Career Change

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Joeman, Oct 30, 2002.

1. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

I am sick and tired of being an engineer. Doing stuff with electronics no longer interest me. What do you guys think about career hopping? I am thinking about getting an MBA in marketing and work for a few years and then get a degree in law and become a blood sucking lawyers for a few years and then start my own business. After I fail, I start a different business. I don't know. I am also thinking about just getting a double master in another field within EE so I can switch field. Anyone here has similar experience?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. chroot Crackpot killer Registered Senior Member

Joeman,

I too discovered that I enjoyed learning to be an engineer more than I enjoy actually being an engineer. I'm going back to school to get my master's in Astrophysics right now.

- Warren

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

Very little engineering knowledge you obtained from school is actually used in real life. Also the longer you work as an engineer, the less engineering work you do. I am closer and closer to become a manager. I just want to try different career as an adventure.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

yes, i would go with the lawyer option, vampires don't get paid nearly as much.

8. Halo Full Time Nerd-Bomber Registered Senior Member

That's alot of time spent getting degrees. But on the plus side is you can bargain for higher pay everywhere you go. I know it works in the semiconductor industry, not so sure it does so much jumping from one field to a totally different one tho. But if you are tired of engineering then I see no reason to not learn something new. Keep life interesting. Luckily for me I learned engineering was not for me in my 2nd semester of college

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

Halo,

People change. I wanted nothing but engineering until right now. I want to look for new challenge. It takes one year and half for an MBA so it is not too bad. One year is required for double master in EE. A degree in law takes 3 years and the bar exam is not easy by any means. That is a lot of school, but if you saved up money and have no family, it doesn't really matter.

The downside is engineers have some sort of superiority complex. In a company, engineers think they are smarter than everyone else. It is good for your ego. I don't know how to handle not being one.

10. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

ohhhh.. i don't like the sound of this.. i may be changing my major again..

Joeman: are you looking for something that is closely related to what you do, wth some change of scenery.. or are you going for something more drastic?

PS.. if you are planning on paying for another degree, you might have to reconsider that car....

11. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

I already mentioned engineering to marketing to attorney. I think it is pretty drastic.

Too late. For me I think I live a very unhappy life, but money is never the problem.

12. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

toolate as in you already bought the car?

i think if you feel you need the change you should go for it.. don't bother waiting.. you said you feel you live a very unhappy life, perhaps you should just go for what you want. no sense in waiting for hapiness, otherwise, what is the point?

13. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

me

theres nothing wrong with knowing the law but all of that stuff is the farthest from fun as could possibly b.

even with an MBA, and the ability 2 get executive jobs, who wants it?
    any position that requires a person 2 have an MBA also requires u to have no life.
    u could end up with so much respinsibility and have to run a company that is paying you way less than the money you are making 4 it.

starting your own business is always a great idea, but it usually requires fuill concentration, time and effort so u better b doing a business that u really enjoy otherwise 4get about it..

i suggest you write down all the things u like 2 do.
    especially things u love 2 do and cant live without.

use the list as a guide 2 help u figure out what u wish 2 b doing each and every day of ur life.

then pick a career or start a business based those things that u enjoy most.

14. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Nothing wrong with changing carreers, Joeman. People do it all the time. If you are unhappy, don't wait till you're 50 to decide that a carreer change is in order. Do what trips your trigger and you enjoy.

15. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Joeman

I've discovered in my degree that all the technical knowledge required in this field is available at the public libary; university simply brings it together and presents it directly to the student. I've also already discovered through my own projects in my free time that most of what we are covering in classes is not required for doing the actual engineering. I'm currently working on several projects, both hardware and software, and I'd really much rather work solely on those than continue with the lectures and tutorials. I already know where to search for further information; I know what I need to know to at least start my projects, and the rest I am sure I can learn as I work. However, if I remain on my current path, I must continue in classes which will most likely cover things I can learn faster in my own free time, but of course I won't have enough free time to do so if I continue in this degree. Do I want this piece of paper, this degree? It will probably make a difference to an employer. Anyway, I have a few months free for the Summer break; perhaps I can do enough work on my own projects over Summer to make something of them. I have already been invited onto a robotics development team after I complete my degree, because the chap running that stuf was impressed with my ideas. If one of my ideas pans out this Summer, if I gain approval from the head of my faculty, I may be able to avoid some crap next year and concentrate on my own work on uni time. But that depends on one of my ideas panning out. If it doesn't, it's back to the classes.

On the other hand, I have also been considering changing to history/archaeology. Computer engineering was for a job, for money. History is my favourite. Not sure which way to go yet. Although I love history and such, I also tend to have decent ideas in my current field, and have always been good at such techy stuff (I built a walking bipedal robot in year 7). And my current projects could be money-makers. But I am nuts about the past...

Which way do I goooo....?

16. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

My mom had a friend that couldn't get a job because she was "overeducated." Blows the mind, but it happens.

17. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

me

thats y u dont put all ur degrees on the application or resume wen u go 2 mcdonalds.

jus tell them u hav an associates degree or somthing.

an MBA applying 4 a burger flipping position scares the manager because managers r lookin 4 ppol that will work long term

they feel that doctors or such graduates would not stay at a buger flipping job too long.
    therefore they dont get hired and r said 2 b overqualified.

i personally would rather filp burgers part time than manage these companies.

u go in, flip some burgers, get paid, and do not hav 2 worry about bringing ur work home with u or working unpaid overtime in order 2 meet deadlines.

all the money as a manager jus isnt worth it 4 me because working 25/8 leaves me no time 2 do things i really enjoy.

its much worse if u r managing a company that u feel is not worth ur time because it is really not benefiting u or ur people as a whole.

sometimes u could b running a business or industry that u hav utterly no interest in and care nothing about.

that will definitely not make u happy.

like i said b4, figure out wat u really really enjoy above all else and do it.