China's petaflop computer

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Billy T, Oct 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Today's People's Daily claims only the US has one. (true or false?) No data given at CPD site.

It sure looks physically big to me. Do you think it is uses tubes?

I know next to nothing about all this, but am courious how far China is behind the US in this field and why did they build it? Any comments?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2009
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

Well if you noticed the units are just big enough for a Chinese person to fit they do billions of calculations per second as well as offer a domicile to people with out one.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DNA100 Registered Senior Member

But who told you that it's petaflop?Any sources?..

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

http://www.hpcwire.com/blogs/China-Joins-Petaflop-Club-67358662.html

8. DNA100 Registered Senior Member

WOW,that's amazing.I wonder what they are going to use it for.
    Thanks for the link.

9. draqon Banned Banned

military. calculations of missiles projectiles.

10. DNA100 Registered Senior Member

But do the calculations of missile projectiles require petaflops?I thought teraflops were more than enough.

11. draqon Banned Banned

its my speculation. After all tracking missiles and their probable projectiles as well as the new separating shells (where missiles separates into different fragments of projectiles and use diversion to reach a target) does require lots of calculations.

I don't know.

12. John99 Banned Banned

it probably the firewall.

13. DNA100 Registered Senior Member

I see.
    Anyway,I hope there is no war.
    Peace.

14. phlogistician Banned Banned

Bravo! John, that's the funniest thing you've come up with ever!

15. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

As stated in the OP, my original source was the Chinese People's Daily (which I read ever day). If you filter out the propaganda, it is a remarkably good source of global news, often breaking financial stories before Bloomberg, and unsurpassed for Chinese news. Here is more detail, just out from US source:

"The machine's data has been submitted for ranking in the Top500 list, which is next due out in November, Xinhua said, citing faculty at the university in China's inland Hunan province. The computer will be used for bio-medical computing, seismic data processing during oil exploration and for the design of "aerospace vehicles," it said.

The computer has over 11,000 microprocessors from Intel and Advanced Micro Devices and cost at least 600 million yuan (US$88 million) to build, the agency said. It will be moved to a supercomputing center in the northeastern city of Tianjin later this year, Xinhua said.

Dawning, a Chinese government-backed hardware maker, is separately designing a petaflop supercomputer it hopes to deploy next year. That system is planned to use Godson CPUs, also known by the name Loongson, a domestic chip line designed with government funding to expand China's pool of domestically owned technology. China-made CPUs will also be added to the Milky Way supercomputer in the future to further boost its speed, Xinhua said."

From: http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti..._fastest?source=CTWNLE_nlt_dailyam_2009-10-30

16. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I would think that too.

I suspect that it is true that it will be used for "bio-dynamic studies." Such as detailed modeling of how mRNA passes thru the "factory" (I forget its name, just now) to assemble proteins and then follow how the initially linear protein folds up into a 3D structure, etc.

17. John99 Banned Banned

why do they need all those gpu's? any details on similar ones?

18. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

A little more data from today's Chinese People's Daily:

"... the 155-ton system, with 103 refrigerator-like cabinets lined up on an area of about 1,000 square meters, is expected to process seismic data for oil exploration, conduct bio-medical computing and help design aerospace vehicles. {Making a "wind tunnel" in computer's digital bits is much cheaper and every point is as if a 100% accurate sensor were there, without the disturbance a real sensor would make.}

China's national high-technology research and development program and the Binhai New Area, a major economic development zone in the northern port city of Tianjin jointly financed Tianhe,{Chinese computer's name = "milky way"} which cost at least 600 million yuan (88.24 million U.S. dollars).

Tianhe's peak performance reaches 1.206 petaflops, and it runs at 563.1 teraflops (1,000 teraflops equals one petaflop) on the Linpack benchmark, which was originally developed by U.S. computer scientist Jack Dongarra and has become an internationally recognized method to measure a supercomputer's real performance in practical use. ..."

