Cellular Contact inhibition

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Pine_net, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Pine_net Chaos Product Registered Senior Member

I've been doing a bit of research into the area of "Contact inhibition" and I must say it is fascinating stuff.

Contact inhibition is the cessation of cell growth and division when the cell contacts a neighboring cell. The contact with the neighboring cell actually inhibits continued cell division. Strangely, Cancer cells do not follow this rule. As they will keep going and form tumors.

How do you get a cancer cell to behave more like regular cells?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

paramecium also display that trait. i wonder if cancer cells ...........naw.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

ok. i'll get serious...

once again..in a nutshell: cancer cells didn't and don't originate from our own bodily cells. they are their own specialized form of cells; cells that are developed separately and unique from our own bodily cells. that's why they behave "differently" than our own body cells. they are actually pretty parasitcal by nature.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

are you sure...if they didn't arise from your own body, where did they arise from then?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

i mean, they are specialized cells...they might have "birthed" from a virus ..and, in that case, no..the body would only be the host for the cancer.

9. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

i think this might explain my premise much better than i ever could. i am looking at the "whole" picture (Gestalt, if you will ) here... the cancer cell requires all sorts of variables in order for it to even begin growing.. that's why our body has onco genes. to snuff 'em out..but, sometimes things can go haywire..

"After the pathogen, be it a VIRUS, or some allergen, has made the pathogenic integration, the need for oxygen in the diseased cells is all the more imperative, and removal of all sources of the pathogenic amines is the prime consideration. And not until a good dispersion of the tissue colloids is had, and a good oxygen supply is present in the cells should the reagent be given. For if it does not have a molecule of oxygen at hand to combine the free radical formed by each dehydrogenation, there will be no curative progression of oxidation, and the reagent is given in vain. This also applies to the free radicals produced by the use of the reducing agent."

for a cancer cure, i think they need to really be doing more research into the idea of "suffocating" the offensive cancer cells. i mean, so much of the cancer's cell's survival is based upon a adequate oxygen supply.

10. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

unfortunately in the introduction of a virus is not the only reason for the creation of cancer cells. Basically we need a sufficient amount of genomic alteration and any cell in the body can turn into a cancer cell. The only exception seems to be adult neural cells, since these types of cancer are very rare indeed (although other cell types in the brain do develop into cancercells, hence we still have many different brain cancers).
    All cancer cells were once you own body cells and technically still are, but they are out of control. I think.

11. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

i disagree. i think you might be missing the "big picture" of what i am trying to explain here. i am talking "gestalt" biology (my own little spin-off) which to me makes sense, but, i am probably just not explaining it clearly enough. so, if you care to know more...just let me know, i will try to clarify the points i was trying to make.

12. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

this following passage may help you understand where i am coming from.

all normal body cells meet their energy needs by respiration of oxygen, whereas cancer cells meet their energy needs in great part by fermentation. All normal body cells are thus obligate aerobes, whereas all cancer cells are partial anaerobes. From the standpoint of the physics and chemistry of life, this difference between normal cells and cancer cells is so great that one can scarcely picture a greater difference. Oxygen gas, the donor of energy in plants and animals is dethroned in the cancer cells and replaced by an energy yielding reaction of the lowest living forms; namely, a fermentation of glucose.

that, plus a cancer cell got it's start as a virus or someother kind of antigen, thus, that makes it "not human" in origin.

13. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

why won't anyone ever respond to my posts??????? what gives?? i am going to stop posting in this forum. goodbye, cruel world...i mean, forum. blah..

14. scilosopher Registered Senior Member

In general telling people they aren't getting the big picture and trying to tell someone how things works generally doesn't encourage discussion.

Most cancer cells have mutations that - activate telmoerase and inactivate proliferation (thus the loss of contact inhibition etc.) and cell cycle checkpoint control genes. This tends to increase the rate of mutations so they continue to evolve.

Cancer is not well understood. Context and the system level interactions are certainly important, but I think spurious monkey might been discouraged by your responses which seem to lack some biological details he may be aware of.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2002
  15. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

you don't know me, so don't pressume to tell me what i was intending in my posts. i even stated in a couple of them that perhaps i wasn't explaining myself very clearly. so, i attempted to rephrase what i was trying to get across. got it? good.

16. scilosopher Registered Senior Member

I never said I knew you. You asked why people weren't replying to your posts and seemed distressed.

I not only gave a thoughtful response to the post in general I gave a potential answer to your question. No need to be snippy.

I'm not trying to be mean, just trying to communicate how I see things ...

17. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

you see....that's YOUR perception on the words i have written above; that's how you chose to perceive my words. funny thing about perception, huh?? it can become askewd or distorted.. eh. snap snap.

18. scilosopher Registered Senior Member

Don't try to be too clever, it's the best way to skew and distort your own perceptions.

I obviously was saying how I perceived what you had to say and don't think language even functionally provides an exact way of stating things. Subjective interpretation is required.

Not to mention everything I have to say is based on my perceptions even if language was more exact. There's no other basis for me to say something.

If your point is that you meant no harm, ok ... that's good. I assumed you didn't. To be more clear especially given your response -

anytime people talk there are misunderstandings of meaning on each side. Even when people are agreeing, this is only within some tolerance. I'm sure monkey was missing part of your point, but equally you were missing part of his and you made a denial of the importance of what he had to say (claiming the disagreement was all his misunderstanding). That does not lead to good discussion or debate in my experience.

Unless you say something interesting and/or informational, I doubt I will respond to any other off topic insinuations that I am indeed (what everyone is) a being with limited information and faculties to comprehend the world around them. I would never claim perfect understanding, that's silly. Please don't attack me for being human, I'm quite happy with the arrangement and won't dignify such an assualt.

19. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

..sounds like someone's trying just a little too hard to be clever now. ...and, it ain't me. ta ta.

20. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

i'm afraid that my limited knowledge tells me that cancer cells are just as aerobe as normal body cells. In fact studies showed that cancers deperately need blood circulation. If a cancer fails to produce the factors that stimulate the growth of blood vessels into the cancer mass they cannot grow beyond a certain size. And I do not recall anything ever published on high 'fermentation' rates in cancer cells.

i guess you have some kind of idea that cancer cells must be primitive because they divide continuously similar to bacteria. Unfortunately this is probably nothing more than an analogy.

but i could be all wrong of course.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2002
  21. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

aw, nevermind. no one really wants to discuss anything with me in any of the science forums, it seems. what??? do i intimidate them, or something..hmmmm. :bugeye:

22. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

pumpkin...do you mean by discuss that we should all agree with you?

23. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

oh, yes...that's what i mean, alrighty...