child abuse and society

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Rita, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trooper Secular Sanity Valued Senior Member

I’m assuming that it’s safe to say that you feel the same way about the Middle East. That they can shoot each other until there’s only one left.

How many people own guns in the United States? How many people were killed during the Civil War?

Pfft…pacifist, my ass.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

All gun owners are uncivilized and a threat to civilization? We would all be better off, if all gun owners were dead?

Source, do you have one?

Statistical source, do you have one?

List of preventable causes of death in the United States

I take it that you’re against the Castle Doctrine. My husband is a retired police officer. The use of force continuum is similar to the military rules of engagement. Do you hate cops, as well, Fraggle?

Pacifism is a fallacy!

“Pacifism as national policy for a nation is almost unheard of, for the obvious reason that it will only work if no-one wants to attack your country, or the nation with whom you are in dispute is also committed to pacifism. In any other circumstances adopting a pacifist stance will result in your country rapidly being conquered.”

Even Japan's era of postwar pacifism may be coming to an end.

You see, Fraggle, I view coming to the aid of someone who is being attacked as a higher moral duty than not injuring people.

“A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. ~John Stuart Mill”

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Rita Registered Member

Alcohol and abuse is a serious problem in the US, and one of our worst national sins is taking alcoholic beverages into Muslim countries and disrespecting their prohibition of alcohol. This is as irresponsible and sending people with communicable diseases to other countries. Our prisons are full of people who committed a crime while drunk of under the influence of a drug. The crime of child abuse is over looked, however, if we talk about it, we can change how people think about it, and when how we think about it changes, our behaviors change.

The crime of child abuse is not just bruises from a beating, but there is a lot of emotional and mental damage done. Research on animals tells us if an animal is repeatedly hurt and is powerless to prevent it, the animal learns to be powerless and reacts to stress by giving up. Parents under the influence of alcohol or drugs create a frightening out of control environment for the children, even if there is no physical abuse. Then there is the poverty of children raised in homes where the money is used to feed an addiction, instead to providing a safe home that meets the needs of children. Divorce leads to feelings of abandonment and anger and such troubled children will seek each other out, because they no longer feel comfortable with those who do not know what is like to live as they do. Together these young people may act out in anti social ways and this can become criminal and jail problems for them, and then all this hurting and craziness is passed on to the next generation.

I googled alcoholism and personality change and there appears a lack of research. However there is a less formal explanation of alcoholism and personality change here http://casapalmera.com/the-mental-effects-of-alcoholism/ Everyone should know alcoholism can lead to depression which leads to more drinking and this is a downward cycle. It can lead to personality changes that bring on violence.

Considering all the problems caused by alcohol we should at least tax alcohol enough to pay for the all damage caused. This cost would be welfare, prisons, rehab. and programs for all the victims of alcoholism. Let us put some reality behind drinking. Alcohol can lead to tragedy and this needs to be associated with drinking, and just the good times.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Rita Registered Member

War and child abuse. Hello, perhaps we should speak of war and child abuse. How many children know the pain of a parent of being gone for years, because of military service? Their tears when a parent returns is small compared to the terror of a child who grows up in a battle zone. Fortunately, I never experience living in a battle zone so I can not speak of that, but I can speak of war changing fathers and divorce and poverty. WWII was promoted with pin up girls and my mother was one of them, and a USO show girl. The way the war was promoted, there was a war time romance that lead to many marriages and when the men returned from war, changed, wanting to sleep with as many females as possible, and drink all the booze they could drink, divorces skyrocketed. Divorce became acceptable and then it was made easy. No one paid attention to what this did to the children. We are denying what war does to children and what it does to nations.

Is war the only way we have to resolve problems? I seriously doubt that. Would people support a thread about the sins of war and alternatives to war?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. arauca Banned Banned

You have a very good point .

During the war the wealthy and intellectual are the gainers but the middle class pays with blood and broken body for their enjoyment.

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

You're becoming even more irrational than I am. Your citation of my quote isn't even vaguely parallel. I'm talking about people with guns, not the entire population of which they're a reprehensible component. All of the gun owners in the Middle East can go off and shoot each other. That would leave the rest of the population safer.

The figure keeps dropping but it's still around 25%. Way too many.

There are various ways of counting that and various estimates, but in round numbers it was about one million. Three percent of the U.S. population! It still stands out as one of the bloodiest wars in all human history.

This means that most people were only two degrees of separation from someone who was killed in that conflict. If it wasn't somebody you knew, it was somebody whom somebody you know knew. In contrast, even right here in the Washington region, only a few miles across the Potomac River from the Pentagon (which is actually in Virginia), the average resident is six degrees of separation from one of the victims. Your boss's neighbor's kid's friend's teacher's boyfriend partner. Eleven years later, people are still haunted by it.

