Child seemingly born mentally ill..

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by visceral_instinct, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Bells Staff Member

In case no one noticed, this thread is about January Schofield and childhood schizophrenia and schizophrenia in general.

Dude, I don't even know where to begin..

Now, back to topic.. yes?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Yess meestress, igor obeys the mistress....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Schizophrenia in general...

It disturbs me that what essentially happened under Reagan et al in the United States was a closing down of the state mental hospitals...but without the promised community treatment put in place.

So it was just "Fly free, little looney, fly free!"

I was told in the 80's in Houston, they literally brought people from the state hospital on the Greyhound bus and just...dumped them out at the station. No home, no follow-up. Nada. So you could see homeless people wandering around, obviously psychotic as they were yelling at people who weren't there....

Am I correct in understanding Australia did something similar, Bells?

At the same time...I'm very uneasy about forced treatment without a history of violence to self or others...or imminent threat of same.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

The consultant. His behaviour was just sick.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Agree with you.

I'd also like to get back to talking about the subject in the OP everyone...

8. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

What makes me feel very sorry for her is she has never known NOT being affected by schizophrenia.

At least someone who gets it at 20 knows what sanity feels like and has an idea of what they want to get back to.

She's never known that.

Scary, and sad.

Could be why her mind fixates on numbers. Numbers are concrete. 2 + 2 is always 4 no matter what.

9. Bells Staff Member

Australia's psychiatric care is pretty bad. There are few psychiatric hospitals left open and those that are are collapsing under the weight of a growing list of patients. And doctors are forced to try and treat quickly, sometimes with disastrous results.

She hallucinates the numbers it seems, and the mice. Some other children in one of the links I gave earlier on fixate on monsters and beasts as that is all she sees.

And to her, the mice and the numbers are all concrete, just as the monsters and beasts are concrete to the other child. They exist, they are individual and have distinct personalities and the parents end up having to acknowledge them standing there in the corner, for example, even though they only exist in the child's mind. Her parents say that they sometimes have to compete with her hallucinations, because they are always there and present.

10. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

Yes, I'd be fine. From what I've heard so far, no great loss to mankind. Personally, I'd like to cut the world population by about 80% right now. This wouldn't be a bad start.

I'm not looking for it.

The idiot was trying to compare himself with people with cancer and this girl in the op. He was trying to make it about suicide, depression and him.
    It pissed me off. If it didn't piss you off, then you're part of the problem.

Seriously. Even wikipedia has a quick-fire rundown on suicide statistics, there is plenty more out there if you don't want to settle for that.
    Fact is, there is a glaring disparity between depression and suicide between the wealthier nations and those not so wealthy.
    The ones with everything to live for are the ones getting depressed... apparently.

They live in a society which caters for their every need and tells them they're all so pwecious. The unfortunate result is a population of nancy boys who can't cope when reality comes along and decides it's feeling a might peckish.

We're raising generations where they all have ADD, they have depression, they have anxiety, they have borderline Asperger's, they have something excusing them from a little bit of honest self assessment. The pharmaceutical companies, the psychologists, and the doctors all buy into it and make a few easy dollars in the process.

It doesn't strike you as mildly peculiar that immigrants from the third world are far less likely to off themselves? It hasn't occurred to you that that is probably because they know just a tad more about life than our current generation of milksops?

I've seen enough of the world to know what true desperation actually is, and how people are able to cope when there isn't any help available.
    To come home and witness this makes me nauseous.

When kids like this grow some balls and face reality, we might be able to sort the wheat from the chaff. The actual cases of depression at that point might be worth looking into. In the meantime, I'm not going to cater to it.

You want to go back to the girl, fine. I've done my reading.
    I'd like to say I'm a little surprised it was me you directed your ire at for derailing a thread, but... well. I'm not. It's just part of the problem.

11. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Disagree, sorry.

To be sure, there is something wrong over here, but I disagree that it's simple weakness.

The disorders you mentioned are real. They also usually hit far before people are of an age where they're mentally complex enough to BE that self-centered. We're talking early childhood. Tell me how an Asperger kid who is only just old enough to talk screaming because the lights and noise is disrupting his nervous system is being self indulgent.

This is where you come in saying well, that's one of the real cases, most are not.

No.

Part of the criteria is that it is *inborn*. If you develop it aged 11, it's not ASD. Same with ADHD.

I'm one of those borderlines you were talking about, Marquis. And please don't try and tell me it's a fad. It's the reason I don't drive because my nervous system gets disrupted to the point that I do fun things like go unresponsive and freewheel blindly into other people's path.

12. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Also, enough of the derails yeah?

13. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

Part of the criteria?
    So what are you trying to tell me now, 22% of men in America are born with it? Sounds like you have some serious bad genes being passed around there.
    Better start breeding with the blacks, pronto. Those guys don't get it half as much as the whites do, you might be able to breed it out or something. You'd probably want to start soon, though, because by the year 2525 one would imagine there wouldn't be a white man left able to walk down a street without crying his eyes out and attempting suicide.
    Then you'd have all the blacks, Asians and Hispanics in America developing anxiety problems because they can't drive down the street for fear of all the white guys jumping in front of their cars.
    Vicious cycle. Pharmaceutical companies would love it.
    "Feeling tired? Can't sleep? Suicidal white guys jumping in front of your car giving you nightmares?
    Try Methodoxitothiroxitol - you'll be a high-fivin' nigga again in no time!"

Don't bother with the "I know someone who..." or "It's real because I..." arguments, either. They don't prove a damn thing.
    Besides, you lot can't seem to decide whether you're talking about depression, schizophrenia, or one of a myriad other things you all claim to have. Seems each new one jumping in wants to make it about his own little pet mental health issue. I can't keep up.

OT:

There doesn't seem to be an awful lot to read, other than a few articles that all appear to borrow from each other, and a YouTube video. Perhaps I haven't looked hard enough.

So at the end of the day, there really isn't much to discuss other than the usual expressions of sympathy and concern, and frankly if young January had to wade through a thread full of nothing but that herself, she probably wouldn't need 400-the-cat to tell her she wanted to hurt people.

14. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

*heaves a sigh* Did you actually read my post?

I didn't say depression was inborn. I was talking about 2 of the disorders you handwaved as 'excuses'.

Also, what is this thing called 'true desperation'? What are the criteria exactly?

Where did we arrive at the idea that only physical problems are real?

15. Guest264 Registered Member

She gives things names that come from an ordered sequence.
    Her name, January, is part of a sequence - its beginning, actually. Perhaps she assumes the need to produce the rest of the sequence in her friends.

I'd say, what an unfortunate name for a schizophrenic.
    I wonder if she would still have been obsessed with sequences in particular if she didn't have a sequential name.

16. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Sequences aren't the worst thing to be obsessed with. Imagine if her imaginary friends manifested as AIDS the Cat, or Harlequin Ichthyosis.

17. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

Did you read mine? Half the things you're accusing me of saying, I have not. You can go around heaving all the huge sighs you like, it doesn't make you credible.

... unless you have decent breasts, of course. In that case, you can say anything you like while heaving sighs and 80% of men will pay due attention. The other 20% are gay. Which wouldn't make much difference. They'd pay attention too.

"Her virtue was she spoke her mind; her vice, that there was nothing on it."
    - paraphrased quote from some guy.

18. Guest264 Registered Member

I wonder if she has a concept of some things not being part of a series.
    It must be doubly confusing to be a schizophrenic and have a name that confirms that you are indeed a part of a series.

Maybe they can take hints from Marla Olmstead's dad and give her a paintbrush. To help raise money for her care.

19. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I don't remember accusing you of saying anything, Marquis.

And breasts? So basically, you don't have anything to offer but sarcasm and childish sexual humor.

I quit taking you seriously. This was a discussion of mental health and you've actually brought breasts into it.

One for my ignore list, I think.

20. Guest264 Registered Member

Oh and both parents take anti-depressants. It can't be ruled out that those pills didn't affect the fetus. I mean, even if the mother went off them during her pregnancy. We don't have a complete map of all the side effects these chemicals have.

Not that I am trying to blame the parents. I don't think I would be able to cope as well as they are if I had to go through the same.

21. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

Well, you were the one going around heaving huge sighs, you know. I was merely following a natural inclination.

As for taking me seriously... I'd avoid that, if I were you. You seem a lovely, well balanced young girl, and I'd truly hate to disturb that with anything that might upset you were you to actually put any thought into it.

When reality does come along to say a big hello, just pop a pill or two. You'll be fine, and singing to the birds again in no time.

22. Bells Staff Member

One of the articles I read stated that mental illness existed in the family, on both sides and the way it was worded seemed to indicate it was quite extensive.

I don't see how the medication would cause this though and nothing written about this girl or her parents give any indication that her medication could be a likely cause. Other children mentioned in other articles, also diagnosed with child onset schizophrenia do not appear to have mental illness with the parents and not in the family.

23. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Please watch this video.
    There is very little wrong with this child except her insane environment.

Bright energetic and imaginative.
    Oh, she must need drugs. Gosh Damn, there's deemens in her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT041QhTPSk

Sorry I mentioned demon possession earlier.
    Her words are being picked over to give that impression.
    God bless your bright little heart, Jani.
    I hope you emerge from this abuse with sanity.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011