Cell Phone Radiation Killing You

Discussion in 'Architecture & Engineering' started by serenesam, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. serenesam Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. dbnp48 Q.E.D. Registered Senior Member

I googled the study's author Girish Kumar. He has dozens of on-line references concerning the dangers of cell phones and towers. In one of his presentations, he mentioned that the allowable power levels for cell phones in India is 3 times that of Canada and 4.5 times that of Australia. That probably has an effect on the applicability of his results outside India.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Hogwash.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pinwheel Banned Banned

If someone threw one at you hard enough, it might kill you.

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

With the amount of money they charge me for all the things that the cell phone does, they are killing me...money wise that is! :itold:

9. serenesam Registered Senior Member

10. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

sam, you get more radiation in your body by flying in a plane across the arctic then from a cellphone.

11. dbnp48 Q.E.D. Registered Senior Member

12. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

The fact is that there is no documented evidence from a controlled environment in a replicatable experiment with unanimous results that has been reproduced and reaffirmed many times over to affirm the accusations.

13. Blindman Valued Senior Member

We can all live inside foam padded plastic bubbles. But still the chances of death are 100%. Best way to avoid death, don't live..... LOL

14. dbnp48 Q.E.D. Registered Senior Member

15. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

16. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

That is a good perspective to look at it from.

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I'd like to see a cost-benefit analysis. What benefit are we receiving in return for the slightly increased risk? (Accepting for the sake of the argument that the risk is real.)

I don't use a cell phone. I keep one in my glove compartment in case I have to call 911 or the AAA... and the last time I tried to use it it was dead. Apparently you're not supposed to leave them in your glove compartment during steamy summers and freezing winters--which is exactly where I want it to be.

But I know most of you younger people couldn't live without your cell phones. So tell me... how much risk will you rationally accept for that convenience, pleasure, and business opportunity? Surely a non-zero amount.

Then of course we have to translate these numbers into normalized statistics. How many people per year are going to die because cell phone radiation? Every year several dozen Americans are killed by bees and lightning, and nobody worries about it at all.

Every technology comes with its risks. The automobile is a symbol of freedom all over the world. Yet road accidents are one of the leading causes of death in virtually every country.

18. dbnp48 Q.E.D. Registered Senior Member

Here's a link:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phone_radiation_and_health

There are a large number of credible studies. Jesus, PLEASE take a minute to check before you make statements like that!

19. serenesam Registered Senior Member

20. dbnp48 Q.E.D. Registered Senior Member

I did some looking. There are cost benefit analyses on using them while driving (equivalent to driving drunk) but I couldn't find any on EMT hazards.

I'm sure you're right. If one were done, they would rank down there with bee stings.

It's one of those hot button issues that people like to get excited about. Here in Canada, we're having a similar issue in which a few parents have decided that Wi-Fi in schools will give their kids cancer.

21. billvon Valued Senior Member

Yes. However, aircraft expose you to ionizing radiation (the bad kind, the kind that's been shown to cause cancer.) Cellphones expose you to nonionizing radiation.

If total radiation exposure is what you are worried about, then you're in a tough spot, because most people are exposed to a lot of radiation during the day. Visible light is radiation; so is radiant heat.

22. billvon Valued Senior Member

23. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

First of all, if there was any correlation with cell phone usage and health, considering the millions of very heavy cell phone users, then by now the effects wouldn't be hard to spot since cell phones have been in use for 30 years, and in heavy use for over 20 years.

Second, if you are worried about the EMR from your cell phone use a friggin headset, then the cell phone doesn't have to anywhere near your head.

Arthur

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.