Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by Oniw17, Oct 28, 2007.
Do they cause nerve damage?
Log in or Sign up to hide all adverts.
that depends what sort of chemical burns.
I mean if acid burns through skin...it will get some neurons...
sodium hydroxide releases heat upon dissociation and contact with skin...so youll get a burn.
No, it doesn't "depend." ANY chemical agent, such as an acid or alkali that's strong enough to burn the skin WILL cause deeper damage if not washed off/ neutralized quickly enough.
well Mr. ...some acids and basis are strong and some are not at all...some can penetrate the skin and some cannot. "depends" is precisely what I used to mask this meaning. spill malic acid on yourself...nothing much will happen. Spill HCl on your skin...and say ciao to looking bombino
That's not the point! You said: "that depends what sort of chemical burns."
And my point is that's a pretty stupid statement BECAUSE if it's strong enough to cause a chemical burn ( and you DID say "chemical burn") and then it can cause subcutaneous damage as well. :bugeye:
there are magazines about this sort of problem, take it somewhere else
Eh, what? Every kid that goes through basic chemistry class is taught about lab safety and there's more advanced training for those of us who worked in professional labs (as I did) - BUT it's still a valid question to ask and deserved an answer. So why just brush it off??
let me rephrase that rhetorically. Chemicals are dangerous and should be handled as well as disposed of properly when obtained. little as 8mms of solutions can cause severe rash. Its not something you can brush off today, it could come back tomorrow.
8mms??? I suppose you mean 8ml. Well, THAT'S a completely meaningless and arbitrary amount!! A single drop (less than 1ml or 1 cc) of concentrated hydrochloric or sulfuric acid and a number of alkalies will cause a severe burn! And many other chemicals are completely harmless. (Consult your MSDS.)
I think you know very little (almost nothing!) of which you speak.
what is a nerve damage, actually?
Btw is it a random question or somebody really get chemical (lye) burns? Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!
I know a friend who got brain malfunction because of heavy metal poisoning.
We were in 3rd year in Univ when he got this accident. He became blind and
lose part of his memory ever since..
Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!
Separate names with a comma.