Catcalling -- creepy or a compliment?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Syzygys, May 15, 2008.

?

Do you like catcalling?(ladies only)

Poll closed May 30, 2008.
  1. Yes, it is a compliment

11 vote(s)
    52.4%
  2. No, it is objectification

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. Other opinion (post it)

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

If its in my face, I could hardly not notice it. Like the time I was in a train and a guy unzipped his trousers and showed me his dick. Same thing happened once in a dorm. And in a computer lab. Geez.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

SAM must think she is so hot that every man that looks over or whistles, must be getting a massive boner.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

No, I wait until I actually see one. Thats convincing enough for me.

Some guys actually get turned on at being ignored, maybe someone here can explain it.

And its nothing to do with being hot. Drunk guys are the worst cat callers and I doubt their ability to tell the difference.

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

That's not... cat calling. And hence it is out of the scope of this thread.

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its what I call an in my face cat call. Sticks and stones etc.

9. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

Good for you. What your'e talking about is sexual assault--is the title of this thread "Sexual assault -- creepy or a compliment"?

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Hmm I do not consider showing your dick as "assualt"

11. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

n. Conduct of a sexual or indecent nature toward another person that is accompanied by actual or threatened physical force or that induces fear, shame, or mental suffering.

It's a pretty catching word.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Does an inappropriate sense of humor classify as suffering?

Its crass and offensive, but its clearly not me who is suffering.

But yeah, I tend not to be able to figure out when I am being sexually harassed, so I'll concede someone else might suffer. I tend to just look at the guy and say, is that all? Where's the rest? or some such

13. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

Alright, good to know that whistling and the flashing of genitalia fit under the same category in your mind. I guess nothing else needs to be said here.

14. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I admit that was a bit of an oversimplification. I just get a little sick of the idea of women as poor little victims who get objectified.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Whistling is not the only way that cat calls happen. Loud cries are also used as an attention getter, accompanied by grabbing the crotch, making smacking sounds with lips, lifting the Tshirt to show manboobs and pinching nipples. Its a continuum and all of them are crass. None of them say to me, wow, thats a guy I want to get to know.

16. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

Not equally crass. And again with you women. Where, where, where do you live?! What men actually grab their crotches and do all of the things you're talking about? I'm sure it happens sometimes in some places of the world, but in a regular US city? Nah. At most it's like "You're beautiful, honey!" Or a whistle. Yeah, I know, boo hoo.

17. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

If I get a flirty look or a double dam (as in daaay uuummm) then I preen. I do stand a bit taller and smile. Its a compliment. I smile A LOT and I get a lot of smiles back.

I've never had any of the other kind of cat calls. I don't know if its how I carry myself or the men I've been around. Attitude and first impressions count.

Crude remarks aren't objectifying any more than saying "you look nice in that dress" They are both looking and making a judgement. One is nice the other is being an ass. If a woman gets crude remarks a lot, maybe she should wonder if she dresses like a skank?

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

How about public transport, college campus, busy streets, bars, public events (like balls and dances), airports (once at JFK once at O'Hare)
    No I don't dress like a skank. And mostly I'm lost in my own world, I pay very little attention to my surroundings, usually someone with me has to tell me that some guy is behaving like a dipshit.

19. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

That was a pretty good post, Orleander.

20. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

that's why I said A LOT. I'm sure every woman has heard it from time to time but when you hear it A LOT.....:shrug:

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Since I rarely catch it anyways, I wouldn't know how often I hear it. I'm one of those people who cannot show even a bit of cleavage without getting some attention.:shrug:

22. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Oh, I get attention. Just not crude rude attention. I think most (not all) men can tell class from trash.

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Do you think so? Maybe I come off as trashy then. I don't hang out on the docks.