China's Amazing Bridges (photos and some text)

Discussion in 'Architecture & Engineering' started by Billy T, Jul 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

How long is the French bridge? Here it the text related to bridge 15 of the op link:

"Slide 15 Hangzhou Bay Bridge China’s Hangzhou Bay Trans-oceanic Bridge is one of the masterpieces of modern architecture. It is the longest sea-crossing bridge in the world - 36 kilometres - and comes with a price tag of 11.8 billion yuan (US$1.70 billion). Opened in May 2008, some 600 Chinese engineers, draftsmen, architects and designers spent 9 years on planning, preparation and design of the bridge. It is an S-shaped stayed-cable bridge linking Ningbo's Cixi county in the south to Jiaxing in the north. The Bridge has a 6-lane motorway which shaves 120 kms off the driving journey between Shanghai and Ningbo. There are also 2 extra lanes reserved for backup and emergency use."
    No problem. In fact here is one about a year old that I have driven across:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Often it is especially beautiful at night as all the cables have lights on them and they change colors but not rapidly - I.e. each time you see it, they are different.

On the far side of the river, for reasons I don't know, continuing straight on land was not possible / allowed. That is why the bridge has two sections curving in two different directions (one for each direction of travel). That in turn forced this unique design.

I think that the French bridge is the world's tallest (except for some small ones which span narrow but very deep gorges); However, I have read that the longest (and second longest) are in China. They may be considered "elevated roads" not bridges by some supporting the French claim as they don't rise up, except in a few locations for ocean ships to pass under. I forget their length but they connect main land to distant off shore islands or cross great bays on the coast. Many kilometers (36) long structures over relative shallow water on frequent piers.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2010
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pinwheel Banned Banned

They are still falling so it will be a wait before they can start counting.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

They should just have a jump monitor then..

They could count them as they jump...I doubt you would get an accurate count, once they hit the ground...The splat factor and all..

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.