Chilean Miners Rescue Operation Begins

Discussion in 'World Events' started by madanthonywayne, Oct 13, 2010.

1. milkweed Valued Senior Member

Is there really a difference?

Those people handling sandbags by hand are doing it to the best of their ability. We watch disaster after disaster, where people who have more, give more. Example, tornado clean-ups. Those bobcats, front end loaders, tractors, etc are tools people around the area have. And most of the time, it is donated time. The people want to give and often feel greatly rewarded by the pizza delivered to the clean up crews from the next town over.

But you have a point, there is a cost to the people who give. Looking into the various companies who donated for this effort, it is expansive. So next time I order something online, I am going to make sure I ship it UPS.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...nies-helping-in-chile-mine-rescue-effort.html

Center Rock now has its own wiki entry:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_Rock

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Yeap, some HUGE ones:

1. Everyone can handle sandbags, very few people can drill holes.
    2. Sandbagging is usually prevention, drilling holes is saving lifes when they are already in danger.
    3. You don't bag sand for weeks day and night, half asleep.

Any other observations???

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. milkweed Valued Senior Member

Based on tone, sure heres one:

Get a signed contract if you expect to get paid.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Not as it applies to expecting payment. A hard-working, dedicated volunteer is still a volunteer.

8. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

You are not getting it. They don't mind not getting paid, I do.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Seeing quadro's comment, why is it so hard to see differences between volunteers and volunteers??

Anyhow, nevermind...

9. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

True.
    If they have lost wages and that causes them hardship, it might be a good thing to recompense them. The President isn't short of a few bob.
    Fair point.
    But, if they were Engineers, they will be well recompensed anyway.
    Imagine having that success on your resume.
    You could choose your job.

10. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

G'day Kremmen, please check out crap joke in Jokes and Funny stories re Mine Disaster. Thankyou.

11. optimism Registered Member

I found some great, iconic images of the rescue on The Urban Times (theurbn dot com).

I love the one with the president and one of the trapped minors just about to embrace each other - very touching.

12. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

I'm the numpty. :bugeye: I don't have T.V. I don't pay attention to the main stream press. This story, for the most part, flew under the radar. It's after affects are like shit hitting the fan, so I had to do some research, find out what's what. When in doubt, follow the money. Likewise, with multiple wars going on, it's great to have multiple distractions in the press and media for American consumers. Perhaps the cave in and the miners being trapped was genuine. . . but the length of time to get them out? and the made for T.V manner in which they were released? :shrug:

There are too many "coincidences" related to this story. . . . something smells. My grandfather always said. . . if you want to know the truth. . . follow the money. I don't think the way the press, the corporations and the governments have portrayed the way that this has happened are exactly the way that it went down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT_ZjqC4BuM&feature=player_embedded
    http://www.forward.com/articles/132100/

Piece it together folks. . . there were 33 miners. . .
    Amazing post here. . .
    http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140011

13. keith1 Guest

It's a safe bet all evidence of mining administration procedures that use cost-cutting measures that cause cave-ins can be "buried". And there's the scenario that unexpected tremors, geologic weakness at stress points, inherent dangers of the occupation, etc. can be a viable explanation. In this instance, the mine, at that particular depth, seems to have been closed permanently.

This kind of rescue scenario could possibly be used as additional permanent fixtures of mine escapement routes in safe areas. It is a wonder that these procedures are not mandatory in all mining construction. Even if the miners cannot reach these safe areas during incidents of collapse, they would give a base of operation for prepared and practiced procedure for surface crews to work from, at that level in a mine.