Cartoons/shows you enjoyed watching as a kid

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by mountainhare, Oct 17, 2006.

1. draqon Banned Banned

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

silly anyways if it really will make u happy, cause it proves ur theory, i reaaaallly hate the one with the lil yellow birdy

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. xandrique moniqueface Registered Senior Member

Glancing through the lists I wonder where I grew up that I haven't heard of a lot of them.

I remember watching the following (though I had my breaking point with every cartoon I would watch on saturday mornings, sometimes I could not STAND to endure them):

- Beetlejuice (I caught an episode today and it wasn't as bad as I remembered).
    - Count Duckula (pure insanity)
    - Hercules
    - Tales from the Crypt (both animated and live action)
    - Reboot (I don't care what you say about it)
    - Samurai Pizza Cats
    - Batman
    - Arthur (I was even thirteen when I watched this, what the heck)
    - Animaniacs (annoyed me sooo much after a few minutes)
    - BUMP IN THE NIGHT
    - Life long simpsons viewer

Others.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2006
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Dr Snuggles.
    Il était une fois l'homme (English: Once Upon a Time...Man)
    Maja de bij (maya the bee)
    Wicky the viking

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. RaeWolfDemon Registered Member

Well being in the 19-20 range i suppose i had the best of both worlds. I grew up watching the looney tunes as well as all the disney shows,
    as for all the shows on tv being all crap for the younger kids... i dsagree: there are many shows now on nick and playhouse disney that aim to the 7+ range or so like the avatar and drake and josh, even the suite life of zack and cody all of them teach lessons using scenarios and provides a show of character building. and to be frank which is better character building, or trying to blow another up with acme TNT? One mus also keep in mind that as one ages, views begin to change, not so much in the classics, but in terms of whats acceptable. You can not forget the fact that societs as a whole has become more lax in terms of manners and what children are getting exposed to. Perfect example being when my 8 year old cousin came walking into the room saying "superman that hoe" from the soulja boy song. That was a big wakeup call to me when i found out she knew more words to that song than I did.
    For my generation there was plenty of pointlessness and yes cow and chicken and angry beavers were two prominent shows that i HATED also the likes of ed ed n eddy and johnny bravo. Ive always liked anime for the simple fact that theres a story line and not just random episodes that one finds in more of the american shows, and i guess that come with wanting something for my mind to work on as i watch, Im a book worm too so that kinda fuels that fire.
    Mind numbing shows are good every once in a while but the ones on now are definitely not suited for a younger audience like adult swims "robot chicken" and "family guy" my list of best shows of all time

Looney toons (ive always been a big fan of the road runner series)
    scooby doo
    TNMNT (my child hood imaginary friends)
    pokemon (who wasnt)
    mighty ducks the animated series
    the original mickey mouse stuff
    yu-gi-oh
    gundam wing
    crocodile hunter
    animorphs
    naruto
    flinstones ( i love the christmas special)
    the jetsons
    lassie
    captain planet
    inuyasha
    bleach

some of them are relatively new
    naruto is a few years old and appeals to pre teens and up..well thats the ideal age
    it actually started a mini martial arts revival in the US (the ata did a study on it.. ata meaning american taekwondo association)
    i guess its just a matter of preference and what one wishes to get out of a cartoon or any show that makes us like it.
    sory it was so long!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  8. RaeWolfDemon Registered Member

looking up i forgot alot on my list like pinky and the brain and aurther/ animaniacs and tiny toons but in the end i think i made my case, im interested in feedback

9. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

Captain Pugwash.
    It used to be a video of split pin characters with voice overs.

Darkwing Duck.
    Best cartoon ever.

Widget the World Watcher.
    Used to have every video of this and DWD, as they used to sell pirates in video shops.

The Muppet Show.

I'll think of more one day.

10. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

11. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Latvians are the wierdest people in the world. I base this on a) sciforums and b) eurovision.

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

13. shaman_ Registered Senior Member

In the early 80s in Australia were were watching The Goodies, Monkey, Astroboy and my favorite, Battle of the Planets.

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Andy Devine - The kiddie show host of ANDY'S GANG/NBC/1955-58, a popular 1950s children's program that superceded SMILIN' ED'S GANG/NBC/ABC/CBS/1950-55 (originally titled SMILIN' ED McCONNELL AND HIS BUSTER BROWN GANG) when the original host Smilin' Ed McConnell died in 1954. The new host Andy Devine was popular at the time for his role as Jingles B. Jones, the frontier sidekick on the western adventure WILD BILL HICKOK/SYN/1951.

