Celibacy .

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by mike47, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

ops, after reading Lori_7's quote of my post i realised i made a mestake. Where it says "male sexual health" it SHOULD read "male MENTAL health". Sorry for the confusion

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. OriginalBiggles OriginalBiggles, Prime Registered Senior Member

Could you be referring to my post #79?

If so, please tell me where your difficulty lies and I'll be happy to explain

OriginalBiggles, Prime

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

If you want to judge a genre by its best example you have sufficient means to accept absolutely anything.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. MGMkZERO Registered Member

Yes.

Everywhere.

Sorry.

Megaman Kills Zero.

8. John99 Banned Banned

your talking to yourself...arent you?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. MGMkZERO Registered Member

No.

"If so, please tell me where your difficulty lies and I'll be happy to explain

OriginalBiggles, Prime"

Now go eat something John99.

10. lightgigantic Banned Banned

The "strawman fallacy" tends to indicate otherwise ......

11. lightgigantic Banned Banned

The reality is that you find people in positions of power misusing their positions of power. Its the central theme of human history.

To use this to demand that the position, in toto, be dissolved is simply a knee jerk emotional response from (rightly) distraught victims.

After all, how many parents have misused that position? Does this mean we should get rid of parenthood?
    How many school teachers have misused that position? Does this mean we should get rid of all school teachers?
    How many politicians have misused that position? Does this mean we should get rid of all politicians?

etc etc

I'm not sure whether you are arguing for the dissolution of the position, but that was certainly the context that the statements were made.

12. lightgigantic Banned Banned

So you wouldn't recommend a mindset of "this person is meant for my enjoyment", yes?

13. OriginalBiggles OriginalBiggles, Prime Registered Senior Member

Post #84 belongs to MGMkZero and it contains;

Originally Posted by OriginalBiggles;

"Could you be referring to my post #79?
    If so, please tell me where your difficulty lies and I'll be happy to explain

OriginalBiggles, Prime ”

Yes.
    Everywhere.
    Sorry.

Megaman Kills Zero.

There's no need to apologise for your deficiencies. In cases involving the godly such deficiencies are sometimes not of their own doing, so in true atheist fashion I am prepared to be magnanimous and allow that you are either dyslexic or that the English language itself poses difficulties for you. If the latter then it is probable you suffered a US public school education and no one fully recovers from such an early disadvantage. A great countryman of yours, Robert Green Ingersoll, observed with conspicuous sapience;
    "College is the place where pebbles are polished and diamonds are dimmed." [note the subtle alliteration]. Nevertheless, it must be a matter of some pride to you that you are illustrative of such noble wisdom from the most distinguished US atheist of his era.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to translate or to reword my post #79. I suggest you have a friend who speaks both English and your native tongue to translate for you. Have him/her concentrate on the second half of that post, that's where the crux lies. And concentrate on your spelling, USA-ians are pretty dreadful at it.

Good Luck to you and yours

OriginalBiggles, Prime

14. John99 Banned Banned

pretty dreadful?

15. John99 Banned Banned

that dont make no cense biggles.

16. OriginalBiggles OriginalBiggles, Prime Registered Senior Member

Lightgigantic #88,
    The reality is that you find people in positions of power misusing their positions of power. Its the central theme of human history.
    To paraphrase a current assertion; "And many, many, many do not abuse that power." Such an assertion is still irrelevant to the discussion and a propagation of the very strategem you would disavow. Men of the cloth from the highest to the lowest cultivate a sacred public trust and confidence far beyond that of the rest. They are the revered channel between the faithful and their deity. Their responsibility covers ALL in their care and protection. They frequently and loudly proclaim their special and unique station in society. Their own doctrine demands they be responsible for ALL spiritual and temporal care when called upon.
    Parents, school teachers and politicians make no such claims and expect no such reverence from their flock.
    Be that as it may, I made no call for the abolition or dissolution of religious organisations and decline to be diverted to this side issue, however much I relish the thought.
    IMHO, centuries will be required for humankind to mature to a self-reliant, intellectually independent member of the animal kingdom. That association itself is a proud heritage but insufficient by a huge margin for us to presume to a suzerainty of the Cosmos. That we presume to be suzerains of Earth is a wholly unjustifiable pomposity.

OriginalBiggles, Prime

17. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

That is a strawman, as is the other quote from you.

18. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

well i would imagine that the kind of relationship i'm suggesting here would be enjoyable. :shrug:

19. OriginalBiggles OriginalBiggles, Prime Registered Senior Member

John99 in his posts #91 & #92 remarked; pretty dreadful? that dont make no cense biggles.

The difficulty lies most probaby in the fact that my mode of expression is written English.

PRETTY DREADFUL = Somewhat dreadful, quite dreadful, fairly dreadful, moderately dreadful, very dreadful, awful, terrible, disgusting, outrageous, horrible, unspeakable, painful, atrocious, abominable, horrendous, frightening, fearsome, dire, unconscionable, unbearable, dismal.

In the Oxford Dictionary, the word PRETTY is defined as adj. beautiful, attractive. As adv. fairly. moderately. I have employed something of the hyperbole in my definitions above. It is used in this sense in the USA as well as English-speaking nations throughout the world.
    I think it was in the movie ANALYSE THIS, Robert Deniro was asked if some mutual acquaintance was unexpectedly deceased, and he answered; "Pretty much." How would you interpret this response?

OrginalBiggles, Prime

20. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Certainly

But is that enjoyment secured through the mindset of "this person is meant for my enjoyment" or something more along the lines of sacrifice, giving more than you take etc?

21. lightgigantic Banned Banned

On the contrary, the act of judging a genre by its worst example is a strawman

22. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

I wouldn't consider it a sacrifice either. I would consider it symbiotic, and a true blessing.

23. lightgigantic Banned Banned

so as long as everything is cool from your end of the deal, its a perfect relationship?