Child seemingly born mentally ill..

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by visceral_instinct, Aug 15, 2011.

1. birch Valued Senior Member

sad but it's good she has loving and caring parents, maybe that will help her to keep coping.

but if they never find a cure, she will have to be watched 24/7.

as a parent, when the real child and not the voices surfaces and tells you that living is suffering and wish they were dead, then what would you do?? that would be really difficult as you want them to have some life but the quality is also important.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Nope. Schizophrenics are often blissfully unperturbed about their predicament.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Since you quoted me, let me say that that was not the intent of the statement at all. It was simply that it was hard to understand why a person with so many people who clearly cared deeply for her could feel so alone and hopeless that she'd hang herself rather than reaching out to one of the literally hundreds of people now mourning her death.

As to the actual thread topic, what a sad and disturbing situation. It's so sad that we don't have any effective treatment that would allow this clearly very intelligent child to reach her full potential or to even live a normal life.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Disagree. Someone who chooses suicide because they feel it's the only thing fair to them and the people they care about is clearly not rational. I do agree culture makes a difference as to whether someone gets pushed to that point, but saying it's a rational choice is inaccurate.

Nope. I know this person's situation, and let's just say I would probably pick being dead, too.

8. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

You probably haven't been there for 5 years. I remembered wanting to die when I was 11, was pretty much severely depressed until I got meds close to my 17th birthday...

Some people are going to use "soft" methods, or methods that aren't hard enough, which tend not to work... wrist-slitting...people think that works, nah...There was an acquaintance I ran into with his wrists sewn together twice...

The second time I was all like "Again???" He was kind of embarrassed, poor guy. The number of people who have OD'ed and woke up or gotten their stomach pumped would surprise you.

:shrug: Ask me that some other day. I've talked to some people for whom no meds work and for whom depression is a living hell...the one I'm thinking of ATM was in the process of finding out electroconvulsive therapy wasn't going to lift her depression. She'd taken every med out there, they didn't work and the antipsychotics caused akathisia-which is not a fun state.

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

me too. They know what coulda woulda shoulda been for her. All that promise and her own brain won't let her have it

10. Bells Staff Member

Chimpin, VI, etc

This is not a competition. There is a vital difference that some of you aren't seeing..

Even in a depressed state, you were making that decision, you were choosing to die. Even though you were not of your right mind, it was still you. You are ultimately in charge.

In January's case, it is not her. She has no control at all. In other words, the decision to kill herself is out of her hands entirely.

People with schizophrenia are at high risk for suicide, which accounts for about one in five deaths in this population. This impulse includes children, although it is less likely that they will complete suicide because they are under constant supervision. Schofield said Jani has said she wants to die and has attempted to take her own life several times, including an attempt to jump out a window, choking herself with her hands, and saying she will crawl into the oven.

(Source)

On the father's blog, he documents how at 4 years of age, she asked him how high she would have to be to die if she fell and as he commented, he didn't think about it, even as she hung from the balcony on the 3rd floor.. It did not enter his mind that his daughter would want to kill herself, even as she is trying to do it. And she is not alone.

"One minute she would be really sweet and loving and all of sudden she'd just turn. Literally it was like the Exorcist -- she would become another person. Her eyes would change, her demeanor changed, her voice flattened out," Schofield said. "Her imaginary friends are not imaginary at all but command hallucinations. They tell her to hurt herself or someone else."

(Source)

As I said, this i not a competition. Depression, while a mental illness, is not even remotely similar to paranoid schizophrenia, especially for in children. When you consider that these children's personalities will never develop normally, that they will never develop mentally in a normal way.. There is no comparison because the difference is vast.

11. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Only to some degree...in that I can choose what to do about feeling awful.
    Not necessarily about feeling awful

I suppose there is that.

And I never had command hallucinations...just voices screaming at me in my head, also a conviction I contaminated everything I was around, and needed to die for the sake of humanity, that I was (and am) still wrong somehow.

*Sigh*

But it is different, I was and am still a certain version of me.

12. Bells Staff Member

The voices telling you that you contaminated everything and that you needed to die in effect was you.. In other words, it was the depression making you falsely believe you were a bad person.

The major difference though is that your personality has developed, you are mentally aware of your illness and of yourself. You dictate you likes and dislikes.