I submit that this is why there is still so much animosity in the U.S. stemming from the Civil War.
    • Animosity between "Yankees" and "Rebels." Because their grandparents still had photos up of family members who had been killed by the Rebels or the Yankees and they still don't trust them. There are some incredibly inflammatory, insulting bumper stickers on cars around here. Frankly I keep thinking about publishing my own: "Deport the Rednecks, keep the Mexicans. Better food, cooler music, hotter chicks. And they speak English almost as well."
    • Animosity between Euro-Americans ("white" people) and Afro-Americans ("black" people). The Civil War wasn't entirely about slavery, but that was arguably the primary issue and it's the only one that still makes sense to us today. Everyone--Euro-, Afro- Northerner, Southerner--basically believes that the Civil War was fought on behalf of Afro-Americans. In our legend that was simplified from the real event, we think that the reason Great-Granduncle Homer died was so that black people would be magically endowed with all the rights and comforts that white people have, and that they'd be kissing our feet in gratitude for it. Instead, half of them live in ghettos, still angry that we haven't made good on our promise. (Americans have a terrible sense of history so almost nobody knows that Reconstruction barely endured for a decade before white people everywhere replaced it with Jim Crow, which was still widespread in both North and South in my childhood.)
    This is what large-scale killing does to people. It warps their outlook on the universe so they are no longer rational creatures qualified to run a civilization.

It only took the 3,000 deaths of 9/11 to turn Americans into sheep who meekly surrender all of their rights every time they walk into an airport. Those "security" protocols are so badly crafted and so badly practiced that they'll never catch a terrorist, but they make us feel safe.

Of course there are a few who are so well-grounded and disciplined that they will never use their guns in anger or confusion, and they will never be stolen. But we don't know which ones they are. Even they don't know. So the answer to your question is, in aggregate, yes.

Hard to say. We'd have longer life expectancies and within a generation or two we'd get over some of our fears and nightmares. But for those of us who are alive right now, hell we all have friends who own guns. Everyone is complicated and everyone does something stupid that we don't like, but we still don't want to see them dead. My wife owns a gun, which is (from my perspective) safely locked away in a safe in the family home in California, which I visit once or twice a year. I doubt that my relief at waking up one morning in a world free of guns would compensate for my grief over becoming a widower.

I have enough empathy to realize that most people have this problem, so I wouldn't really want them to suffer the grief either.

But that's a strawman argument anyway. We don't have the technology to terraform Mars and ship hundreds of millions of people there to live until they kill each other. The options available in reality are less draconian, but also less satisfying. About all I can offer is that, even as a pacifist, I wouldn't complain if the people who run the NRA were found at the bottom of a well tomorrow morning. These are the people who have so much influence that the government of the United States of America, the most powerful nation in history, is afraid to anger them. They're the retards who think that the solution to every problem is more guns. To kill them would be uncivilized, and I wouldn't participate in the endeavor, but if somebody else did it my criticism would be pretty mild. Situational ethics, and all that. Sure, they all have wives and children, but my sympathy is not limitless and anybody who could love such an evil man gets none of it. If their families would simply stand up for what is right (no sex until you melt down your guns, as in Lysistrata), they might stop being so evil.

• A gun in a home is four times more likely to be used to kill or injure a loved one in an unintentional or accidental shooting than it is to be used for self defense. (Brady Campaign cited in "Ask Amy" 2011-11-10)
    • The U.S. average is 10.34 gun deaths per 100,000 population per year. [With a population of approximately 30 million, that comes to approximately 30 thousand per year, slightly more than road accidents as safer cars and safer roads have steadily reduced that figure.] In Arizona, the figure is 14.97 gun deaths per 100,000 per year. [I'm sure glad I don't live there anymore.] (Washington Post 2010-08-23)
    • From 1986 to 1996, people who kept guns in their homes for self-defense did not gain protection. They have almost three times greater risk of homicide and almost five times greater risk of suicide. (New England Journal of Medicine, cited in the Washington Post 2012-12-31)
    • There are 12,000 gun killings in the USA every year—four times the death toll of 9/11. If suicides using guns are added in, the toll is 30,000, ten times as many. (Concerned Citizens Against Gun Violence, cited in the Washington Post 2013-03-10) [And why shouldn't suicides be added in? My favorite uncle had bouts of depression but he came out of them. But since he had a gun in his desk, it was easier to pull the trigger than to think rationally.]
    I often cite Wikipedia myself. But that's quaternary research. If it's available, I'll give preference to the secondary research in one of the world's most respected newspapers any day. After all, I have written Wikipedia articles.

