Chain Reaction?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Kumar, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Hello all,

I was trying to better understand about Chain-Reactions. I could read following link but it is bit more technical for me.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_reaction

Will you tell me:

How Chain-Reaction is also applicable to non-Nuclear Chain Reactions esp. to opted modern environmental insults?

Thanks and Best Wishes.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Hello all,

I have posted this topic in Gernal Science & Technology Forum and request you to guide me.

Basically, I want to better understand:

Can opted regular modern environmental insults cause chain reactions resulting advancement of end of matter or Big Bang?

Best wishes.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. OnlyMe Valued Senior Member

It is hard to understand exactly what you mean, but if I read it correctly the answer is no!

There is nothing we (human beings) can do that will result in the end of matter or cause a Big Bang.., except a balloon does make a Big Bang when you pop it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Just to let you know, posting the same message in different sections is against the rules.

8. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Sorry, but later I felt, it was proper to post it in this forum. I shall request moderator to delete there. Although I have cleared my intention here.

9. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

The general idea of a chain reaction is that one action starts a process, which then has flow-on effects. Usually, the flow-on effects increase in magnitude over time, so that a relatively minor initial cause eventually leads to major effects.

An environmental example might be something like this: we pump a bit more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. The Earth warms by a few degrees as a consequence. That causes ice caps to melt. That causes sea levels to rise. That causes the inundation of a number of low-lying countries, thus making millions of people homeless.

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

What does that mean? Can you give some examples?

11. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Thanks a lot.
    Whether heat, pressure and radiation responsible to advancing the matuaration of any substance?

12. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Global warming tools, nuclear radiation, pollutions, wars by modern arms etc.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  13. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Actually, some idea prevail suggest epoch change---a major change. It may renew after partial but major destruction or after complete destruction--somewhat Big Bang. I was trying to understand, whether it resemple some scientific understanding or not? If yes, I suspect, some chain reaction may cause it.

14. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

None of these things can possibly affect anything beyond the Earth (discounting natural nuclear radiation, of course). They certainly couldn't cause an end of matter or a big bang like the one that started the universe.

If you could throw the entire Earth into the Sun, it would disappear without trace.

15. danshawen Valued Senior Member

Climate actually sounds more like a cascade than a chain reaction. A cascade effect is like a row of dominoes standing on end. The degrees of freedom in terms of which direction they fall are restricted because dominos tend not to fall sideways when another pushes on a face. Hence, when one is pushed too far in the right direction, a cascade results.

In a chain reaction, say, a room full or set mousetraps each ready to launch two pingpong balls into the air (when disturbed by a single pingpong ball tossed into the room to get things started), and when the last ball lands, (or a sphere of plutonium vaporizes and dissipates), at least a few of said set mousetraps or fissionable nuclei will not have gone off or fissioned as a result of the chain reaction. Some energy is dissipated instead of causing every mousetrap to launch more balls or every atom capable of doing so undergoing nuclear fission.

With climate, each and every contribution to an decreased albedo will have an effect in the same direction, and it doesn't matter much where the greenhouse gasses come from. Hurricanes, tornados and other weather systems behave the way they do because the degrees of freedom in which they can move or respond to increased convection in the atmosphere are restricted, just as it is for dominos. Every butterfly flapping its wings has a contribution in terms of heating the atmosphere by virtue of mechanical contact with it. Each human being breathing air, planting crops for food, flushing a toilet, turning on an air conditioner powered by coal, or starting and driving an automobile (even and especially something like a Prius) has an incremental effect on climate by means of this mechanism. Earthquakes and volcanic eruptions likewise are also good examples of cascades, and for similar reasons. When one considers these kinds of events are likewise influenced by global warming, it's hard not to come to the conclusion, like Bill Murray serenely put it: "Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"

Cascade events, like dominos, can be moderated by means of a feedback loop. In this case, a lot fewer human beings engaging in the activities described above means that the cascade eventually stops (like the last domino falling) and things eventually reach equilibrium again. But you may not like all of the results of that particular feedback loop, only because unless you have already fallen, you are going to be a part of it. We'd probably be better off if we were only like pingpong balls on mousetraps ready to be launched, rather than be faced by the respective choices of living in a desert or else at one of the poles.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  16. mathman Valued Senior Member

The chain part can be looked at as global warming -> ice cap melting -> more hear absorbed (water absorbs light, ice reflects light) -> incread warming.

17. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Another Thanks.

On suppose third world war happen(i don't wish) and all type of nuclear and non-nuclear weapons are used, what then can be the outcome? Can is cause such type of chain reactions which may cause overall destruction on earth or big bang like condition?

18. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Thanks for detailed and dynamic reply. Chain reaction or cascading effect--looking at modern nuclear and non- nuclear preffered unnaturalities, suppose 3rd world-war happen(I shall not wish) and all such unnatural and abnormal weapons encased, how mach damage to earth and to universe can happen either as chain reaction or as cascading effect?

19. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

A full-scale nuclear war could devastate the human population of the Earth, and leave areas of the Earth as radioactive wastelands. However, not all life on Earth would be wiped out (or even all human beings, in all probability). There might well be severe effects on the climate for a while, such as a "nuclear winter" due to the large amount of dust in the atmosphere. But the Earth itself would be just fine in the long term. Over a few thousand years, the radioactivity would die down and life would settle into some kind of new equilibrium.

A nuclear war on Earth would have no effect on the wider universe. Space is really big.

20. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Thanks. Good that there is no era /Epoch change with complete destruction as anticipated by some mythologies. I just thought, if some type of chain reaction or cascading effect like so said Butterfly effect, may do that.

21. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Most horrible angle to the odd/unnatural acts done by consicious beings, if chain reactions from a small odd act can be triggered from those.

Relevant physical theory:
    If it likely to happen then, maturation of natural age of all things and beings can be advanced. Natural age of anything can only be predicted subject to natural practices are followed but if natural practices are insulted due to modern consicious introductions, age may be reduced--which can be quite horrible to think.

22. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Although above is related to Biological entities, but probably, nature's extreme reaction is got inhibited which may be stimulated by those unnatural exposures which look low for universe.

23. danshawen Valued Senior Member

Twitter Scholars have now evidently replaced readers of the National Enquirer:

http://soopermexican.com/2015/04/26...k-global-warming-caused-the-nepal-earthquake/

It's even easier to find folks who think it happened because G-d was punishing Nepal for whatever reason.

The former might have a seed of truth, but the connection will be forever in doubt. If Twitter filtered all such nonsense, no one would have anything to say. The latter should probably pray they are not next on G-d's hit list, for whatever reason.

Treat the Earth as gently as if it were yours to take care of, because it is. Condolences to those who have friends or loved ones who perished or were in Nepal when the quake happened.