Chaos in the House of Representatives

Discussion in 'Politics' started by madanthonywayne, Aug 3, 2007.

1. superstring01 Moderator

I don't... nor do I want it to, other than those things that expressly bar the government from doing something (i.e. no cruel and unusual punishment). Rights, IMHO should be enshrined for citizens only.

~String

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Okay, so in your mind changing the outcome of a vote after the voting is closed and the results declared is some how more ethical than getting 3 members to take back their vote before the time period is up and spend time convincing them to change their mind.

Now before you answer the Repubs were not even stretching the rules. A five minute voting time means that there will be a minimum five minute period and in that time you may change your vote as often as you like. If you have not voted, or withdrew your vote they hold the voting open until the last person votes. Unfortunately after the first 5 minute period you are not allowed to retract your vote.

What the Dems did was as soon as they saw that they had lost the vote and the the voting had been declared over, repopened the voting for Dems only and let them change their vote. This would be much like allowing a state to recast it's vote if it did not like the president elect after the electoral college voted.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Like I said, let them have their investigation. Whoever gets burned, it's their own fault.

In the meantime, the GOP account of what happened on the floor hasn't much credibility. Looking through the C-SPAN footage that is available, I don't see that the GOP at any time won the vote. Maybe I need a different cut.

I can't even find out the status of the investigation. Of course, I guess that means I'm obliged to search through every site on the web that might have the information. I know, why don't we leave the follow-up on that point to those who think it most necessary. In other words, I don't feel like combing, for starters, every GOP Representative's website. Their supporters can do that.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

In the case of the wiretapping bill, if the foreign citizen is within U.S. jurisdiction, they are entitled to equal protection under the law.

I don't think foreigners should be denied a jury, or free speech. I think foreigners in our custody ought to have the right to a speedy trial. The fact of one's citizenship should not make a difference in unreasonable search and seizure. All of these are affirmative rights of the people, and, if I read you correctly, you would take them away from people because they are not American citizens. I find that a little creepy and dangerous.

8. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Psssh, all lies. That kinda stuff can't happen, especially during important things such as voting as the government would have all sorts of safety measures to prevent that from happening. Lemme guess, you're a liberal that also whines about the so-called "stolen elections" of '00 and '04, eh?

I mean, while DIEBOLD's Senior VP, Jeff Dean, was convicted and served time in '91-'95 for 23 counts of felony theft in the 1st degree for planting backdoors that weren't noticed until 2 years later, and also five of the coders who helped write the software were convicted felons as well, our legal system rehabilitated them and they're now a-okay so there's nothing to worry about such as corruption and voting fraud these days.

Heh, yeah fuggin' right..

- N