Absolutely. I'm sure I already posted in this thread the recent death of a local teenager who was drunk and confused and walked into the wrong house because it looked just like his--it's one of those cookie-cutter developments and his family hadn't lived there long enough for him to get his bearings. To add to the coincidence, the same window he had sneaked out of was unlocked in this house too. The gun-totin' Redneck asshole who lived there shot him dead. This is a textbook-perfect example of what I've been saying all along: A gun acquired for self defense is more likely to be used to murder an innocent victim. What do we tell this kid's parents, friends and teachers, much less the neighbors of both families? Because of the Castle Doctrine this worthless scumbag won't even be arrested, much less prosecuted, much less punished. (This is in Virginia, which is still in the Stone Age and practices capital punishment.)

Let me guess: You also think that George Zimmerman should not have been arrested either, right? Every parent in America teaches their children to fight back as viciously as possible if they're stalked and accosted by a creep. But Trayvon was killed for fighting back, because the stalking creep had a fucking goddamned GUN. A child murderer! And he has supporters! If they threw him into a Viking wolf pit I wouldn't complain.

Except more often than not, cops have reasonable evidence that the people they're pursuing have actually done something wrong. Soldiers wipe out entire villages to kill one person.

I try to stay out of their way and I don't socialize with them because we don't have much in common. There are certainly some really bad cops in this country, including a few jurisdictions where the majority of them are bad. But on the balance, no. I hate many of the laws they enforce but they do a lot of good, and they didn't write those laws anyway. Asset forfeiture, in particular, is nothing but a blatant way for police forces to punish people without even prosecuting them.

I'm not a country, I'm an individual. In any case, I don't recommend that the U.S. abolish its armed forces like Costa Rica. But I strongly object to the way those armed forces have been deployed since the end of the Korean War. Their purpose is to increase the profits of the weapons manufacturers and the consulting firms who support them, and lately to protect the treasonous Bush family's Saudi friends by misdirecting our attention toward other people and countries. Backward Baby Bush should have been court-martialed for posing for a photo holding hands with King Abdullah, the man who could have delivered bin Laden's head to the White House service entrance within 36 hours after 9/11. He was the commander-in-chief of the entire U.S. military, does that mean that the military justice system has jurisdiction over him?

Yes. Some people, and some countries, have not been reading their memos. The next war will be fought in cyberspace. And our guys are so far behind that we'll lose it. Tiny Estonia could probably black out Washington. The Chinese could probably take down the nation's entire power grid.

Men love their fucking goddamned guns so much that they want to keep playing with them, even when their enemies have much more effective weapons. The only reason we don't have to be quaking in our shoes over the prospect of China attacking us is that it would destroy their economy. Their programmers are probably clandestinely improving the computer security of every corporation and government agency they hack into, so the Russians or Iranians can't take down the USA, making the bonds they hold worthless.

I have no problem with that. I can even understand that a lot of people felt that way about Vietnam, although the dozens of Vietnamese refugees I've met said they were full of shit. It was the U.S.-backed government that was ripping them off, not the Communists. But except for Grenada, none of our opportunistic wars have had anything to do with aiding someone who has been attacked. Kuwait may have started out with that excuse, but it quickly turned into George I's opportunity to punish Saddam for not having defeated Iran during the seven years that he was our beloved ally, trying to crush the country that had embarrassed the U.S. by seizing our embassy after 25 years of living under the Shah that we installed.

One of my dearest friends was married to a wonderful, sensitive, loving man whom she worshipped. But he had taken the calculated risk of joining the Army reserves to pick up some extra cash, and as luck would have it, he was mobilized and sent to Iraq. When he came back he was a stranger. Screaming, smashing things around the house, terrifying her children. He started hitting her and she had to move out to protect the kids. When the kids grew up she ultimately had to move out here from California to put enough distance between them. He essentially destroyed her house so she lost her investment.

Not all of us. Just folks like Trooper.

As I've noted before, with every passing decade the number of people killed by government violence keeps dropping precipitously. We're at a point now that when twenty people are killed in a battle, it's front page news and we all weep. In WWII that would have been a really good day.

I think the Congo civil war was the last war with a seven-figure body count.

9. Rita Registered Member

Not all cops are the same, but there are some real abusive jerks in police uniforms. I know someone who was married to one, so I know some of them can not enough of violence and excitement and in their off time use movies and TV to feed their addiction violence.

I know in a research project using college students, those who only role played guards became increasingly aggressive and those who only role played prisoners became as helpless victims. The personality changes were so great, the experiment was discontinued.

The nature of a police force as well as the nature of ball team, depends very much on leadership!

