Cephalic phase

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Kumar, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Kumar Registered Senior Member

How then people with diabetes looses weight, stay constant or gain weight? I have seen that people who first recognized as diabetic & people on medication &/or injected insulin shown this tendency?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Remember, diabetes is a bad thing. Insulin resistance is a bad thing. Obesity is a bada thing. They are all linked. When insulin doesn't work (if u are not producing enough or are resistant to it) then u will gain weight. If u inject urself with insulin then u will lose weight (a very simple description just for u

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kumar Registered Senior Member

John, sorry, but is it not bit contradictory?

Insulin shortage: means we are neither producing the required quantity nor enhancing it or taking it as injected insulin.

Insulin Resistance: Insulin is not working properly(may be due to its excess quantity present) inspite it is present in proper/excess quantity either secreted or by injected insulin.

Will we not loose weight, only in case of Insulin shortage? Moreover, the gain in weight can also be due to gain of water not just fats.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Not really!

Yes.

Ur having trouble understanding what resistance is. When there is continually high insulin levels in the body, cells change so that insulin is not effective anymore (because there was way too much in the first place). Sometimes the body over does this and any of the normal levels of insulin just won't work. This is where u need an injection on top of the body's insulin to get the cells to respond to insulin again.

We will lose weight whenever insulin is working (to put it simply).

No. Insulin does not affect water content of cells.

8. Kumar Registered Senior Member

John, these are expert comments:

""There are only 2 types of diabetes as you have stated. Most people with type 2 either gain weight or stay the same. Weight loss occurs with decreased calories or increased exercise. If someone is dignosed with type 2 and losses weight without trying one must consider that the person actually has type 1 diabetes. I hope that this helps.""

In reply to question:-

"It is seen than diabetics are only classified for two
    types i.e.Type I & Type II. But in Type II some people gain weight
    and other looses the same during the same period after the first
    finding. So how we can classify these two factors. I feel as
    under;

Type II(a) (Weight not loosing or gaining); Diabetes with Hypergly
    Insulin Resistance & Hyperinsulinemia.

Type II(b) (Weight Loosing); Diabetes with Hyperglycemia and
    Hypoinsulinemia.

Since,Hyperglycemia (too much glucose in the blood) and
    hyperinsulinemia (too much insulin in the blood) in a fasting
    individual indicates a person may have insulin resistance they may
    be of Type II(a) as described by me and this condition should be
    able to reverse on ractifying the Insulin resistanc only and so
    should not be at all called a diabetic disease.

Can you please comment and clarify this aspect."

9. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Actually I just read that a lack of insulin also prevents the development of fatty deposits in the body and fatty acids are excreted in the urine (which is why diabetes patients are prone to kidney disease etc.). It IS possible to "falsely control weight" through insulin!

10. Kumar Registered Senior Member

John, I think you considered weight gain when insulin is not working/not there in consideration of excess sugar is converted in fats & weght loss when insulin is working because sugar will not convert into fats. Is it ok? However I am finding some connection of unintentional quick weight gain or loss with partial metabolism of carbohydrates which may show oedma ( pitting type) in legs (pre-tibial type). Will partial metabolized carbs. not hold/retain water (end product of carbs metabolism is CO2 & water).

11. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Actually I do not believe that much of the sugar is converted into fat but it actually stays in the blood stream leading to hyperglycaemia. Fats are mainly formed by another insulin-related process.

Can u explain what partial carb metabolism is? Also is it weight gain or weight loss? One process cannot account for both. There is obviously something else affecting it.

12. Kumar Registered Senior Member

I can't say exactly but I doubt that gulucose matobolism may somewhere resist at at pyruvate level OR at its Anaerobic glycolysis point where pyruvate is reduced to a compound called lactate. This single reaction occurs in the absence of oxygen (anaerobically) and is ideally suited to utilisation in heavily exercising muscle where oxygen supply is often insufficient to meet the demands of aerobic metabolism. Oxygen defficiency seems to play an important role in lactate or pyruvate accumulation. Non conversion of gulucose into its final metabolism level i.e. CO2 & water seems to be a reason of unintentional quick weight gain & fluid retention. BY quick weight loss I mean that, if this condition is corrected & if gulucose is completely metabolized then the quick weight loss can be possible if fluid (lactate or pyruvate) is already accumulated in system. I think body system tries to hold partial metabolized gulucose in certain quantity.

13. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

But unless there was water retention or some other process, I can't imagine glucose stroage leading to significant weight gain! Also, isn't it impossible to store glucose? The reason we use fat and breakdown muscle in starvation times? Isn't excess glucose excreted?

14. Kumar Registered Senior Member

In some uncontrolled diabetic patients, BS level can still remains high inspite they loose heavily in urine. It may mean that body system holds some sugar with water in its partial metabolized state. It may be a normal process or due to imbalance in available insulin( natural or medicated). We can just assume that whether body tries to hold partial metabolized gulucose due to excess insulin present but not used due to IR. You know sometimes health clubs do technoques which causes quick weght loss. I think it can be due to just water loss(not fats as it may take long time). Pls also tries to relate excess insulin(may be by medication) as a reason for above type of water/gulucose retention. Don't a person looses sugar in urine more heavily in non medicated times?

15. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

When u lose more sugar in urine in non-medicated times, this means that the blood level is too high. When u inject insulin, the sugar is taken into cells and used, the blood level returns to normal and there is no loss in urine.

16. Kumar Registered Senior Member

It is ok, but do we lose all excess sugar in urine in non-medicated times or some excess sugar after keeping somewhat higher blood gulucose? Is it not noted that BS do not increase continiously & cease to increase furthur at some point in non-medicated diabetic patients? Btw, is there any relation of weight change & sugar is taken into cells and used OR sugar is not taken into cells and not used but accumulated or lost in urine?

17. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Glucose is only partially released in the urine when it becomes excessively high. At this stage is it almost certain u have diabetes. Other times it can rise (and might contribute to diabetes later) but is not excreted.
    I would imagine that sugar which is stored HAS to be stored in fatty cells so some weight gain asoociated with increased fat should occur.

18. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Does it not indicate that our body tends to hold a certain(fixed or variable?) higher level of sugar in system & releases in urine which is higher than this level? It is mentioned that when insulin do not work or short-- it create a starvation type effect which leads to body using fats in place of sugar. What do you mean by stored in fatty cells?

19. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Yes, the state of this higher level is called hyperglycaemia.

There is definitely a starvation type effect but Im not so sure about breaking down fats instead. Maybe u could be right however.

Fatty cells constitute adipose tissue.

20. Kumar Registered Senior Member

Hypoglycaemia is said to encourage pepsin & so stomach acid. It is just like a fasting effect. However when a diabetic patient who can not either use insulin properly or short of it-- can get higher levels of stomach acidity most of the times leading to eat again and again. Do you know it it is ok or not?

Btw, you have any idea-- whether imbalances in stomach acidity or intestinal alkalinty can effect blood pH?

21. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Hypoglycaemia is not Hyperglycaemia. It is the opposite.

I have no idea really

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. Kumar Registered Senior Member

It is ok. Actually it was other question. I read that while doing stomach acid test, stomach acid/pepsin secretion is enhanced by giving insulin>>> a fasting type/hypo...effect.

"Another test involves insulin-induced hypoglycemia. Enough insulin is given subcutaneously or intravenously to cause the blood sugar to decrease, which causes the vagus nerve to stimulate the release of gastrin. After a short time, the stomach contents are removed and analyzed."
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003883.htm

Last edited: Jul 8, 2004
  23. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

And I'm sure that overall, the person will feel hungry as his/her brain will receive signals from the stomach nerves.