China´s world´s highest speed computer

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Billy T, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Old thread at: http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?97143-China-s-petaflop-computer is closed (why I don´t know or like*)
    This is "Tiahne-2" with 54.9_petaflops

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Three times more petaflops (/sec) than No 2 at Oak Ridge, a Cray system running at nearly 18 petaflops, according to last November's biannual Top 500 list. That list will be updated in mid-June.

With its new supercomputer, China is raising the stakes in supercomputing for the U.S., as well as for Japan and Europe. It is showing a willingness to push for leadership in HPC and the race to develop the next generation of systems, exascale.
    *IMHO it was silly to close the old thread. Instead of the above being added to prior history, people must go to old closed thread to see the prior achievements in this speed / progress (race?). Why was it closed? If there is no valid reason, and you are a mod that can, re-open and move this post to be the latest of the thread.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Peter Beckman, director of the Exascale Technology at Computing Institute at Argonne National Laboratory and head of the DOE's exascale initiative:
    ---------------------------
    * I copy quadraphonic's comments on how important the interconnects are from last post in the closed thread, post 47:
    " the really core piece of a modern supercomputer is the interconnect, not the CPUs. "

Quad knows much more about this than I do and seems to me to be saying same thing as the Head of the US's exascale program. (See red text in quote above.)
    Again: it is really stupid to close old thread with valuable history and comments for no good reason but age.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kmguru Staff Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Stryder closed it. I don't know why.

8. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

At the Argonne National Lab on Monday, a dedication ceremony was held for the Mira supercomputer, where it was duly noted that it is the world's fifth-fastest system. You cannot mention the world's fifth-fastest system without noting the world's number one system, which is in China.

That was the case when U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill), who attended the ceremony, cut the ribbon to dedicate Mira, an IBM Blue Gene/Q system capable of 10 petaflops, or 10 quadrillion calculations per second. The world's fastest system, the Tianhe-2 in China, according to the Top 500 list, has been benchmarked at nearly 34 petaflops.

China, Europe and Japan, and perhaps Russia, are all working with the goal of developing exascale systems, or machines of 1,000 petaflops.

NO POST IN X MONTHS IS NOT A GOOD REAONS TO CLOSE A THREAD !

9. HealthBlushon Registered Member

china rockssss

10. HealthBlushon Registered Member

11. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

China (as of 18Nov13) still has fastest / most powerful:

12. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

No surprizes. China is still on top in performance by factor of two, but not in total number of "supper computers" (top 500 machines of the world)

It is important to note, that this testing was started by Wired Magazine years ago, and now has its own life (organization) entire run by US and German experts. I note this to make it difficult for Joepistole to call it "Chinese propaganda" just because I am quoting from ChinaDaily. I read that most days, and almost never read about computer developments in US sources - I'm sure one can find these same results there with earlier publication date. ChinaDaily does plagarize a lot.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015