I am thankful where I live there is a choice between the police and Cohoots. We can call Cohoots for help and they deescalate the problem. The police try to control with intimidation and they escalate the problem. I really hate what is happening to police departments in some places. It is too influenced by military mentality, which is in turn influenced by what is known of training people to be killers.

10. Trooper Secular Sanity Valued Senior Member

Community property state; you own a gun.

Need I say more?

11. arauca Banned Banned

Is it loaded or you have the ammunition in an other house ?

12. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

It is refreshing that after witnessing several years of people honouring Fraggle's pretentious and smug posting we see behind the mask to the reality of his rather small minded persona.

13. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

..and you are here to provide some moral/ethical guidance? :golfclap:

Wasn't that phrase coined by C. Wright Mills in "The Power Elite"?

One more time, for the record: I did nothing to provoke her. She was "a violent person", she "had a loose bolt", she "was crazy", she "had a personality disorder", she "had a terrible temper", she "took out her frustrations on her children".

I got hit because I was there to get hit - period.

It was not my fault or my doing. I did not rate that, I did not deserve that and she did permanent damage to me with her violent temper for no good reason at all. Just accept that. If I had not spent may years in therapy I may very well have done the same evil things. I chose to walk a different path and extremely pleased that I did so.

In my humble opinion a firearm is a tool - period. Like any other tool it can be either used or misused, depends on the person using it. We are the principle predator on this planet. Violence is part of our very nature. It is up to us to recognize that and channel it to our benefit rather than to our cost. Sports is one such venue, video games another.

I worked mine out in the ring and with meditation, nowadays with running and other serious exercise. I also promote awareness of violence against children, as we may have noticed. Also 'women on men' violence, which is still seriously under-recognized in this country.

14. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

On what particular points do you disagree with Fraggle?

Or is this just a cheap personal attack?

15. Rita Registered Member

Can we remember the subject of this thread is child abuse, not Fraggle, and can we evaluate what has been happening here? Not only has the subject drifted off course, but the behaviors have been abusive. Now what sense does it make to behave abusively and point fingers at others? At this point I will say, I think much abuse is the result of people not being conscious of what is abusive, and not having self awareness or an image of a better person to role model.

Can we keep in mind, this is our community and the quality of our community depends on the quality of our post. If we want a pleasant community, we must be pleasant. Reality is what we make, within the limits of what is possible.

16. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

That whole "community property" thing has never worked with us. She's in charge of everything. It works very well so I don't complain. I manage to do plenty of things that she doesn't like so I put up with the gun. She has agreed that when and if I ever move back home, she'll get rid of it. This certainly illustrates my point that the whole gun issue is all psychological. I'm 69, was never much of an athlete, and am recovering from a couple of orthopedic surgeries. I would be no help against an attacker--feline, ursine or human.

I've never seen it. I don't have the combination to the safe. When I'm home I try to forget that it's there. I would assume that it's loaded because her primary reason for having it is to stop a bear or a mountain lion, and they move much faster than humans. Although since I "abandoned her" (there are no jobs there so I "abandoned" her in order to feed her and pay the mortgage) she does worry about break-ins. It would take the sheriff's deputies twenty minutes to get to our place. My take on that is that we were idiots to buy a house so far from town and we should consider moving back to civilization. Her take is to buy a fucking goddamned gun.

Much of it is simply an expression of anger. That's okay in a place like this because the abuse is all verbal and we're all (presumably?) adults who long ago learned to laugh off abusive language, or just return it and see who can come up with the best bullshit.

But it's not okay in a home, among the people you share it with, because the relationships are stronger and make up a much larger segment of their reality. Being yelled at several times a day by someone you love is far more harmful than reading a couple of paragraphs from some anonymous asshole like me on an internet board. It's even worse for children, because you're the center of their universe. If you constantly express hatred and anger to them, they begin to believe the reason is that this is what they deserve because they're not worthy of your love.

My mother was a screamer and I lived in fear of her for years. It took the failure of my first marriage to learn that this is not the proper way to treat people you love. Since then, I very seldom yell at people in real life. But I do occasionally let loose on SciForums, and by the standards of this place my rants are hardly noteworthy.

My insult to Trooper about her parenting competence was based on the assumption that anyone named "Trooper" must be a man, so I thought I was insulting a father who didn't do his job because one of his sons would be happy to kill people. When I discovered my mistake I apologized. Obviously she's still angry since, after all, I did insult her husband. People who are insulted have every right to fight back, whether or not the insult was accurate or deserved. We all have our dignity. So she can continue to insult me back. Half of you think I deserve it anyway.

