CBS showed some horrible images

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Overdose, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Overdose From the steppes of Mongolia Registered Senior Member

So that is how "good" soldiers act against the "evil" soldiers??! I couldn't figure out which side was evil and which side was good. It was like a Nazi camp. There are so many things going on there that we dont even have a clue. I am sure its not the Americans only who torture their enemies the Iraqis are doing it too. What a mess...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hastein Welcome To Kampuchea Registered Senior Member

That's war, what did you think it was like?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Hesomagari Registered Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Cazov I eat plastic Registered Senior Member

There's always abuse of POW's. Not everyone in the armed services is a saint, some of the people are sick bastards that join the military for reasons other than defending their country...and others are just crazy (not all of them mind you). This isn't to condone this sort of behavior, but it is FAR from new and FAR from abnormal...personally I think anyone caught torturing a POW should become a POW themself and be tossed in with all the people they tortured...then again I also think prisons shouldn't have guards...just people who shoot anyone who tries to get out...heh

8. otheadp Banned Banned

this is disgusting and should not be happening

however, in relative terms, it was very mild form of abuse which was the equivalent of highschool pranks... except where the guy's standing on the box with wires attached to his fingers... that was just f*cked up even though he didn't actually face any real danger

abuse by humiliation is nowhere near as bad as abuse by kicking and punching or worse
    if this is as bad as the abuse gets, the Iraqis shouldn't be worried
    because
    1. this is minimal
    2. this is punished

another thing, some of the Iraqi POWs deserve much worse than having their naked pics taken with a female US soldier pointing and laughing. they should be thankful that that's all the abuse they're exposed to [/political correctness off]

but in general, of course, no abuse should be happening at all

9. A Canadian Why talk? When you can listen? Registered Senior Member

i tought to torture POW the us would play music really loud

anything from slipknot to hanson

hell, listening to hason for 48 hours is death on its own

10. otheadp Banned Banned

they used to "torture" lebanese POWs in the early 80's by playing metallica really loud
    no kidding

11. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Sounds like harmless fun to me, I think they'd instinctually expect to be treated much worse than that by their ENEMIES.
    I mean, I'd do this shit to my best friends.

12. Proud_Muslim Shield of Islam Registered Senior Member

This is how America liberate the Iraqi people !! those who support such torture are not humans but ANIMALS.

13. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Torture? Okay, the standing on the box thing was a little far, but torture? Also, this has been condemned by everyone, including all their CO's. I hate that this happened, it completely sucks on the part of Americans everywhere we should be saying "It's the actions of five idiots, not all," okay?

14. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

This is not torture, they would have been expecting torture(because you know, they were taken captive by the enemy during war) but all they got was 'pranked' and made fun of.
    They were made to pose like they were fucking eachother for crying out loud! How can you all take this so seriously? Its hilarious, get a sense of humour.
    Torture is torture, humiliation is humiliation, totally different things. There shouldn't even be a law against humiliating normal every day people on the street (is there even?), let alone humilating your enemy during a war. How can that be illegal? Is swearing at your enemy during war illegal as well? How about not-sharing cake? Should the soldiers maybe give the POWs massages?

The iraqis should humiliate american POWs as well, each side should get creative trying to out do eachother. It would make for good television.

15. Jagger Registered Senior Member

I can see how America could turn into a fascist nation. There are people like Othead and Dr Lou Natic who will rationalize and justify any inhuman action to achieve their goals. Anyone who would even attempt to justify this sort of action lacks some elements of humanity. Now the American leadership is controlled by people like Othead. God help us and the world, if they get another 4 years to consolidate their power.

This world truly has a lot of sick and twisted people.

16. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Honestly, i'm not even trying to achieve a goal, I legitimately think its ridiculous to make a big deal out of comedically humiliating people.
    The claims of torture are ridiculous, torture is serious, this obviously is not.
    I truely have done much worse to good friends of mine.
    And I would openly tell cops about these things, and I'm sure me and the cop would share a laugh and then go our seperate ways.
    My point being, this isn't serious.
    The victims are iraqi's so of course the usual liberal suspects like to make mountains out of molehills. But this is obviously not a big deal.
    Any honest rational person can see that.
    Its funny how incorrect political correctness consistently is. Political correctness demands we are appauled by this, even though logical common sense shows why we shouldn't be. Thats political correctness for you.
    They'd just call it correctness if it had some base in reality.

17. Jagger Registered Senior Member

When you jail and humiliate people against their will, it is inhuman. When you threaten to kill someone and they have no choice, you are performing an inhuman act.

War makes it very clear who are humans and who are subhumans.

18. dfwfatboy Registered Member

funny how many put self imposed rules on war. Enemies strap bombs around there waists and detonate themselves and innocent people all around them....there are supposed to be "rules of war"? I firmly believe all should be treated as you yourself would wish to be treated, but the overzealouos liberal media continues to make the current administration and all the US military the so called bad guys. The 9-11 commission keeps looking to pin "responsibility" for the 9-11 attacks on someone. This is so ludricous it makes me sick. I think they should air the entire attack on national TV again to remind everyone. Yes we can learn alot by looking back and analyzing how we can improve intelligence, but George Bush OR Bill Clinton should not have to apologize and he should tell everyone who is responsible. His name appears to be Osama Bin Laden.

19. dfwfatboy Registered Member

sorry for the test post..........

20. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

First thing I thought when I saw this was "minor incident that will be blown way out of proportion". And of course it has.

Was it a dumb thing to do? Yes. Should they be punished? Yes. Was it a crime against humanity? Ha. Many people on both sides are being blown up. Some guys getting poked fun at is not a big freaking deal.

21. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

Sorry but I think it is wrong. There is nobody who can tell me that this is legitimate. To treat people, whoever they are, so degradingly, and as the image of the laughing female soldier shows, they are no better than their "enemy". The image it portrays hands a propaganda victory to the other side big style. I do not believe this is either out of proportion, or an isolated incident. No wonder the British Army wants nothing to do with moving out of their "sectors". When a recognised army fights terrorism, so called rules of war do not exist. You have to meet fire with fire, but to do this to prisoners only creates enemies not friends. I hope that the people concerned face a war crimes tribunal in The Hague as they are as guilty as the Serbs in the other conflict.

22. DoctorNO Ultra Electro Agnostic Registered Senior Member

Harmless but humiliating and sometimes frightening for the POWs. And they are more about harmless fun than torture. Knowing the histories of war those things are the best of the worst things that can happen in a war.

23. DoctorNO Ultra Electro Agnostic Registered Senior Member

Yeah it was blown out of proportions alright. When I clicked on that link above I expected to find severed limbs, blood, gore, cries of anguish. And what did I find there? Fun posings.