the Muslim ones. None of the males in my circle of friends are circumcised, nor are their male off-spring and so forth. And I have yet to hear of or know of a single male in my acquaintance circle who has developed an infection of any sort on their uncircumcised penal gland. Perhaps it's because they know how to wash themselves? Could that be it?

Perhaps you could try it sometime?:shrug: Just clean it with water. You don't even need soap.

The only people I know of whom I have met a few times is the friends of my ex's friend's wife. Both sons were circumcised "because Jesus was circumcised" and both ended up being rushed to hospital with fairly severe infections after the surgical removal when they were a few days old and all done without anything to dull the pain.

The only time it should be removed is if becomes cancerous (very rare) or if it is too tight and cannot retract, this is usually spotted at birth as the child may be unable to pee properly and sometimes when the child grows up and is unable to get a proper erection due to it being too tight. Usually doctors will check for such things when you take your child in for a complete check-up.. If it is healthy and the penis functions as it should function, why remove it? Just like your breast commentary before. If a baby girl's nipple is healthy, why would you remove it? Because it might become diseased in the future?

Now to me, a reasonable person will take the option of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it', in that if it is healthy and there are no problems with it, why would you put your newborn son through so much pain of removing his foreskin without any anaesthetic (it's done in the raw) and then increasing his chance of getting an infection in his penis once the clamp is in place to kill off the foreskin tissue or once the snip is made (through a ritualistic religious ceremony for example)?

Nonsense.

It is more in line with reducing the number of unnecessary surgical procedures. Much like passing laws preventing doctors from encouraging women to undergo c-sections when there is no medical necessity for it.

11. Nasor Valued Senior Member

The German court considered arguments related to hygiene etc., but after considering the opinions of German medical authorities, concluded that there was no valid health-related reason to perform the procedure on an otherwise-normal infant in Germany. If you are living in an unsanitary shit-hole of a country where basic bathing is difficult, then the hygiene argument might be reasonable. Fortunately, Germany has no shortage of clean water or soap. If you want to disagree with that conclusion, I guess you should take it up with the German medical establishment.
    The court's stated reason for the decision was that circumcision is bodily harm that permanently and irreparably alters the child's body without their consent.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

So we don't have soap and running water now? Please, that's a weak argument. It's also absurd to characterize this as targeting any particular group.

13. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

What about freedom of choice? What about the political power of the family unit? Why do free people feel like they need to have governments make all their decision for them?

I'm saddened. Regardless of whether this is a good idea or not, it is a bad idea for governments to make deeply personal decisions for families. The government has no business raising my child. When did society lose it's mind?

I am glad the hospital game ME the choice when my son was born. I hope every family in the U.S. forever retains that right. And if they don't, and they wish to have their son circumcised, they will more and more, turn to at home births and mid-wives. What a silly law. This is government over reach at it's most abusive.

Well, except in the future they will tell us we can't have natural babies at all. All women must get sterilized and hand over their eggs to the state, all men must contribute their seed to the state, and that state will produce the children in the laboratory test tube factories. Natural families will be a thing of the past. The state will organize and control society. One step at a time, in increments, they start to control everything. And you all start to think these laws are good ideas. Insanity.

14. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Glad to hear this. Cutting off part of a child's body when it's not medically needed is assault, pure and simple.

15. Nasor Valued Senior Member

In this case the courts decided that the parents' freedom of choice is trumped by the child's right to not have his body permanently surgically altered without his consent.
    On the contrary, the government is saying that the child - and no one else - has the right to decide if and when he undergoes unnecessary surgery for religious or cosmetic reasons.
    When people started unnecessarily cutting parts off their children because their invisible friend in the sky told them to?

Yes, that was a troll, but I couldn't resist...

Indeed, that is the inevitable consequence of outlawing unnecessary circumcision...

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The government doesn't let you beat your child either, is that wrong? We as a society are the government (ideally), and we decided not limit the behavior of others for the good of all.

17. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

I would like all member of Sci-forums who were circumcised who feel they were mutilated to come forward now. Otherwise, I think all those who are calling circumcision "mutilation" and that it is somehow bad need to zip it.

I want some links, some SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE, showing how circumcision is bad. Otherwise all these opponents to the procedure don't have a leg to stand on. I mean, really?

No one can predict the future. You can not say what is in store for any child. Just because a child is born in a certain location does not mean it will always have access to hygienic conditions or practice good hygiene. Should we not vaccinate a child if they live in areas where a certain disease has been unknown for a century?

I have an idea. . . . HOW ABOUT WE LET THE PARENTS DECIDE ABOUT CIRCUMCISION?

I love and respect my parents more than my government, how about you? I do happen to know that every government on earth would prefer that we love and respect our government more than our family. Why do you think they rip us away from our family at the age of five and make us spend more time with the state our whole waking lives than with our families?

18. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

Do you have your ears pierced?

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I was mutilated without my consent. I don't need scientific evidence to prove that I desire to maintain my own bodily integrity. How about we explain to parents that their power over their children is not limitless.

20. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

Sooooo. . . . Next the government is going to make abortion illegal?

21. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

So you would have preferred that your parents were over ruled by the government then?

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Yes, and not only that. My mom got on a paranoid kick about moles once, and during a procedure to remove a perfectly benign small mole on my shoulder (the third one to draw her concern), I passed out, fell off the table, and hit the floor with my chin first, leaving me permanently scarred.

23. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

uh, young girls don't have breasts..?

other than that, the responses to this thread bewilder me, i didn't know so many people have such strong and negative opinion in circumcision. maybe it's just the uncircumcised's inferiority complex

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!