Everything I hear, see and read leads to the inescapable conclusion that, in the USA in the 21st century, guns are evil and make us all statistically less safe, and that people who don't understand that are simply fools or bullies, or have been brainwashed by the Army or the NRA. This is my own safety and the safety of the people I love that we're talking about here, not some abstraction that I can contemplate serenely in my easy chair. Every gun owned by each of you who lives in the USA has decreased the life expectancy of everyone I know by something like fifteen seconds. (Sorry, actuarial math is not easy.)

Thirty thousand Americans every year. In a slow year, is that more people than are killed in the whole world by wars? I can't find that statistic.

So yes, I get angry and scream at those of you who take that position. You are threatening my life!

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The Wikipedia article on Mills does not mention the phrase. The Wikipedia article on Military Industrial Complex says that he referred to the concept, but it does not cite the phrase as being from his 1956 book. Furthermore, others came up with the concept before him, including Hayek in 1944. Apparently Eisenhower's speechwriters get the credit. One historian claims that it was originally "war-based industrial complex" and another says "military-industrial-congressional complex," and in either case (or both) it was shortened in later drafts.

There was a brief article about that in the Washington Post a few years ago. An abused husband showed up at a spousal-abuse clinic. He was the only male there and the females booed him out of the room. It wasn't clear whether they simply didn't believe him, or just thought he was a pussy for not being able to fight off his wife. Whatever the case, they sure didn't want him listening to their stories.

Now that I can understand.

18. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

Kick and scream, and get angry and yell all you want to, that is your prerogative, but in no way does it make your position any more correct.

The name of the game is survival in this universe. Do or die so to speak. While you may think your lifespan would be increased by not having guns, that is simply one possibility. The other possibility could be that a gun could save your life. Yup, that's right, believe it or not there are people that protect themselves with a gun. They actually save their own life by being able to shoot and kill an oncoming lethal enemy. Whoda thunk? So there you have it, a gun can save your life or it can take your life. We've all heard your side about how guns are bad things. How about you inform us all about the positive aspects of having a gun handy?

19. Trooper Secular Sanity Valued Senior Member

May I? Well, for starters, his apology is sexist. Is this how you should articulate the parenting role of a woman in a contemporary society, to weep?

A man's duty, but here he is claiming that his wife is the one who is in charge. He is for gun control, while owning a gun. Obviously, he's one to indulge in hypocrisy.

Roughly, 78,908,023 million people would die for Fraggle’s desired outcome of his anti-gun cause. That is more than all the wars combined. Although, he would not participate in killing them, (similar to the politicians that wage war) this would certainly disqualify him as a pacifist.

This sounds a lot like the supporters of pro-life terrorism, doesn’t it?

I didn't ask you for a history lesson. I asked you how many people were killed in the Civil War. It was roughly 625,000, which is a lot less deaths than you advocate.

Sifting through history was there some revelation, an age of enlightenment, or an adaptation, which lead us away from barbaric behavior? No, it was when we forced people to put themselves in other people shoes. It was through sentiments. It is our feelings that move us to action. Our most powerful tool is language, and it was our ability to communicate, to know and relate to others, which moved us to change. Although, at the time, communication was limited, people were able to express sentiments to many, though art, music, and literature. Slavery was abolished through propaganda. It was the deliberate attempt to influence the emotions, attitudes, and the opinions of many. Emotions trump reason. They always have and they always will.

Opposing war is not cowardice, but it's fairly clear that remarks such as these are.

Arauca’s boys are not looking forward to the opportunity to MURDER OTHER HUMAN BEINGS. My son is not happy to kill and unlike this woman, I am not promoting war. BUT until the entire world is ready to agree to keep the peace, we will be forced to prepare for war.

I agree with Emma Goldman. After all, women are more religious than men. And now, here we are in the 21st Century, still stuck with this religious notion of God, which at the very foundation divides us, adding fuel to the “us and them” mentality, inhibiting compassion at its core.

I think that you need to shut your pie hole and ask yourself what the obligations of citizenship actually consist of. Is military service one of them? What exactly is the source of political obligation? Is it consent or do we have some civic obligations that do not require individual consent? Do we have certain obligations bound only by the majority for sharing in a certain type of society?

I was correcting you. If I had chosen to insult you, I would have asked how it is possible for a man with impaired testicular development to have enough penile length to continually step on his own dick.

Goodnight, Fraggle.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  20. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

I read the book as part of a poly-sci undergrad course in 1968 so my memory of what he said may be eroded with the passing of the years. :itold: However....I was very impressed at the time by his use of the term "military-industrial complex" and his citation of Eisenhower's ability as a member of same to move laterally from a position of great power in the military (rank of general) to a rough equivalent position of power in government.