From: http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/90001/90782/6798581.html

I might note that that the processing of seismic signals is some what like the processing of sonar signals trying to pull and identify a particular submarine's (or surface ship) signature out of the noisy sea.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2009
  19. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

At the other extreme in size, China has improved the computers it bought from IBM a few years ago:

"How ThinkPad Stacks Up Against Dell and HP

Lenovo has taken the ThinkPad X300 to the next level. The T400 is thin, light, durable, supports VoIP and much more. This white paper provides a side-by-side comparison of the T400 vs. Dell and HP. From form factor to memory, the specs tell the whole story."

http://cwflyris.computerworld.com/t/5855224/490950610/234399/0/

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2009
  20. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

That stuff doesn't require supercomputer performance.

The military applications are in simulation of warhead dynamics, and always have been. Doubly so now that actual critical testing is prohibited by treaty.

21. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

One petaflop computer? Definitely false. The previous Top500 list (from June) lists 3 petaflop computers, 2 in the US and 1 in Germany. Perhaps they were referring to the specific architecture/processor technology?

The United States dominates the field of big supercomputers. They're designed and manufactured almost exclusively by American companies (Intel, AMD, Cray, IBM, HP, Sun). 8 of the 10 fastest machines in the June 2009 top500 are in the US (the other 2 are in Germany). IBM has already announced a 20 petaflop supercomputer for deployment at Livermore National Lab in 2011.

China is pretty much a non-entity in the world of supercomputers. None of the technology originates there, nor is any of the critical manufacturing carried out there. Until this latest effort, they did not possess a single supercomputer worth mentioning. And, unless they continue to invest very heavily, they will soon return to that status.

You may recall Japan making waves back in 2002 when they put together the fastest computer in the world, the Earth Simulator. It is still the fastest computer in Japan, but no longer even in the top 20 worldwide. In the 7 years since Earth Simulator went online, the US has installed 14 systems that outperform it: that's 2 every year.

22. kmguru Staff Member

Related items:

"As far as I know, a combination of CPU and GPU is something new used to make a petaflop computer. A GPU, or graphic processing unit, plays a role as an accelerator to make the computer run faster, but reduces its power consumption and cost," Zhou explained.
    ----------

Actually it could be a cheat when you use the LAPACK benchmark to boost the numbers using the GPUs.

As per Wikipedia:

Roadrunner is a supercomputer built by IBM at the Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico, USA. Currently the world's fastest computer, the US$133-million Roadrunner is designed for a peak performance of 1.7 petaflops, achieving 1.026 on May 25, 2008,and to be the world's first TOP500 Linpack sustained 1.0 petaflops system. It is a one-of-a-kind supercomputer, built from off the shelf parts, with many novel design features.

IBM built the computer for the U.S. Department of Energy's (DOE) National Nuclear Security Administration. It is a hybrid design with 12,960 IBM PowerXCell 8i and 6,480 AMD Opteron dual-core processors[9] in specially designed blade servers connected by Infiniband. The Roadrunner uses Red Hat Enterprise Linux along with Fedora as its operating systems and is managed with xCAT distributed computing software. It also uses the Open MPI Message Passing Interface implementation.

IBM PowerXCell runs at 100 GFLOPS per processor
    AMD's FireStream 9250 runs at 1 Teraflop
    Intel demoed a 80-core 2 Teraflop processor

The Appro HyperPower puts 19 of the twin Nehalem EP servers interleaved in a standard 42U rack with 19 of the Tesla appliances, which yields 304 x64 cores and 18,240 GPU cores. The peak performance of such a rack weighs in at just over 78 teraflops on single-precision codes and 6.56 teraflops at double-precision math.

23. Yes and the key word in that link is joins. The Chinese weren't the first to make a petaflop farm and therefore we the U.S. probably do have a petaflop farm in fact I think we have many. I even think that we the U.S. were the first country to reach a petflop probably with the help of IBM's technoloogy. sigh.............. Wake me when the day comes when a yetaflop can be done on a normal desktop.

btw for those of you who don't know what a yetafolp iss here's a link with a chart on it except this chart refers to it as far as size but they're the same principle term. http://www.greenpete.co.uk/?m=200703 look at the data storage and size post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.