Chronicles of Riddick - Dune Parallels

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Slaughterist, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Slaughterist Mayhem Activist Registered Senior Member

Others have noted that these two films are similar. I'll list my observations.
    SPOILERS

Super atrong Necromonger army lands with a fleet of Monolithic Statues.
    Emperor lands elite sardukar along with pyramids and fleet of strange ships.

Necromonger lensers wear a dark suit with green glowing face mask.
    Sardukar wear a dark suit with green glowing face mask.

Necromongers have scars from their conversion to necromongerism.
    Harkonnen have heart plugs installed when they become Harkonnen.

Prophecy tells that Riddick will defeat the Necromongers.
    Paul Atreides fulfills the prophecy and leads the Fremen to victory against the Harkonnen and emperor.

Riddick and Paul Atreides both have super powerful fighting abilities.

In the final battle Riddick fights the enemy leader in the courtroom with everyone watching. He kills him with a knife and assumes the throne.
    In the final battle Paul fights the enemy leader in the courtroom with everyone watching. He kills him with a knfie and assumes the throne.

Riddick runs across the desert and hides in a rocky cliff to escape the huge storm.
    Paul runs across the desert and hides in a rocky cliff to escape the huge worm.

Riddick tames the alien dogs.
    Paul tames the sandworm.

Riddick has wierd silver eyes.
    Paul has wierd blue eyes.

Imam is Islamic.
    Much Arab/Islamic influence is in Dune.

The Necromonger leader keeps the wierd elemental woman around to calculate and spy. One character calls her a witch.
    The Harkonnens and Emperor have wierd Mentats to calculate and wierd Bene Gesserit to spy and analyze. Bene Gesserit are referred to as witches.

Both films start with female narration.
    Both films end with female narration and a shot of the city after the hero takes the throne.

There are probably some I forgot.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Sounds like Dune would be the better one to watch for it was first.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. StarOfEight A Man of Taste and Decency Registered Senior Member

These are pretty general to heroes ... for example, there's prophecies about King Arthur, Neo has super-powerful fighting abilities, and David seizes the throne from Saul. Rest of 'em were pretty frightening, though ... I tend to assume that Hollywood, by and large, is a pack of lazy shit-for-brains capable of roughly one original thought every generation, which is then ruthlessly cannabilized, but it's always a little depressing to see it so resolutely confirmed.

(Side rant, semi-related: Okay, 2 Fast 2 Furious ... why did they use computer generated cars? I can understand itfor historical epics (Gladiator), sci-fi (The Matrix), or fantasy (LOTR), but who the fuck thought it was a good idea to computer generate a buncha rice burners? Not to mention, if you're goin' to computer generate shit, I expect someting that looks better than those Skittles ads.)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Roman Banned Banned

Dune the book came first, and was heaps better than the 80's movies with sting in it. Read the book, if you do anything at all.