Cats vs Dogs, or Cardboard Approximations vs Real Creatures

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by superluminal, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

You forgot bull baiting cats, hunting cats, competition cats, ect.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

I've always assumed that this is territorial behaviour - the dog clearing the area of any traces of it's rivals. If there's any truth in this then it's presumably only male dogs that do it and only male stools that are eaten... ?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Strange, I thought you were talking about the gullibility and submissiveness of dogs.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Cats perform one useful function only: killing things. They're cold-hearted predators, it's all they're interested in. Get yourself a nice mice infestation, then see how useful cats can be.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

In other words, dogs are shamelessly exploited by man due to their weak gullible natures.

Cats refuse to be exploited and they are pets merely for the pleasure of their company.

8. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

I agree. I live on a small piece of farmland. Our Patrol Cat<sup>TM</sup> definitely keeps the rat/mouse population under control.

9. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Ok then.

I choose to believe that dogs get as much, if not more, from the partnership we've both established over millenia. Cats, on the other hand are, by your logic, freeloading, egocentric, hangers-on.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

On the contrary. Cats keep themselves clean and do not have to be chased with a rubber hose, they sense when you're troubled and come knead you with their paws. They sit on your chest while you're relaxing and purr gently while giving you adoring looks. They butt you with their heads, chew on your ears and lick you (with no slobbering) when they sense your hygiene levels are below par. They are non-intrusive beautiful graceful companions who need only your company. When their food is late (as can happen sometimes) they express their discomfort vocally in a manner that does not bust your ear drums. You can easily get someone to take care of your cats when you go away for a holiday.

Dogs are needy intrusive creatures who need constant attention to feel validated. They must be bathed and taken out for poo which must then be carried around for disposal (I know you have a lot of land and probably leave it around for them to munch on later).
    ( I could go on for half a page in this manner but I hear you gagging, so I'll stop.

)

11. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Harrumph.

I know these things about cats as I have two of the lovable, freeloading little darlings. Dogs are also very aware of your personal situation and will behave in a similar manner. And it's natural for them to do so, as opposed to the unnatural behavior of cats that are thrust into this situation (ok, ok. You throw spears, I toss flaming heads from my trebuchet). And you already know that a well traind dog rarely barks (except at intruders and strangers - a good thing). My dogs ask politely for their food and treats. And they don't eat their poo. Mostly. We feed them high quality food to avoid the poo-eating, as FR pointed out.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Well, I like dogs too, so no argument.

13. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

My old cat (now passed on, peace be upon him!) loved to sit in laps, mine especially. Sometimes it was annoying!

14. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

HA! I could spend much time in this thread, being a feline-afficionado myself.

Yes, they can sense when you're troubled. Ironically, I had a few times when it was the timid reclusive cat who sensed that I was a mite disturbed. He actually started pestering me quite voraciously. It seemed pretty out of character for him.

15. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

So Super, do you think cats are cardboard approximations or real creatures?

16. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

No. Dogs have adapted to the ever-larger "packs" we have formed, from the tribes of the Mesolithic to the villages of the Neolithic to today's cities. Quite possibly faster than we've adapted to them ourselves, since they have 25 generations to our one. Dogs generally feel that the neighboring dogs are pack-mates rather than rivals, especially if they get an occasional chance to socialize. If you don't believe me, turn them all loose and let a stranger come into the neighborhood and threaten to harm any of "their" children. Preferably someone you don't like, because they will unite into the largest pack you've ever seen.
    This line of reasoning is false but so is its premise. Female dogs can be just as territorial and even more competitive than the males. They mark territory and many even lift their legs to mark it better, especially within the breeds with a high incidence of alpha instincts like our temple guardian Lhasa Apsos. They can be positively brutal with each other's babies. They mate with every male they can find because that way they all think that at least one member of the litter is theirs and will be protective. (No they don't understand biology, this is instinctive behavior.) The females have no reason to respect each other's offspring. Our females get into cranky fights more often than the males, who often engage in ritual combat with a glass door between them and pause to chat about football when someone opens it. There is more than one reason that "bitch" is an ugly epithet.

17. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

I guess I can upgrade them from cardboard approximations to disney-type animatronic devices.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Grrrooowwwfff!

19. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

Dogs are smarter because they work in teams.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So the secretaries are smarter than a CEO?

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I had a beautiful brown striped cat more than 20 years ago; she was the first kitten born in our house and we loved her insanely. She ate so much as a baby (mostly treats from all 6 of us at home) and was on breastmilk even after her mother had the next litter. Her stomach was so big and pink, it used to drag on the floor.

We took her everywhere, to the library, on walks, in the car, to movie theatres (hidden in our jackets). She refused to walk and insisted on being carried and was so sweet natured and patient that she'd sit on the counter at the library for the hours I browsed the books and let everyone make a fuss of her. And she never spoke or fought. Ah, I miss her. We used to pretend she was a fur collar and wear her chubby fullness over our shoulders.

22. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

The CEO works in a team, just as the leader. A cat isn't the leader of anything.

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

No? It's the perfect cold hearted killing machine.

I'd say that qualifies.