The program continued to feature a number of familiar characters including Grandie the talking piano, Froggy the Gremlin, a mischievous frog puppet dressed in a tuxedo, ("Plunk your magic twanger, Froggie!") and animal co-hosts Midnight the Cat and a hamster named Squeaky the Mouse. He began his show saying "Hiya, kids, it's ANDY'S GANG. [Audience sings] "I got a gang, you got a gang, everybody's got a gang; but there's only one gang for me-good old ANDY'S GANG." At the program's close Andy Devine said "Yes, sir, we're pals and pals stick together. And now, don't forget church or Sunday school. And remember, ANDY'S GANG will get together right here at this same time next week. So long, fellows and gals." Born October 7, 1905 in Flagstaff, Arizona, Andy Devine died of leukemia on February 18, 1977 in Orange County, California. He was 72 years old. See also - Smilin' Ed McConnell

http://www.tvacres.com/child_andysgang.htm

15. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Lance link secret chimp

16. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

Dink the little dinosaur

17. Maxi Registered Senior Member

turtles
    transformers
    cobra (think it's french not sure but i saw it in french so)
    darkwing duck
    duck tales
    anything with donald duck and the fellows

18. Maxi Registered Senior Member

also what will always crack me up is that my gramps 87 years old and still kicking it loved
    oggie and the cockroaches! it's funny cos i saw it once recently on tv despite it beeing very old and it reminded me of him

19. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

The Annie Oakley Show

GAIL DAVIS
    1925-1997
    Born in Little Rock, Arkansas

BROADCAST HISTORY:
    Produced; Apr 1953-Dec 1956 (81 Episodes)
    Released;January 1954
    CAST:
    Annie Oakley.........................Gail Davis
    Deputy Sheriff Lofty Craig.......Brad Johnson
    Tagg Oakley.........................Jimmy Hawkins

Pigtails and pistols were the formula in one of the 1950's more unusual Westerns. Five-foot-two, 95 pounds, and cute as a button, Annie was also a crack shot and the scourge of badmen around her hometown of Diablo, where she lived with her kid brother, Tagg (the rest of the immediate family was unaccounted for). Towering Deputy Lofty Craig was her friend and silent suitor, and Annie's uncle, Luke MacTavish, was the seldom-seen town sheriff. Co-starring were the horses--Annie's Target, Lofty's Forest, and Tagg's Pixie.

Gail Davis was discovered by Gene Autry, who featured her in nearly 20 of his movies, 30 of his own program's episodes, and then spun her off into this series of her own, which was produced by his company. She really was a good rider and trick shot, performing in Autry's traveling rodeo as well. She once said "So far as I'm concerned, I'm going to be Annie Oakley for the rest of my born days," and apparently she was right. Today she manages other celebrities.

The real Annie Oakley lived from 1859 to 1926, and was an exhibition sharpshooter for Buffalo Bill and other traveling shows. She traveled around the world, and once shot a cigarette from the mouth of Kaiser Wilhelm II.

Annie Oakley reruns were seen on ABC on Saturday and Sunday daytime from 1959 to 1960, and 1964 to 1965.

http://www.skypoint.com/members/schutz19/oakley.htm

20. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

JESUS GOD!! Cosmic, how old are you?!

21. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I'm not "old" I'm well seasoned!

A seasoned citizen.

22. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

The modern X men animated series, with the teenagers was pretty good.

23. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Sky King

9/16/1951 - 10/26/1952 NBC
    11/8/1952 - 9/12/1954 ABC
    From 1959-1966 reruns were shown on Saturday afternoons on CBS

Black and White - 30 minutes
    Sept. 1953-Sept. 1954 Monday 8:00-8:30
    Aug. 1954-Sept. 1954 Sunday 6:00-6:30

Sky King Cast

Kirby Grant as Sky King
    Gloria Winters as Penny
    Ron Hagerthy as Clipper
    Ewing Mitchell as Mitch the Sheriff

Songbird was his Cessna 310B
    Flying Crown Ranch was home
    Sky King Theme Song

"Sky King" by Paul Sawtell, and Bert Shefter

Sky King Tidbits

Out of the clear blue of the western sky comes Sky King

Sky King was a former military pilot who used his airplane to patrol the skies of his Flying Crown ranch and neighboring areas. He was frequently called upon to rescue someone in distress.

SKy King was mainly a kid's show from the early Fifties, but Sky King was shown in reruns for many years which is why you recall this as appearing later.
    One thing is certain. We all watched Sky King and we all wanted to be pilots.

Penny was Sky King's niece, but yes, in earlier episodes he also had a nephew, Clipper. In the earlier episodes, Sky King's plane was a Cessna T-50 twin-engine "Bamboo Bomber." The more familiar plane was Songbird, a Cessna 310B
    Passings

Kirby Grant died in 1985 in an automobile accident while on his way to watch a launch of the Space Shuttle Challenger at Cape Canaveral. He was to be honored by the shuttle astronauts for his achievements in encouraging aviation and space flight.

http://www.fiftiesweb.com/tv/sky-king.htm