Cheating

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Adam, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

I don't think there is necessarily any discrepency between the mated pair looking after offspring and the male urge to shag everything in sight. Look at lions, baboons, horses, and others. Generally when a new alpha male takes over, he will kill the very young offspring of the previous alpha, then go about shagging all the females. The male wants only his genes carried on. The females, meanwhile, must deal with this and accept the new alpha, or otherwise they would not be protected by the prode/troop/herd community and the alpha male himself.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xev Registered Senior Member

Yeah, you still sound like a girl, Adamski.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Seriously, I suspect it has to do with trust - not so much the fact that you s/o is shagging somone else but the fact that they lied about it.

What think you?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

I hate people lying to me, true. But the thought of a girl seeing me as less than The One for her doesn't fill me with romantic glee. For me, it's not enough to be just one of the lads, one more notch on the bedpost. If emotion doesn't enter into it, a person might as well start working as a prostitute and make some money with their fun.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pine_net Chaos Product Registered Senior Member

I lie, cheat and steal. ooops, i'm human.

8. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

I don't lie, cheat, or steal. I'm human.

Well, occasionally a little lie.

9. Xev Registered Senior Member

I am a liar.

*Giggles*

Adamski, I agree. Sorta. Never been in a relationship relationship, but I can see how - well, "I should be enough for him" as Rachel put it in Bladerunner.

10. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

You say it as though they are things to be proud of. Strange.

11. Pine_net Chaos Product Registered Senior Member

Are there not good ways to lie, cheat and steal?

Lets put this in another light

I would lie to save a life
    I would cheat to teach a lesson
    I would steal your girlfriend if you treated her without respect.

12. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

I would probably chuck any principles I have out with the trash if doing so was required for someone else's safety/health.

However, I can't see how me shagging someone other than the person I love could possibly teach anyone a lesson. If circumstance reduces you to that, you really weren't thinking hard enough to find other options.

I would not "steal" anyone's girlfriend. I would, however, break some bones of a guy who was hurting his girlfriend, and maybe get a policeman chap I know to visit them and do some nasty things. One way or another, he would cease hurting her. But I don't see stealing as an option.

13. Pine_net Chaos Product Registered Senior Member

Your thinking of the word cheat is a bit narrow. Think out of the box, pun intended.

14. Xev Registered Senior Member

Ummm...

How do you steal a girlfriend, Pine_net? With Viking helmets and longboats?

Returning to the origional question, I suppose that cheating is wrong because it is winning dishonestly, and gives you an unfair advantage over the people who do not cheat.

That make any sense?

Oh yes, and I thought "I am a liar" was quite funny.

*Sulks*

I hate you all!

15. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Any way you use the word "cheat", I don't see how it can be used to teach a lesson.

If I am doing an exam against a cheater, I prefer to do it honestly myself. If the cheater does not learn that they can pass without cheating, it's their bad luck.

If I am in a race against a cheater, I would rather run it properly and not cut corners. The cheater will gain no satisfaction.

As for sexual cheating, as above.

Any way you use the term, the cheater will gain no satisfaction, honour, or anything else of value. They will always know they cheated. I think trying to set a good example by simply not cheating is better than cheating to teach a lesson.

16. Pine_net Chaos Product Registered Senior Member

Why Xev, do you need rescuing?! ( whilst fastening on helmet and readying his long boat)

Now you may be asking yourself how can someone learn a lesson from cheating? Well lets just say that the person being taught the lesson might also be the one teaching.

17. Xev Registered Senior Member

*Grabs her broadsword*

So, Pine, you are saying that it's okay to cheat as revenge?

18. Pine_net Chaos Product Registered Senior Member

Cheating: Anything giving you an unfair advantage over others.

Who said life is fair? We catch ourselves taking the easy way around an obstacle and label it. We try to better and learn from the experience turning it into a positive instead of the negative. Someone once said that all is fair in love and war.

19. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

As far as cheating on tests.

I never cheat on my test, I never study either - just wing it. More fun that way

80% of the time I get a good grade the other 20 should never be discussed in public

20. Lesion42 Deranged Hermit Registered Senior Member

Hmm...

*Grabs his katana*

CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGE!!!

*ahem* well anyhoo, I definitely agree with Adam here. I don't cheat, lie (much) or steal. But I too would toss all those morals out the window when it came to saving another from pain/death/dismemberment. And if the situation isn't something like that, man, then it's just not cool. I shall now retire with my usual farewell.

Stay cool,

Lesion42

21. Tyler Registered Senior Member

You know, ethics are highly overrated

22. Lesion42 Deranged Hermit Registered Senior Member

Hee Hee Hee...

Ready Pine_net?

23. Xev Registered Senior Member

Lesion:

*Parries*

Tyler:
    Mebbe. What use would you say they are, and what value?

I do believe in a code of ethics, but it's very flexible. I'd break every one of my rules if a life was at stake.

Cactus: You know, I got a A+ on the chem test before last - I must have studied for two hours on the damn thing.

Without cheating.