Car Hoons: Australia

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Jeremirroer, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Koyaanisqatsi Banned Banned

Only because you love it that everyone knows you're carrying them.
    90% of you wouldn't have the guts to use it, nor know how to if you had to.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sauce We're Living To Die Registered Senior Member

I can probably relate more to spidergoat. I see the crips and bloods once and a while. If car hoons are what spidergoat's talking about, it sounds like its a lot worse here then there. Here they're usually called driveby's. They'll drive around, and plan it out. If they don't like someone, they drive by somewhere they know that person will be, and creep by, and shoot them. Lets say someone does a drug deal with someone, but doesn't pay up, and runs. The next night, if a driveby happens, that person will probably be dead. I would tell you what crip stand for, but I've forgotten. I'll look it up later. Hopefully this is what you are talking about, or at least something similar to it

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Sauce We're Living To Die Registered Senior Member

Ok, I didn't read the bottom posts on page 1. This is just pathetic. I regret posting my first post. I'm just doing this to say 1 last thing. Ok, the world itself has a lot of violence, and is this good or bad? I would think that most of you say that it's bad. And look at this, we're almost ENCOURAGING violence. We're BRAGGING about how much violence we have!! It's pointless and stupid. Ya, so the USA has more gang shootings. So what? I live in the USA, but is that really something to be proud of? I think not. I've been to the ghetto's and slums, but thankfully I dont live there. We need to quit bragging about violence, and try to control it to a minimum or better yet, none at all (though I doubt this could happen.)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. rae Registered Member

I had no idea there were so many idiots here.

A high crime rate is not something to be proud of. There is crime everywhere, in different levels.

there have been *car hoons* as long as there have been cars. It's called, men with big toys as small dick replacement.

8. Frank King Banned Banned

Does anyone have a defense of these people?

I don't have a defense for "these people" all i want to say though is what is wrong with having some "pride in you ride", some "heart for you cart", my double sub woofers in my lowered skyline with my 20 inch custom mad rims are fully sick and i think if some people put as much energy in to something like i do my car i think the worl would be a better place.

Does anyone live in a different city where the same thing goes on?

I live in the Gold Coast, which is the only place to coast

What do other people think of these people?

"These poeple" what is this, "These people"

Car Hoons Stink!

Don't you like the smell of petrol, if you were a man you would like the smell of petrol!!

9. Sauce We're Living To Die Registered Senior Member

Though I have to admit I love tight rides. I want to get a red 95' Cady with hyrdrolics, maybe black flames, not sure. And I think spinners would be to much, but defitently chrome rims. No white-wall tires though. And get the engine running great. I may not have enough for this, but I can dream

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Mystech Adult Supervision Required Registered Senior Member

Man oh man, what's this thread even about? I thought Australians spoke English.

11. lapa Junkie Registered Member

i am a "car hoon"

hey im lapa junkie,

- Female
    - i work monday - friday
    - well paid job
    - went to uni
    - went to a private school
    - live at home
    - 22 years old
    - european decent

but wait

u call me a a "car Hoon"

- i have a done up car
    - a stereo
    - go cruising with friends FRIDAY, SATURDAY and Sunday if not one ALL
    - meet up with other "car hoons"

can you please tell me what im doing wrong cause i dnt break the law, i dnt RIP BURNOUTS... and im not in a gang

we are a group of friends that enjoy making our cars our hobbies....

all you others who DONT GET US.. you were us when you were younger, we just have so much more technology..

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Most are just envious of you all. If they could relive their youth the way you all are doing today they would pay a billion dollars! Don't let them tell you anything, just go out and have your fun just as they did when they were your age. Just don't drink and drive for that could kill you as well as your mates! Enjoy it while you can for one day you'll be old and cantankerous like some here already are!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

We use to have some guys that hung out round here that got referred to as the "Jettiboy's."

I know what most of them got up to because I had been with them once or twice, it's known they did use to hang out and they did use to do things that others didn't like being done, however the main reason for this was because they didn't have any pre-arranged activities to do and they'd get bored and well... do some silly things.

It's known they use to occasionally race about, however for the most part they cruised up and down the seafront looking at what ever holidaymakers were about. They didn't drink and drive and for the most part didn't do drugs either (although some of the people that might turn up once and while might of done such things). Usually they had jobs that required them to be focused during the day and they didn't really have any other hobbies than their cars.

The problem however is the difference in the hobbiest thats got some experience in their hobby (and the unwritten rules of the road) over the novice want-to-be youth that's just got a car together and can be wreckless in trying to promote status among the others. (you could suggest their wrecklessness isn't promoted by such groups but their own psychological evaluation of how they think the group see's them.)

