changin' ur genes

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by gamelord, Jun 6, 2018.

1. gamelord Registered Senior Member

say someone is born ugly, or with a disease, or is trans and wants to change their Genes.

how do u change your genes.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Why? So that your children won't be ugly, or have a disfiguring disease?

Your genes are expressed in your development. Once you're fully-developed, they play a much smaller role.

For example, changing your genes as an adult will not magically make your face become more symmetrical, your lips fuller or your eyes darker. Nor will it reverse the effects of a disfiguring disease.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Jake Arave Icthyologist/Ethologist Registered Senior Member

There’s a disconnect between gene expression and literal genetic information. We call the former the phenotype — genetic expression that can be observed in development and throughout life. We call the later genotype or genome which is a gross representation of all genetic information, expressed or not. Hereditary diseases are caused by malfunctions or mutations in one or more genes that are expressed. Once this has been discovered there is little to no “fixing it” by genetic coding. We can use technology known as CRISPR-Cas9 to modify genetic information before it becomes expressed; which is to say we can “edit” human genes while still an embrio to mediate these issues, but once life has begun to form in full swing there’s little or nothing to be done. Also, ugliness is subjective, and there’s nothing genetically wrong with “ugly” people, as you call them.

TL;DR It is presently impossible to change the phenotypical traits of a diseased individual whom has fully developed.

P.S. Google is your friend.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Shouldn’t need us to tell you this.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. gamelord Registered Senior Member

That doesn't make sense, because children lose their neoteny around the teenage years. Neoteny is further lost in the adult years.

This indicates a transformation that occurs in the teenage and adult years. So if transformations can be triggered to occur in the adult years, why then cannot they be triggered to occur again, through some kind of means?

Example: Through some means, genes are changed.
    Then, the transformation process is triggered, and after a few years the organism now contains the expressions of the altered genes.

8. RainbowSingularity Registered Senior Member

i like these changing jeans

(can genes re-code RNA to be built again? does the Gene hold the complete RNA so it can be re-produced completely with working DNA ?)

9. RainbowSingularity Registered Senior Member

but they should be able to re-code the original growth size ratio, remove or replace hair, give more muscle mass to pelvic floor muscles, lower back muscles etc...

what industry stands to lose trillions ? US private health companys
    why is the USA soo anti universal health ?
    can the world realistically expect real gene therapy to be developed in the usa ?

10. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

But you've completed the growth phase.
    Replacing 5'6" genes with 6' genes wouldn't make you grow another 6".

11. gamelord Registered Senior Member

Hmm, I guess what I'm trying to understand is, can genes make things atrophy?

Say I have an unsightly deformity in one of my bones, say there is a bone which is protruding, in a neanderthal manner, such as the brow bone. Is there a way, that genes can cause my bone to atrophy, and lose its protrudingness to it?

Or is that impossible, and there is a second alternative to beauty.

Such as, simply making the rest of my head so large, that the rest of my forehead grows so large that my brow is no longer protruding.