Chicken Pox vaccinations

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by shorty_37, Apr 2, 2008.

1. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I had the chicken pox as a kid and both my kids have had it as well.

What do you think of parents giving their children the Chicken Pox Vaccination available now.

Would you give it to them? or do you think it should just take its course and they get it just as we all did as kids.

In the side effects it says they may get a mild case of the Chicken Pox anyway. So what is the point.
    Personally I wouldn't get this vaccine for my kids. I rather it just run it's course naturally.

How effective is the vaccine?
    It is estimated that the varicella vaccine will offer 70 to 90 per cent protection against chicken pox of any severity and over 95 per cent protection against severe varicella for at least seven to 10 years after vaccination.

Are there side effects from the vaccine?
    Most reactions tend to be mild and include some soreness, redness, itching and/or a rash where the needle was given. A low-grade fever (approximately 38° C) may occur.

Some children may get a very mild case of chicken pox one or two weeks after they get the vaccine but are not likely to be contagious.

Severe reactions are rare.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

my kids had the vaccination, and i would recommend that people get they're kids vaccinated!

has long as you are aware of the risks then it should be ok, when my youngest had it, he had a slight temp after it but nothing serious!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

It says it last 7-10 yrs after the shot. I wonder if they may catch it at a later date after that, and it be even more extreme. :shrug:

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ang2223 Registered Member

this is my understanding. So you have to get this shot every 7-10 years... adult cases of the chicken pox can be very severe to the point of being life threatening.
    I think it serves a purpose for children that are already sick, in someway heart condition, or premature babies with older siblings things like this.

8. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

That is the thing. They don't say that you get the shot again after 7-10 yrs.
    I think you only get the one shot as a baby or child. So I wonder if you get the Chicken Pox
    later on as an adult it will be much more severe and dangerous.

9. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Vaccines are wonderful in theory, but there are so many now I'd be careful of the number that you are injecting into your child's body. To sort of quote Jurassic Park, we're so caught up in the fact that we could prevent so many diseases we haven't really stopped to think if we should. I don't have children, but if or when I do I plan on limiting the number of vaccinations they receive. Especially with the new research being done on a possible link between autism and vaccinations

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Kids can't enroll in grade school here til they have the vaccination or have had chicken pox. My son had it at 2 (a mild case) and my daughter got the vaccination. I don't know of any other child that has had the chicken pox other than my son.
    If you don't get your kid vaccinated, then you will be home schooling them.

My dad got them as an adult and had to be hospitalized. Besides being all over his body, they were in his eye lids, his mouth, and down his throat.

11. ang2223 Registered Member

my children had to be vaccinated before starting school too but the chicken pox vaccine is still optional here. If your religion doesn't allow for vaccines then you don't have to have them to enter a public.

12. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I had to show my kids immunization records to the school before they started kindergarten. They don't have to have the chicken pox vaccine though, it is optional.
    Both my kids had the chicken pox. Even if they hadn't I do not think I would get them that vaccine. Personally I think they are coming up with too many vaccines now, instead of things just running their course like when we were kids.