CaRbO CoNsCiOuS ArE We?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by schwooly boy, Jul 14, 2004.

1. chunkylover58 Make it a ... CHEEEESEburger Registered Senior Member

Don't you mean not enough insulin? Too high level of blood glucose?

Or are you saying that too much insulin leads to the eventual lack of production of insulin?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2004
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

I never said high blood sugar causes obesity. I said Insulin resistance will. Most insulin resistance is cased by over-production of insulin through a bad diet.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Very rarely the sole cause. Even the genetic insulin resistance u might come across inarticles is generally a tendency to get insulin resistance when the receptors are subject to too much insulin (i.e. in these cases it is still caused by poor diet).

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

No, we're not talking about type I here. Insulin resistance is caused by over-production of insulin.

No, insulin is still being produced but a resistance to it develops.

8. chunkylover58 Make it a ... CHEEEESEburger Registered Senior Member

From the diabetes council:
    I guess the confusion lies in the term "enough." Is it producing too little, leading to diabetes? Or is it producing what it always did, but that level is not "enough" to handle all the extra glucose Lardo is taking in? Is it a combination of both?

My understanding of Type 2 has been as such:

Your body is like a 2-bedroom rancher home. You have an HVAC unit (pancreas) that's produces just enough heat and air (insulin) for the home. If, however, you start to add on rooms and make the home bigger (get fat), the HVAC will have a much more difficult time heating and cooling the bigger house. It can pump and pump the same amount of air it used to all day long and not have any effect on the overall climate in the home. It can eventually just shut down from overuse.

9. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

John Connellan,

The final results here is that high glucose does not make you fat, its a problem do to insulin not glucose.

10. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Actually there are two stages.

Firstly, high continuously blood glucose levels mean continuously high insulin levels. If it is like this for a very long time, cells become resistant to the effectsof insulin and u get symptoms of diabetes (as the previous amount is not enough for use). This stage is not permanent however and is reversible.

The second stage is where ur body tries to counteract the first stage by producing more and more insulin. Eventually the pancreas wears out and u get full blown irreversible diabetes. *In some lucky cases it is still reversible.

11. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Like I said, I never said glucose is a problem! I said insulin is the problem. Lower your insulin levels and u will be healthy!

12. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

well then diet does not need to been the answer then.

13. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Ahh, I meant glucose is not the direct factor in obesity, but like I've said countless times, high glucose causes the release of insulin!

14. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

then we should stop eating refined carbohydrates, not carbohydrates in general.

15. chunkylover58 Make it a ... CHEEEESEburger Registered Senior Member

Exactly. Complex carbs with associated fiber should be an intricate and major part of the diet. They take longer to break down and do not cause the dreaded insulin spike so many fear.

Whole foods, whole grains, vegetables, etc.= Good. Refined flour, refined sugar, white rice, etc. =Bad.

16. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Exactly! Thats the conclusion I came to (with Chunkys help)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. chunkylover58 Make it a ... CHEEEESEburger Registered Senior Member

As I mentioned in another thread in the Math and Physics forum re: Atkins Diet ...

We live in a society where if a little is good, a lot must be GREAT. If an extreme amount is bad, then even a little bit must be bad. "Bacteria = germs. Germs are bad. We need antibacterial everything!" (Despite the fact that there are good bacteria that live on and within us that are quite beneficial.)

"Vitamin A is good for vision. I have bad vision. I'll take LOTS of vitamin A." (Only to end up being poisend by the stuff later on.)

I think people are just too damned lazy to think for themselves and want to be told exactly what to eat, how to live, what medicines to take, etc. They don't want to read nutrition labels. They don't want to research and study and listen to their bodies. They hear that some people are having "success" on a low carb diet, so they decide to make sure everything they eat has no carbs. They will buy and eat anything that says "Low carb" on the label, many of them having no clue what a "carb" even is. Hence, the 48grams of fat Hardee's Thick Burger claiming to be "low carb, and therefore good for you."

Same was true in the 90s when everything was "Low Fat." We hear "fat is bad" so we eat low fat. I happened to be in the grocery the other day and was looking to buy some peanut butter. They had "Reduced Fat" and regular. The reduced fat had 190 calories per serving. The regular had, guess what, 190 calories per serving! They just added more sugar to make up for the missing fat and the calories are the same.

So, in general, I still say, "Eat less, exercise more."

18. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

And ironically, there might have been more chance of putting on fat from the sugary low-fat option!!!