This child's personality has been stunted by the hundreds of voices in her head. She has visions of mice and rabbits, and she names them and numbers them. Her family and doctors state there are hundreds. Those alternate personalities and realities dictate her movements, her moods, her violence, anger, suicidal thoughts, what she eats, whether she eats.. In the midst of that, this child is brilliantly intelligent, and it could very well be because of her disease. And it is that intelligence which makes it more tragic, because her intelligence is more than likely to lead to her killing herself sooner.. In one of the many blogs, her father details how she will often dash across busy streets because she sees one of her animals in the middle of the road calling her to come over for example.. she tells her parents she wants to die because the voices in her head are telling her to die. She's only 7.

That is why I say you can't compare. People with depression have for the greater majority, developed their own personality. Singular.. This child and other children like her never will. They will instead develop multiple personalities and she will never get the chance to develop her own. This started from birth.. It is mind boggling.. And it is also tragic.

When the voices in her head tell her she has to die, there is no alternative for her. She does not have her own personality to even try to counter that or question or seek help. She will go out onto the 3rd floor balcony and try to jump off or hang herself and do so happily. She will ask her father at the age of 4 how high she needs to drop from to die and then she tries to do it.

In the article in the OP, her father recalls how she wanted to hit that boy because he shut her door.. And the time it took to calm her down and how he knew, she'd wake up in the morning and she would find him and still hit him regardless.. Because the voices in her head commanded it be so.

And this is pretty much all she will ever know. If she has to go off the only and strongest medication that can help her, then that is it. She will never not be like this.

13. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

I agree, this child has no control over anything.

Do note: Dissociative identity disorder is something different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociative_identity_disorder

At the psych forum I used to go to, though, there was someone who had a dual diagnosis of schizoaffective and D.I.D, she'd show up to rant hysterically and we'd comfort her periodically... Whaddya gonna do with someone who's both that sick and that injured?

14. Bells Staff Member

I don't think anyone actually knows..

Some of Jani Schofield's friends don't like her little brother, Bodhi.

Sometimes they tell her to hurt Bodhi. And sometimes - even when she doesn't want to - she listens.

If she doesn't, Four Hundred the cat might scratch her, or Wednesday the rat might bite her.

One day, without warning, 7-year-old Jani started to gnaw on the toddler as if to eat him. Tears streaming from her eyes, she repeated, "I'm going to eat you, Bodhi. Bye, bye, Bodhi. I love you."

Her parents then say that they have to acknowledge her hallucinations, and at times compete with them.

To help her parents and her, pschology students spend time with her, keeping her occupied at all times and also studying her. But most importantly, it allows her to remain under constant supervision and keeps her mentally stimulated at all times to keep her happy.

Have a look through the web and you see there is a mountain of anger towards this child and her parents.. Some who think she's full of it, others who think the parents are and are exploiting her, some who deem her to be sick because she has been abused, it goes on and on..

There is little help for her because of the nature of her disease.

15. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

WHY!?!?!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

WTF?
    The DID/schizoaffective woman was abused...but not this girl, this girl seems to have an innate disorder, really bad.

I hope her brother does not end up schizophrenic also...typical age of onset's about 18ish.

16. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

You don't want cancer bro . I can testify to that . I seen a lot of it over the years . Don't wish it on your self . Wishes can come true and if you go there your depressive states may get a lot worse . It can be a very slow agonizing death. Pain like no one knows unless they got to go through it. Please don't get cancer . You will regret saying that if you do .

I got something for you to think about . Except your sadness . Allow your self to be O.K. with feeling sadness . Embrace your sadness . Learn to cry . I know they tell you boys should not cry . You will feel better . I do . Me children too. I understand depression very well . When I was young no one would play with me . I would go around saying " Mom Every body hates Me , no one likes me . I am going to kill my self . I meant it too. Then June Hudulsten told Me a store of a kid my same age . No Idea if it was true , but true enough for a 7 year old kid . She said this kid would come to school and always say " I am going to kill my self and no one listened to him . Then one day he came into class and ripped open his shit to expose a big bulls eye on his chest . He pulled out a butcher knife and slammed it into his chest and died on the spot . It was a kind of never cry wolf story , but the thing is it left a major impression on Me . I did . I stopped thinking about killing my self . I had depression for many many years still , but the thought of killing my self faded with the imagery of that kid and the bulls eye on his chest . I don't know what it was ? I could relate to the other kid that was for sure big time . Oh By the By I am the king of card throwing so don't even think about a challenge . I was throwing cards in hats before you were a twinkle in your Grandma"s eye. I will cut you in half with a card . Like that guy with his hat in Gold-finger the James Bond Movie.