Of course, like Einsteins theory of relativity ("on the shoulders of giants"), I may be giving him credit for work done based on that of others previous.

Yeah, that is sexist for sure.

My best friends wife ran a shelter for abused women for many years. She and I had one brief conversation on the topic many years ago. She laughed at me when I told her that men were also abused by women and asked what facilities were available for them. I had (at the time) recently divorced my first wife after she tried to kill me for the third and last time.

BTW, I agree with your wife on the gun. I count on my .357 to slow down and/or deter a black bear or a puma when I am in the deep bush with my family. Additionally, I often am responsible for transporting extremely valuable uninsured articles that do not belong to me through some very nasty areas in and around Detroit. I have had business associates killed for what they were carrying, do not want to go down without a fight. I take many other precautions as well. If everyone else got real nice and quit doing armed robberies and such I would not have to take such precautions.

I won't hold my breath waiting for that though.

21. Rita Registered Member

Fraggle, I believe you are very good person, but your reasoning isn't right. If you were riding a train and saw someone hurting another person, would you do nothing? What kind of world do we create when we ignore each other or look the other way when someone is being hurt? What does this do to you internally? How does this effect you? How does it effect our world?

Isn't being verbally abusive polluting the waters we all live in? That is, we all come here, and we all react to the abuse. How we react to the abuse, is a feeling that then effects how we talk and behave with others. For good or bad, how we effect others does not stop, any more than any other pollution stops, because pollution spreads, until something counteracts it. At home you effect only a couple of people. On the internet you effect many people. That is the way of the written word.

In science forums people get a little fanatical about preventing woo woo pseudo science, and they can be very insulting with their efforts to prevent woo woo pseudo science. While someone with a religious orientation might be far more concerned about how we treat each other. Will we have a better world if we all are scientifically accurate and treat each other like shit?

Science gives us the power to heal and the power to kill. Words give us the motivation. Which might be more important in stopping wars and other abuses?

Realty is as we create it, within the laws of what is possible.

22. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

It isn't my kicking and screaming that makes my position correct. It is the statistical evidence. What have you testosterone-crazed Uzi-lovers got for evidence? So far it's almost all anecdotal evidence, which ain't worth diddly squat.

This is not a "belief" or a "possibility." For starters, you misquoted me. I said life expectancy, not lifespan. I can't predict my life span with any accuracy. But I can estimate my life expectancy much more accurately: the average lifespan of American men of my age, health history, disposition and habits.

And it is an incontrovertible fact that our life expectancy is shortened by you folks owning guns. What makes this all the more pathetic is that it is also shortening your life expectancies. For every one of you whose life is saved by your gun or that of another civilian, six of you will be killed by one of those guns. This is bonehead arithmetic, not rocket science.

Of course. But the odds are six to one that a gun will terminate my life instead. What person in his right mind would take those odds???

Once again, for the logic-impaired and the reading-impaired:
    Even though guns save lives, they terminate six times as many as they save.
    So far none of you gun apologists has responded to this rather stark truth.

This is not a debating team or a law school. We're not here to learn how to advocate positions we don't hold. I trust you to honorably provide evidence and arguments to support your position. So far you have been honorable, but so far neither your evidence nor your arguments have stood up to statistical examination. In fact you’ve all pointedly ignored the statistics.

If this were a religion website I’d just chalk it up to the innumeracy and the weak reasoning skills that allow them to proudly and joyfully violate the Rule of Laplace every day of their lives. But this is a science website.

Don't blame me, blame biology. For the couple of hundred thousand years during which our species evolved, and in fact for about seven million years before that, after our ancestral species became fully bipedal (beginning with Ardipithecus), males have been the primary food providers while the females have remained behind with the children in a location (hopefully) safe from predators.

In Ardi’s day, when they were still herbivores with long digestive tracts, bipedalism allowed an individual to carry in his arms enough food for a family. After the later species became obligate carnivores, it allowed him to use his hands to carry and use weapons, and bring back the food. The females spent much of their lives pregnant or nursing or simply caring for the young back at camp, which was also easier with two hands. Later they used those hands to gather digestible fruits, nuts, herbs and seeds, which didn’t require such long travel and could be more-or-less safely accomplished with the kids in tow.

Of course the Agricultural Revolution changed all that. Both sexes could now stay close to home to participate in the farming and herding, both sexes could provide childcare, and it’s easier to defend an established village from predators than a nomadic band or a campsite--especially with the help of the dogs who had happily domesticated themselves and could see in the dark.

