Cats can survive a fall of 32 stories and are built-in aerodynamic!

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by peta9, Jul 11, 2007.

1. peta9 Registered Senior Member

I love cats and they are exceptionally fine-tuned animals from their vision to sense of balance, sleekness, cleanliness and beauty etc.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Yes, some cats are clean, sleek and beautiful, but others are just moggies.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. peta9 Registered Senior Member

Don't try this at home. I repeat, don't throw your cat out the window, cat murderers.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That makes sense for an animal that spends alot of time in trees.

8. peta9 Registered Senior Member

Extraordinary cats

Homing Instinct

Birds do it, bees do it -- and so do salmon, rats, and cats. "It" is homing: finding your way back home even after traveling long distances over unfamiliar territory. Indeed, cat lore includes a legion of cats who have found that they can indeed go home again. In EXTRAORDINARY CATS, for instance, it's a cat named Sooty who finds his way back to an old home after his family in England moves more than 100 miles away.

Cats are capable of many mysterious feats.

But Sooty isn't the only cat to have accomplished this marvelous feat. For example, there is Pilsbury, the eight-year-old English cat who has made the eight-mile journey back to his former home 40 times. According to London newspapers, he makes the trip, which takes him across busy roads and through herds of cattle, at least once a week. Luckily, his owners always retrieve him. Then there is Tigger, the three-legged cat who has made the three-mile return trip to his old home more than 75 times. But perhaps the round-trip record is held by Ninja, the tomcat who moved with his owners from Utah to Washington State in 1996. He disappeared shortly after arriving in his new home, only to turn up at the old Utah address -- 850 miles away -- a year later.

Just how these extraordinary cats home in on their old haunts isn't understood. But researchers do have some clues how other animals find their way. For salmon, it appears that the smell of their home waters are key. For birds and bees, navigating by the sun, stars, or moon appears to help. Other animals can orient themselves with the help of magnetized cells in the brain, which act like tiny compasses and help them decide which way is north. Sea creatures may even use the sounds that rumble through the oceans as guideposts.

Do humans share cats' amazing direction-finding abilities? Researchers aren't sure. So far, studies haven't turned up any magnetized cells in our brains, though early navigators certainly learned to use the sun and the stars to steer by. "It is not yet clear exactly what kinds of unique navigational systems humans may have," Patricia Sharp, an expert in neuroanatomy at Yale University, told SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN recently. "I suspect that humans have similar systems -- but at present, there is no evidence to support that suspicion." In the meantime, then, perhaps we'd best just follow our cats.

9. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Cats are gods!

10. Willy Banned Banned

11. peta9 Registered Senior Member

I like dogs too but for different reasons. I know I'm bragging about cat's abilities but all animals have amazing qualities, just in case people assume I mean to discredit dogs.

12. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Dog hater.

13. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Last edited: Aug 5, 2007
  14. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

My mother used to have a cat that fell down 5 stories from a balcony, some time later it was found uninjured.

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

some time later? What did it do, go bouncing down the lawn and they couldn't find it?

Our cat got locked in a shed and was missing for well over a week. Finally we heard it. I can't believe it survived that long without food/water.

16. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

I'm not too sure what happened to the cat after the fall, it probably went into the nearby woods or something, it had never been outside. Later that week they found it.

17. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

That's the saying "Curiosity killed the cat"
    If you leave a door open to somewhere they can't usually get into, they can't resist having a nose around.
    Then when you come back to lock the door they keep quiet and hide.
    They also watch absolutely everything that is going on.

18. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

This comes from a well-known study carried out by 2 vets. They found that injuries increase up to a height of 7 storeys but, after that, steadily decrease with increasing height. The surviving cats don't exactly escape injury-free though:

19. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Yup, thats cats ! They positively rule !!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!