Child Beauty Pageants

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by shorty_37, Apr 17, 2008.

?

Do you think child pageants like these sexualize children?

Poll closed Apr 27, 2008.
  1. Yes I do

88.0%
  2. No I don't

12.0%
  1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

First of all, they are not so little anymore. And second, if that is true (are pedophiles publishing their top ten these days) congratulations on providing the pictures.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Whats wrong with using disturbing pictures to provide a shocking example and prove your point? Or is that only okay when we are talking about Iraq?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Lets just say that probably almost all the pictures of these girls you'll find online are put there by people who are vicariously exploiting them to make a point.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

It doesn't matter if they are 18 right now does it? The first little famous girl in the OP unfortunately didn't live to see her 7th Birthday. She was brutally sexually assaulted and murdered.

I am not providing anything new.....As you said these girls are old now.
    Pedophiles already have their clips and pictures from yrs ago. They don't
    need me. I posted them to prove a point. Isn't it you who always deletes my posts because I don't produce any evidence?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I'm not talking specifically about you.

I don't see anything extraordinary about pageants like that, no more than parents dragging children to the park or ballet lessons or karate classes. Most parents have extraordinary power over what their children will become. Thats a fact. It does not stop people from watching little Miss Sunshine or Home Alone.

I just find it odd that anyone who thinks a portrayal of a child is sexualised would post those pictures herself.

9. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Just like someone who is disgusted by the violence overseas posts pictures of maimed and dying people to prove a point?

10. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

To counteract your silly statements that nothing is wrong with it. By giving you visuals instead of words. You just don't seem to get it though.

Second of all I would not continually drag my kids anywhere. If they joined karate and hated it so much, they were crying. I would not force them to do it. I also cannot stand parents that fill their young childs plate so much that all they have time for is
    school and afterschool activities...ie sports, music lessons, whatever. Kids need time to be kids and just play. They don't need to be so stressed out that they have no time to socialize with other kids, because they are always practicing and doing what the PARENTS WANT them to do. The kids aren't doing it because they really want to do it. That is where i have a BIG problem with this pageant thing as well. I have seen a few documentaries and shows to see that most of the little girls are very unhappy behind the scenes. To force your child to do something that you have DREAMS about is abuse to me.

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Hmm so posting pictures of the violence is likely to lead to more people being killed? Or less?

So you never take your kids to see movies with kids in them because you abhor such exploitation of kids?

12. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

13. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I don't recall seeing any movies with little girls 4-7 dressed up like these pageant contestants, blowing kisses and flirting with the judges.

The only movie I saw was little miss sunshine. I didn't even really know what it was about. The only scene you see girls like that, is at the end. They are showing how these ppl are exploiting their children. Those girls weren't even actors though. They were actually child pageant contestants.

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I mean any movies with kids. Shouldn't they be out playing? Or in school?

16. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

My main problem as I said was are they being forced to do it? If these kid actors are being forced to do it, then sure they should be allowed to quit doing it. These little girls are not only pressured to perform and are given the wrong message at age 5 that if you are the prettiest you are the best.
    If you have a child that consistently isn't the best you are giving them self esteem and self worth issues in KINDERGARTEN. They are being sexualized, I don't have a problem with a kid that is in modeling that photographed pretty close to their natural, childlike cuteness. The pictures I posted are not natural. They look like teenagers in tiny little bodies.

My youngest son is really cute. ( I know I am his mom) But we get stopped all the time and ppl say how cute he is. Do you know how many ppl
    have told me I should have him in modelling. You know what, maybe he could make it. But I don't send him out there to win trophies and prizes
    to somehow fuel my own ego, that my kid is THE BEST.

17. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

18. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I added a poll for the heck of it.

Why isn't wiki a reliable source anyway?

19. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

I would think it is for reliable psychological info/ studies...its good for basics not details. IMO:shrug:

20. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Ok, just wondering because I do tend to end up there a lot. I also use it a lot when helping my son do projects.

21. Myles Registered Senior Member

SAM you are either naive in the extreme or too dim to see what is going on with these kids. What loving parent would prostitute their little girl for the sake of a chance of winning some stupid contest. They are robbing their kids of their childhood; I find that unforgiveable as would anyone who cares about the welfare of their kids.

There are no ifs and buts; these little ones are being exploited by those whose duty it is to care for them.

22. Ripley Valued Senior Member

And more importantly, their innocence is being bulldozed over with society's most ridiculously ostentatious and superficial commodity: the fashion/cosmetic industry.

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

SAM, do you remember that adoption thing we talked about ?
    Think about your stance then.. now, reconsider your stance here.