Christians, do you believe most people are going to hell?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Seattle, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Christians, do you believe most people are going to hell? If so why? If not, why not?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Alter2Ego Registered Member

Seattle:

I am a Christian. Before I answer your questions, let me get an understanding of the type of place you have been told hell to be. I need to know this, since what you have been told about hell could very well not line up with what I believe hell to be.

Alter2Ego

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I don't have any specific understanding of hell. I'm more interested in the many ways that the Bible suggests one could one to go there. It seems that there as so many different way that many everyone would end up going there is the Bible is correct.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Alter2Ego Registered Member

Seattle:

Are you referring to the belief in literal hellfire torment? That is what I am trying to find out when I ask you about "your understanding" of what hell is supposed to be.

Alter2Ego

8. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I'm not aware of hell that isn't literal. When hell isn't literal it's not hell nor is it a threat. When there is no threat there is no need for hell.

9. Alter2Ego Registered Member

Seattle:

I thought you said earlier that you had no specific ideas about hell.

Now you are finally admitting that you consider hell to be with reference to literal torment. So to answer the question in you OP:

My answer: Nobody, including the wicked, will end up in literal hellfire torment--based upon the Scriptures.

Alter2Ego

10. Seattle Valued Senior Member

If no one ends up there of what purpose is the threat of hell?

I'm sure you are right however. No one is going to end up in Heaven or Hell.

11. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Seattle, I think this thread of your is close to trolling. I don't believe you have any interest in theology or the various interpretations that have been put on the concept of hell. I think you are just looking for something to confirm your pre-existing, shallow ideas and to make fun of Christians with. It was the same with the silly thread you started about Deuteronomy.

If I thought you were genuine, I would be quite interested in discussing hell. But I don't.

12. Photizo Ambassador/Envoy Valued Senior Member

Yes.

They are going to hell because they will not obey God's command to repent and believe the Gospel.

13. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I am interested. I'm not a believer but I'm interested in the thinking. It seems to me from reading the Bible that there are so many commandments that if broken will make one wind up in hell that if seems to me that everyone would wind up in hell.

I'm interested in learning where I'm wrong, if I am.

14. Photizo Ambassador/Envoy Valued Senior Member

You are correct. This is why Christ came i.e. to keep the Commandments. He also died on the cross, guilty of all the transgressions of those same commandments. For all who look to Him as Lord and Savior He becomes their substitute between them and God. They are forgiven and granted Eternal Life. Barring that, a human can only stand before God and present Him with the life they have lived on their own apart from Christ e.g. thoughts, words, deeds (deeds done and deeds left undone)--a frightening prospect indeed.

15. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Well what do you thank hell is accordin to the Scriptures... a separation from God.???

16. Alter2Ego Registered Member

Cluelusshusbund:

According to Scripture, hell is nothing more than mankind's common grave. The word hell is equivalent to the Hebrew word Sheol and the Greek word Hades and the English words the grave.

DEFINITION OF "HELL":" The abode of the dead, identified with the Hebrew Sheol and the Greek Hades; the underworld."
    http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/hell

In fact, various Bible translations use the words hell and Sheol and Hades and grave interchangeably, indicating all four of the words have the same meaning: a place of unconsciousness and inactivity. Below are examples of this. Notice the word that I placed in all caps and bold within each Biblical quotation.

"For you will not abandon my soul to HADES or allow your Holy One to experience decay." (Acts 2:27 -- International Standard Version)

"Because thou wilt not leave my soul in HELL, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption." (Acts 2:27 -- King James Version)

"because you do not abandon my soul to THE GRAVE or allow your holy one to decay." (Acts 2:27 -- GOD'S WORD® Translation)

"Because you did not leave my Soul in SHEOL and you did not give your Pure One to see destruction." (Acts 2:27 -- Aramaic Bible in Plain English)

Alter2Ego

17. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Ok... so do you thank most people are goin to heaven or just die an stay dead.???

18. Photizo Ambassador/Envoy Valued Senior Member

According to the Scriptures, mankind is already separated from God/Life (spiritual death). Upon physical death, one is confirmed in that state of separation/spiritual death for eternity.

19. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

So is ther a heaven an/or hell after physical death.???

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  20. Amazing Moves Registered Member

Photizo- what denomination are you?

Alter2Ego- what denomination are you?

21. Alter2Ego Registered Member

Photizo:

Where, in Scripture, does it say all of mankind is presently in "spiritual death"? Please quote a couple of verses where such is indicated. Be sure and provide Bible book, chapter, and verse.

Alter2Ego

22. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I'm guessing he is referring to mankinds predicament after Adam ate the fruit from the Tree of Knowledge and if one doesn't accept Christ. In that case they will go to the Lake of Fire for eternity.

23. Alter2Ego Registered Member

Cluelusshusbund:
    During Bible discussions, I never tell people what I think. I direct them to Scripture so that the Bible can answer their questions. I usually preface my responses with: "According to Scripture," after which I quote scripture that confirms what I stated.

In answer to your above question, according to Scripture, the majority of resurrected mankind will live right here on earth. At that time, earth will be returned to paradisaic, peaceful conditions--as Jehovah originally intended. Notice the words that are bolded in Psalms 37:11.

"But the meek ones themselves will possess the earth, and they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace." (Psalms 37:11 -- New World Translation)

The only people that will remain permanently dead are those that are considered wicked, from God's viewpoint. Again, notice the bolded words within the quotation below.

"But the wicked shall perish. The enemies of Yahweh [Jehovah] shall be like the beauty of the fields. They will vanish-- vanish like smoke." (Psalms 37:20 -- World English Bible)

Alter2Ego