Anyway what can I say . Nothing . I feel your pain bro . Life is a fucking joke then you die . For the other people that is ! Not for me and you cause we are fucking card throwers. Special breed plain and clear . No one like us on the whole planet

17. Bells Staff Member

Well it's in the family. He very well could develop it as he could not.

As for why.. Who knows.. Reading through some who believe she is making it up for attention or that her parents are for similar reasons.. that they want money.. that she is being abused by her father and is only parroting that abuse towards others..

Who knows why? The only answer I can come up with is jealousy and because some people are arseholes.

18. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

stigma, what else. People have an irrational fear of mental illness, most cant handle it and so dismiss it as "attention seeking" or "grab for cash" or whatever. They want it locked away, they want to pretend they are just criminals or evil or possessed.

There is a great film dealing with stigma (in this case of AIDS) called Philadelphia.

Over the years the mentally ill have been subjected to some of the worst abuses imaginable. I was trying to find something i had been told in ethics and law about a systemic abuse in one of Australia's psychiatric hospitals around the same time as the abuses which lead to the cartwright inquiry but insted i found this:

http://psychcentral.com/news/2008/05/05/texas-mental-hospitals-a-haven-for-abuse/2224.html

Further more i was lissoning to a lecture on the "conversation hour" on ABC radio a couple of weeks ago where they were discussing abuses by hospital staff against victoms of cutting. This doctor was told (as a young resident) to stich up this girl with no anastheic (by a consolutant) because "she did it to herself, that will teach her" (he also reported otheres he lectured had reported having the same things happen to them). He also reported cases (2nd hand) of pts self harming or atempting suicide being left on trollies for hours because the staff were "dealing with real cases".

These are health care proffessionals and they had no empathy (his words) with there patients because they were mentally ill. Look at the public arena and its even worse, pollies treat mental illness as the lowest priority. When deinstitutionalization happened the responce was fear from the community and budget savings from the parliments, when what should have acompianed it was INCREASED spending to provide the services where they were now needed. Mental illness comes hand in hand with increased risks of being the victom of a violent crime, homelessness, poor intergration into sociaty, double diognoisis with drug and alchole dependence but what do we see, finger pointing and blaming.

The AFL footballer who was found to be a drug adict was treated as if it was all his choice, his fault inspite of resurch http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44147493/ns/health-addictions/ showing its no more his fault than a conjenitial heart defect. Look at your own comments here "oh depressions not that bad" "oh its just emo kids" "oh suicide is a choice because if they wanted to die they would". I wish i could find a transcript of that conversation hour to answer the last one specifically but what he said was "a suicide atempt isnt "attention seeking" if it fails, its harder than you might think to kill yourself" "What these people need is empathy, what is so bad about seeking understanding, caring". Yet its consitantly dismissed as "attention seeking"

You ask WHY someone would say things like that but the lot of you are just as bad.

19. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

Yeah, really?
    It's difficult to kill yourself?

Go find a train track. Lay down on it, and wait. When the train comes, you either move, or you don't. Doesn't sound terribly difficult to me.

Just make sure you text that "I'm gonna do it" into your mobile before you actually try it. Then all you have to do is hit "send" instead of trying to type it all in with a freighter bearing down on you. The spelling would be abominable... not that that would make much difference in your case.

20. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

*sighs*, why didnt i do that, BECAUSE ITS CRUEL TO TRAIN DRIVERS AND IT WILL HURT. I tried taking a drug OD on sleeping pills, what i didnt know is that the pills wernt strong enough and i would have been better trying with my anti depressants rather than the seditives

21. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

WTF...I hope he lost his license???

22. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Which? The young resident or the consoltant? The resident didn't, he's now in charge of an anti suicide organization, the consoltant? He didn't say but I doubt it, it aparently hapens quite regually

23. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Marquis:
    Are you aware you're giving someone who has attempted suicide before advice on how to do themselves in?

Would you feel alright with the guy in the mirror if he then took your advice and succeeded?

Do you realize that this behavior does not cast any glory on you whatsoever?

I have my own plans, they'd work...I keep looking for reasons not to carry them out.