I know of such a wreckless act in regard to a cousin who had only had his license for a few months, he'd befriended this other guy that drove who was a notorious driving abuser (drove wrecklessly, had been pulled on numerous occasions for varying offenses.) Well he and this guy were doing as they usually do (driving offensively in regards to one another but around the speed limit) however they did it through a city centre, my cousin narrowly missed a pedestrian that was crossing the road, however the guy he was with in the other car hit him square on.

The pedestrian hit the tarmac and went into a comma, he was hit with such force that he never regained consciousness and they eventually turned off life support. (The guy died) If he had survived, he would of been vegetablised.

My cousin and that guy did stop at the scene, however they were sentenced to 3 1/2 years each in Jail. It was unfair on the part of my cousin because he didn't actually hit the guy and was only driving like he was because of this other guy's "experience" over his own. (The Manslaughter sentence shouldn't of been split between them, it should of been pretty much just on that guy and that guy alone considering his previous offenses).

However they weren't from or in the town where the Jettiboy's hung out,
    The sort of silly things they could get up to could of been things like burnouts and Handbrake skids, for the most part they didn't actually race that fast (within the speed limit).

What they could of done with is legitimate places to practice their hanging out, somewhere as a 'skid pan' for their burnouts and skids. If it was legitimately handled properly, the promoters could even make a decent amount of revenue for an area while promoting various safety means.

The usual ones that end up in the accidents aren't actually those that hangout, but those that get drunk with people and then attempt to take a carload home. I've known other people to be killed or suffer from amputations or permanent physical disability from such drivers.

Unfortunately though it takes a few people doing these stupid things for the others to realise what jeopardy they can place people in if they think and act wrecklessly. This is why those loiters (that aren't hobbiests) tend to shift in size as people begin to gain more attuneness to responsibility over the wrecklessness of youth.

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

It sounds like gasoline is just too cheap in Australia if you've got punks able to drive for fun. We have the same problem in the U.S. Gas is still less than $4.00 a gallon, and American children have so much discretionary income that they can afford to spend it on cruising. I'll bet you don't see that pastime in countries where motor fuel is priced closer to market value, which is more like $4.00 per quart.

Hoodlums in cars don't bother me half as much as "respectable" citizens driving SUVs, getting 12 miles per gallon (20 l/100km) and taking up half the road. At least the kids don't drive in rush hour, making the traffic even worse.

15. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Well, I don't know, Fraggle, you might have to change your mind if you lived in Dallas. Down here, the hoodlums drive around in SUVs shooting other people on the freeways! They also drive on the big, high overpasses and shoot bullets into apartment buildings along the highways.

Baron Max

16. pr2jd2b Registered Senior Member

car hoons

I wonder how the law deals with morons like that in places such as Egypt, Greece, Russia etc.

I know the goolags in Syberia are no holiday resorts

50 lashes under your feet would stop any bastard from stepping on the accelarator

Electric shock treatment (to your testicles) would stop you from showing off to your girlfriends forever

How about-it Australia, you can cure your hoonery problems instantly !!!

17. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

This thread was started in 2005, briefly resurrected in 2007, and now here we are in 2011.

Don't mind me. Carry on.

18. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

It's a bogan thread.

19. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Yeah, it does look that way.

20. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Bogans can be thought of as being something like the recurring booger.

Although you pick your nose diligently, it just comes back again.

21. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

I used to live in the Rocks, in Sydney before they fixed up the wharf’s in Walsh Bay and the area became gentrified.
    I used to work late and then walk my dogs around the harbour front and back up Argyle St to get home around 11 o'clock.
    Car hoons used to park along the strip looking across at the opera house. These kids were mostly of a Middle Eastern appearance and they obviously spent a lot of money on their cars.

One thing I noticed was how much the cops seemed to harass these guys even when they were just parked and doing nothing. The cops would search their cars and defect them, some of the guys even had engineers certificates for the modification to their cars. It made no difference the pigs still defected them.

I can’t say I didn’t find their doff doff music irritating but they way the cops treated them was disgusting.

Profiling them because of their race and the sort of car they were sitting in, maybe if they actually saw them doing burn outs and acting like fuckwit's the cops would have some justification. But they just continue the same old crap.
    It's no wonder everyone hates the cops here. I wouldn’t piss in their ears if their brains were on fire!

22. superstring01 Moderator

Indeed. Though I doubt Oz has the same gang problem as most American metro areas. We call it "cruisin'" or "cruizin" here, and it's illegal in many parts of many cities.

Tempe, Arizona (where I used to live), actually has a popular "night spot" called Mill Avenue. It's a modern city center with bars, night clubs, theater, restaurants and a nifty five-foot wide median in the middle that police with cameras and ID software use to monitor traffic. If a car does too many laps, they get a ticket. You get, like, two laps per hour, I believe. After that, the software sends a police officer a message and you get pulled over and a nice hundred dollar fine.

~String