Cheapest Form of Good Nutrition?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Carcano, May 27, 2009.

1. kmguru Staff Member

Today I bought chicken thighs and legs for $0.58 per pound for weekend barbecue....

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. iceaura Valued Senior Member

My jaw was wired shut, I had a tracheotomy in place, hadn't eaten in 48 hours, and they brought me a pork chop with a side dish of green slurry that I think started out as green beans in its former life.

Then they woke me up every 90 minutes for whatever reason.

A couple months of that and I'd have been too sick to leave.

The best nutrition for the money is road kill and dandelions. If you are shopping in, like, a grocery store, I'd go for baby potatoes and very large bulk carrots baked and mashed with the skin on, then fried in lard with a few peanuts.

Although a mixture of brown rice and red beans is traditional, with the very poor getting the ratio exactly right.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Yes, I'd place WHITE potatoes second to parboiled rice as the cheapest form of nutrition.

Only unpeeled white potatoes are FIRM enough to be good without deep frying.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John99 Banned Banned

you can eat dandelions?

8. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Wild lettuce is also very good...with narcotic properties to boot! :bugeye:

9. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

cheap nutrition <> good nutrition

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

An egg. It contains little fat or carbohydrate and good quality complete protein. Rice, parboiled or not, is an incomplete source of protein and essential fatty acids.

11. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Look at the poor in the US. If they aren't skinny as fuck they are fatter than Albert. The theory is that all they can afford is the cheap food that contains a ton of high fructose corn syrup. Combine that with over eating due to the non-filling effects of HCF and you have lard asses on welfare.

I eat 5 eggs every morning.. and 5 strips of bacon.

12. John99 Banned Banned

thats interesting. seems like they wuld be bitter. have you tried the dandelions?

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Why?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Why not?

15. Carcano Valued Senior Member

The fat content is only slightly less than the protein content..however its quality can be improved by feeding the chickens kelp instead of grain.

16. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Raw dandelions...and yes they are bitter!

17. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Have you tried parboiled?

Its very popular in India.

Basmati tastes like paper in comparison.

18. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Junk food is not cheap!

19. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

How so?

In general, crap food is cheaper than healthy food. This is because crap food is processed to death to make it cheaper and last longer. People buy TV dinners because they are lazy but also because they pack a lot of calories for cheap.

Wheat bread costs more than white bread. Orange juice from concentrate costs more than orange juice that wasn't dehydrated.

Calories per dollar are higher for junk food than healthy food. Not every time, but in general.

20. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

You eat meat??

-

Sure. Not the flowers, but the leaves, early in the spring before the plants start to blossom.
    For example: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/tender-dandelion-salad-recipe.html

A very satiating food is a salad made of dandelion greens and potatoes.

21. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Exactly. Which is why I find the quest of this OP with its suggestion of parboiled rice to be misleading.
    There is no one food source that could cover all the nutritional needs.

-

Sure. But you can't live merely off of calories, so the price of calories per kilogram is hardly any indicator of cheapest form of good nutrition.

Last edited: May 29, 2009
  22. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Did I ever make such a claim?

My only claim was that poor people are fat because the inexpensive food they eat isn't very healthy. You can buy a bag of chips for $2 that supplies 1,500 calories. I know because I used to live off food like that when I lived in the dorms. Ramen Noodles is just as bad. I also lived on 2-liters of Mountain Dew.

23. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Yes but this thread isnt about ONE food source that covers everything...its about the BEST food source relative to its price and nutritive value.