But that only happened 12,000 years ago, merely a few hundred generations of human breeding. That’s simply not long enough for the mutations and natural selection necessary for a major reprogramming of our psychology. (In contrast, that was several thousand generations for the dogs, and their psychology is considerably different from wolves--they’re better adapted to civilization than we are!) Deep down inside, there’s a hunter inside each man and a gatherer inside each woman. The evidence is enormous, for example, men see motion much better, so we can track our prey, whereas women can distinguish subtle colors that look the same to us, so you can pick the ripe fruit and the non-poisonous herbs.

Sure, our enormous forebrain gives us a unique ability to override instinct and programming, and we’ve done plenty of that. But the override is not complete. Many of us still feel a natural, unbidden hostility to strangers, even though we no longer need to fight over our hunting range. We just do our best to channel that hostility to very distant strangers like the Iranians, so we can cooperate and build a magnificent civilization on our side of the planet.

And it’s still true that on the average, women feel somewhat more drawn to the hands-on aspects of parenting, while men are more content to “bring home the dead mammoth for dinner,” and start spending more time with the kids when they’re ready to learn how to herd the cattle, build an irrigation ditch for the pomegranates, and fire the bricks to build the house.

Almost all of us can adapt to the other side of life, many of us do, and quite a few of us rather like it and are happy to trade places. I can fold a fitted sheet and iron a silk blouse, while Mrs. Fraggle races across our five acres on her own two-handled professional lawnmower. (When I’m home, anyway.)

In summary, it’s not unreasonable to say that in aggregate men have certain propensities and so do women. You mentioned that you were weeping (I can’t remember the exact verb) over your son’s choice of career, which struck me as a downright stereotypical female reaction, so I figured you as having a fairly traditional set of maternal traits. If I’m wrong, I’m (once again) sorry, but surely you can understand how I reached that conclusion. If you divided all the people on Earth into two groups, one with dreams, talents and attitudes that are traditional for their gender, and the other with the opposite set, don’t you think the first group would be about ten times as large? Even in the USA it’s gotta be at least three to one.

I think I deserve some slack for the still-unusual situation of living on opposite coasts and only seeing each other a couple of times a year. She’s good with money so she’s in charge of it. She likes having a big spread so she maintains it. I’m good at earning money so I’m the gastarbeiter working far from home and sending home the money, something men have been doing at least since the days of the pyramid construction projects. (Those Jews weren’t slaves, they were braceros.)

I already responded to that. To ignore my response and repeat the same comment is dishonest arguing. Either move the discussion forward or change the subject. Maybe I’m wrong, but your disingenuousness does nothing to prove it.

Don’t I get to indulge in hyperbole like everybody else? It’s rather obvious that neither I nor the U.N. could actually ship all the gun enthusiasts to another planet. One primary reason is that no habitable planets are known and we have no technology to terraform one. The other is that we don’t have enough materials and energy to transport more than a tiny fraction of them even to Mars, much less to an exoplanet that might be discovered with an earthlike environment.

So let it go as a snarky comment. I can tell from your rhetoric that you’re smart enough to distinguish a wise-ass remark from a genuine suggestion. Many of us have flown off the handle a few times on this thread, but if you’d rather we try to stay attached to our handles, why not lead by example?

As much as I hate guns, and as hostile as I am to gun enthusiasts, I really don’t want to see them all die. There’s got to be a better way to solve the problem of too many guns and too many gun deaths.

I feel the same way about religion--particularly the cancer of monotheism. I have more than once advocated gathering up all the Christians, Muslims and Jews, and sending THEM off to a planet of their own, where they’d be free to kill each other off. I don’t really want to do that, EITHER.

Sure, except that they mean it and I’m just shooting off my mouth. As I said, I know you’re bright enough to understand that.

Pick any war and you’ll find several different estimates of the body count. I’ve seen 625K, and I’ve also seen 1M. A difference of less than one order of magnitude is hardly going to refute my point: the American Civil War is regarded by all historians as one of the bloodiest wars in history. Even if it only killed two percent of the country’s population instead of three. It’s in the same category as WWII, and it made that list without automatic weapons, poison gas, tanks, airplanes and atom bombs. Pretty impressive. I think you have to go all the way back to Genghis Khan to find another conflict that killed such a large percentage of the people who could be reached with the transportation technology of the era. (As far as I know he gets the prize: ten percent!)

You’re in way over your head here. The Neolithic Revolution (farming and animal husbandry, the twin technologies that comprise agriculture), put us on that road around 12KYA. For starters, it created the first food surplus the planet had ever seen, so there was no more need to kill off rival tribes for wanting to steal our food during a drought. But beyond that, our ancestors quickly realized that economies of scale and division of labor make a larger community much more productive (per person) than a small one. It was to everyone’s advantage to invite nearby clans into the village in order to make it larger and more efficient.

