Cash for Clunkers

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Buffalo Roam, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Because it is Obama and the Government prioritize spending, on the short term, not the People who are the driving pump to our economy, it is the pump that needs priming, not the well.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Things like health care spending, investment in infrastructure, those are long term boosts to the economy. It's trickle up, not Republican trickle down down, with tax cuts for the rich.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

LOL, Buffalo Roam with all due respect you would not know a fact if it hit you, nor would you know reason. Because you have outsourced those to the leaderhip of your party. Further you have no interest in knowing fact or using reason because it diverges from your preordained direction. You have been shown many times the facts and the reasons..the rationale. But you always ignore them. So don't expect me to give you a complete lesson in macro economics everytime we exhange views.

And the sad truth is Buffalo Roam, we always end these little sessions with you in the corner.

And as for the Marines, they are a proud part of Department of the Navy. Marines are no bellhops. Marines have rescued many an Army dude on many occasions with their Army tails backed into a corner. Marines have made it a habit of rescuing you Army dudes from yourselves.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

And spending on domestic energy production. If we can ween ourselves off of oil imports that is a huge boost to our trade deficit. Almost half the trade deficit it energy related.

p/s Buffalo Roam this is a fact. http://www.frbsf.org/publications/economics/letter/2006/el2006-24.html#sub1

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I happen to disagree with the cash for clunkers program because it encourages buying cars, a transportation method with a limited future. 1-3 billion would better be spent elsewhere.

9. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

The clunker program was never meant to be a longer term investment. It was something fast quick and easy. As you point out there needs to be a longer term and more coherent plan for energy. I think we can do better than the current cap and trade. We need to start using alternatives like natural gas for autos.

10. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

joe it's broke after 5 day, Obama and the Democrats couldn't even come up with a proper cost estimate that came close to properly funding a simple program like this, for 5 months, and you want to claim success?

Like every other program from the Federal Government, it's cost were underestimated, and now the government answer, is the same as any other broke Government Program, spend more deficit money to keep the program going.

Tax payers money, so some one else can buy a car with my money.

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Maybe the demand was underestimated.

12. Malikaru Banned Banned

i wish i had a clunker for some cash.. posting this so i can PM somone after 20 posts

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Usually when something is so wildly popular and fulfilling in its intent [of moving money through the economy] that it is sold out rapidly, its considered a success.

How is success defined in your dictionary?

14. Malikaru Banned Banned

what ever it says on dictionary.com

i promise after tonight no more spam i just need to contact somone and i need 3 more posts to do it

15. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I am not going back and reposting everything before you started throwing chaff. The program is widely viewed as a success by economists. The Cash for Clunkers Program was intended to keep people employed, restore confidence in the economy.

16. candy Valued Senior Member

It does not matter if you are buying new or used; you still have to make a choice whether or not it is a gas guzzler. The program should have been called "Cash for Guzzlers".

The big winner appears to be the Ford Focus. Hope they were not counting on the program to help the bailed out GM and Chrysler.

17. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

It is creating a artificial sales surge, with money we don't have, adding to the
    debt and deficit, from other peoples money paying for the purchase of private property to the benefit of that Individual.

Free Money is always popular, give always draw large crowds, but someone has to pay for them, and why should I be forced by Government largess, to buy part of your car, for you, with out receiving recompense?

ps: none of the money has been sent out to the Dealers yet, (none of that money ends up in the hands of the people), and the vast majority of cars have been refused as qualified by the program.

When a program doesn't add to the Debt and Deficit of the United States, and is Constitutional.

Remember Robin Hood was taking back excessive taxes by the Sheriff, and Government, and returned them to the People, He was not giving away moneys he didn't have, that wasn't stolen in improper taxation with no intent to utilize it for the purported purpose, the Ransom of King Richard.

18. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I looked up Fox news via the Daily show... and pieced together with the other responses.. And all I learnt is this, Don't bother listening to these idiots, because unless you become like them, nothing will make sense.
    The whole point of this exercise was to stimulate the economy, and stem the bleeding of the auto industry. The fact that he can do this while stimulating the production of hybrids is a bonus. Idiot republicans are being obtuse, as usual.

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah and it was wildly successful. How many other programs have been so instantly successful to sell out in 5 days?

20. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

More foreign made brands have been sold when the trade ins were taken as well. So Americans are helping many other countries get out of their economic woe's as well. Nice America can have all that money to give aways isn't it. :shrug:

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Well they're providing goods and services for pieces of paper. Lets hope the currency is worth the paper its printed on.

22. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Moderator note: 7 off-topic posts have been removed.

23. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Except government involvement usually just devalues the currency and causes inflation and poverty.

You gotta love leftism

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!