Car fob trick...

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Seattle, Mar 9, 2022.

1. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I don't know how much of a problem this is but apparently cars with keyless ignition and keyless entry are easy to steal for the right thief.

I love keyless ignition and entry. I don't put my car in a garage but I do live in a house (rather than an apartment or condo) so I would face some danger but not as much as in a more crowded environment.

The concept is that the thief buys a gadget that can read the code on your key fob from a distance. In an apartment building they could just walk down the hall and read everyone's key code.

There is a second type of gadget which boosts the signal from your key fob. With this gadget all they have to do it go to your car, the gadget boosts the signal from the key fob in your house to the point where the car thinks the key fob is right there. They just turn the gadget on and can get in your car, start it and drive it away.

I've read that some people have tried keeping the fob in their refrigerator or wrapping it in aluminum foil.

I've learned that there is a "trick" that works on most fobs. It's programmed to be shut off but it's generally not mentioned in the car manual. After you get out of your car and touch the door handle to lock it, you just hold down the fob lock button and at the same time press the unlock button twice.

You will see a tiny red led (that you probably didn't even know was there, I didn't) flash once and then your fob is effectively turned off. Which means that no one can read the fob code because it isn't broadcasting a signal.

When you are ready to use your car again all you have to do it touch any button on the fob and it's operational again.

I've started doing this just out of habit now. If you keep your car (at home) in a garage maybe it's not worth the bother. If you live in an apartment complex it's definitely worth the "bother". Whether you do it every time you go to the mall, work, the grocery store, etc. is up to you. It depends on the crime in those areas I suppose and now long you will be away. So far I've only done it at home.

If nothing else, doing this will prolong the life of the fob battery.
    I live in a "safe" neighborhood but cars parked on the street do occasionally get stolen.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Aluminium cases for credit cards interfere with the RF signal if a device is trying to read your card

Car key fob should be protected in aluminium case or wrapped in foil

Have my passport in a plastic wallet

Lined the wallet with foil. In China tourist are required to carry their passports at all times

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.