The second Paradigm Shift was the building of cities about a thousand years later. Larger “villages” of more permanent, specialized buildings, allowed new kinds of activities to be performed. And economies of scale and division of labor continued to increase the efficiency of food production to the point that a significant number of people could specialize in other professions, such as cobblers, glazers, brewers, ceramicists and explorers. This required people to learn to live in harmony and cooperation with complete strangers, but they managed to override their Paleolithic instincts and do it. A new institution, government, helped, but it also created a complex hierarchy of citizens, instead of the traditional Elder leading the whole tribe.

The Bronze Age took this a step further. Tin and copper ore are almost never found in close proximity, so cities had to establish peaceful relations in order to trade these essential commodities. Inter-city commerce resulted in long chains of time-delayed transactions among people who didn’t know each other, so it became imperative to keep records. The first accounting symbols soon evolved into writing, and suddenly it was possible for people to communicate with each other, not just over long distances, but over time. These advances continued to chip away at our mutual hostility.

Actually best evidence strongly indicates that the technology of language was invented about 70KYA, in the distant Paleolithic Era or “early stone age”--nomadic hunters and gatherers. This is when archeologists find evidence of complex, sophisticated, coordinated activities that couldn’t possibly be performed while also using their hands for signaling.

We’re already pretty certain that language goes back at least 15 thousand years because we’re almost positive that the Na-Dene language family of western North America is related to the Yenisei language of Siberia. This was still the Paleolithic Era. There was plenty of art and music, but no slavery.

That’s certainly a pessimistic attitude. If you look back over history and contemplate all the amazing things that we’ve accomplished, I think the only reasonable comment is, “Wow, it looks like humans can do just about anything once they decide to do it.”

Fair enough. But throughout most of my life, perhaps since WWII but certainly since Korea, we have been fighting immoral and unnecessary wars, not preparing for moral and necessary wars. For the USA and the USSR to use the Middle East as a chessboard for our stupid little exercise known as the “Cold War” was criminal. There is absolutely nothing that can be said to excuse it.

Didn’t you just upbraid me for making a sexist comment?

Hey, you’re preaching to the choir here. Abrahamic religion is probably the worst thing that has happened to the human race. Christian armies destroyed two entire civilizations (Aztec and Inca) because they were “heathens.” There is no sin greater than that, no way future Christians can ever atone for it.

I’m not arguing that point, even if perhaps I disagree with some of the minutiae. What I’m arguing is that for six decades the USA has used its military might for two illegitimate purposes:
    • 1. To increase the profits of the “defense” industry corporations.
    • 2. To support Israel in its campaign to punish the Palestinians for the Holocaust.
    Nonetheless, the stark, incontrovertible reality is that your .357 is six times as likely to be used to kill yourself or some other innocent, than a predatory animal.

I don’t know how far out in the boondocks you live, but we actually live in the boondocks, on land that’s zoned for timber where the nearest neighbor is almost too far away to see, much less hear. Yet even there, the predators who feel comfortable venturing that close to civilization are the ones who have become camp-followers, taking up the easy life of scavenging the trash of civilization -- just like the first lazy wolves who decided to become dogs. These animals have no desire for confrontation. They know when people are home and only come around when they’re not. It doesn’t even take a very large dog to keep them at bay.

Well okay, then you’re a professional and (for the godess’s sake hopefully) have had rigorous training and discipline. Meaning that you’re very unlikely to misuse your gun in anger or confusion, and that you guard it well enough to prevent it from being stolen by a burglar or found by a child or an angry spouse.

So many guns are not that well tended and so many gun owners are not that well disciplined.

Obviously the cops and the troops will have guns. You’re basically a private cop.

23. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

I freely admit that I am an exception to the norm as regards the arts martial and associated disciplines.

My firearms are in locked cases and are treated with the care and respect rated by potentially fatal tools. My sword collection resides on a stand in my home gym, my ability to kill with 1 strike remains in my hands and mind. I practice Taekwondo every morning for 40 years now, was NRA trained and rated as a marksman 45 years ago, am street legal and CCW licensed. I provided paid professional personal accompaniment to a select few in my younger years and as paid professional transporter of goods legal later. Yeah, I can drive a truck through Manhattan too.

I spend a lot of time in the boonies and some downtown, am in the bush every day for a couple of hours. I have been confronted by a variety of animals, thus far have not had to shoot anybody or anything, hope never to have to. So far, less extreme measures have sufficed with both human and other animal confrontations. (I also carry Sabre pepper spray and a 400kV stunner so as to have options)

As I am sure you recall, my Buddhist centered self discipline borders on the retentive.

Also, I am not suicidal, though I considered that an option when I was a child and my mom had me down in the corner beating me.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.