Catcalling -- creepy or a compliment?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Syzygys, May 15, 2008.

?

Do you like catcalling?(ladies only)

Poll closed May 30, 2008.
  1. Yes, it is a compliment

11 vote(s)
    52.4%
  2. No, it is objectification

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. Other opinion (post it)

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  1. Bells Staff Member

Your edit..

Err because it is patronising. I am not some pet or little girl. I have a name. Had my parents named me "Baby" or "Babe", then it would be a different matter. But they did not.

It wasn't something that was said every once in a while. It was all the time. I would call him and the reply was always "yes Baby?"..:bawl: Drove me insane. I would ask him to stop.. tell him to stop.. he just could not. He was one of those guys who called his girlfriend "Baby".. as in the "Don't worry your pretty little head about it Baby"..

Started off ok.. we could talk about everything.. but then he seemed to settle and then his true self came out. The few and far between "Baby" became something that was constant. By the end, I had become one of those people who could crush a glass in one hand each time he called me that. As I said, it didn't last long.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Mostly, I'm not looking. But yeah, if it comes down to it, there are guys I like enough to settle down with.

Ever tried calling him "kid"? Or kiddo?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Boo. Hiss. Whatever.

Actually, you are defending them—

"However, if you're going to dress without respect for yourself, then people are under no obligation to treat you with respect, either." (#1861897/95)

• "Clearly, there is a difference between grabbing/humping a woman, and making a chauvinistic comment towards a woman because she was flaunting her ass towards your face, while taking gazelle strides in her low-cut, tantalizing skirt." (#1861932/97)​

—even after claiming you aren't—

• "Well, what else are they to do? They work their fingers to the bone, building infrastructure for pampered individuals like yourself to conveniently use. They get paid little for doing a lot; they're usually working in the middle of terrible weather, whilst you're at home sipping hot cocoa and watching old reruns.

"Seriously, let them enjoy their fifteen-minute break! Other than blazing a joint (which can get pricey!), what do they have to do except for ogling women they will never have the opportunity to tap?
    " (#1862215/143)​

—so spare us the sanctimonious crap:

I mean, really ... maybe I would believe your pathetic attempt to disclaim yourself if I didn't read your posts.

And if you want to turn around and try to justify poor behavior immediately after claiming you're not trying to justify poor behavior, don't be surprised if certain people decide to call bullshit.

Seriously, man, if you're going to try to con us, at least put some effort into it.

Boo. Hiss. Whatever.

Thbpbpbpbpt!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kadark Banned Banned

My argument is, essentially, that catcalling is neither "objectification" or "complimenting". I don't participate in it, nor do I approve of it; however, I don't go out of my way to ensure its halting, either. Why are you in such a cranky mood, anyway? Is your girlfriend still as bad as a cadaver in bed?

8. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The new statement works just fine.

But you'll make a point of justifying it. And that's fine.

Given your earlier petite mal tantrum about reading posts, I'm not sure that's your question to ask. If you're going to be sanctimonious, at least be honest.

As far as I know. But I haven't checked lately. Her sexual incompetence is no longer for me to worry about.

9. lepustimidus Banned Banned

Guess I won't bother locking my car door, then. :shrug:

10. krokah Registered Senior Member

If I see someone that is rather striking and I can't help but look, I will also go up to her and tell her that I think she looks great and how nice it is to see someone like her. I then walk away so she doesn't think I am trying to pick her up. Just wish I could though.

11. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

So basically, men can't help whistling and cat calling? They suffer some kind of seizure that makes them do it whenever a woman in a short skirt walks past?

I suppose you also think it's a woman's fault for being raped if she was wearing a short skirt.

12. EmmZ It's an animal thing Registered Senior Member

I've actually heard women say, "I'm not a feminist!" with pride. As though being a feminist somehow equates to being a misandrist. As though being a feminist is a dirty word. As though it's a shameful thing. As though being a feminist will make men hate them. As though they don't want their right to vote. Yet another word demonised and twisted so it's real meaning is lost. Women calling each other whores and sluts, doing the sexists' job for them. How weird would it be hearing a Sri-Lankan calling another "brown skinned person" a "Paki" out of ignorance? I've never heard a person of colour say they have nothing against racists, in fact they think it's all a bit blown out of proportion and would never call themselves an anti-racist. I'm a hard-line feminist. Most people are, they just don't know it. Unless you happen to think women are basically animals who need feeding and sheltering like cattle. What do phrases like, "You big girl" and "Shut up you woman" (said to a man) mean? They mean "You're weak". And my favourite SciForums Ignorant Twat phrase, "Housewife". I'd like their mothers to stop washing their clothes and making their tea for a day, or their wives stop raising their little soon-to-be ignorant little bastards. Let's see how valueless housewives are then when the dirty work has to be done by them, or not at all. I certainly wouldn't shoot myself in the foot by demoralising men, nor would I write my own unvetted thoughts. As for the women who dress like sluts argument, I have nothing to say to that. It makes even less sense than the, "these are virile, hard-working men merely showing their appreciation for good looking women".

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Hear hear!!! :bravo:

PS You're a woman?

14. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Locks only keep honest people honest.

15. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Exactly.
    I would call myself a feminist, but I'm definitely not a man hater. I would just like to be able to go about my life, not be treated as an inferior, and to do things I like without some stupid fuck questioning either my femininity or my zona reticularis.

16. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Ive noticed most hard line feminists dont even like the feminine aspect of human nature.

They go out of their way to look as masculine as possible.

One exception would be this lady on Youtube. Shes on a crusade of restoring spiritual reverence for the divine feminine...or something like that?

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=rasavonwerder

17. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Bollocks.

That's a stereotype, not a reality.

18. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Where do you think stereotypes come from?

19. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

They arise because people are too lazy to judge others by who they really are, and merely seize on one characteristic or other, or assume that one group in society is all the same.

All teenagers are delinquents and drug addicts.

All metal heads are mentally disturbed and violent.

All black people are criminals.

How sound is that?

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

The second one is pretty accurate though

21. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

*heaves a sigh*

I give up.

22. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Some of that does have a basis in reality...although not in such an extreme form, yes.

23. EmmZ It's an animal thing Registered Senior Member

Just out of curiosity, why is that surprising?