Captain America: Assassinated

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Prince_James, Mar 8, 2007.

1. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I don't understand. Can foreign insurgents be heroes?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

he is an american hero.

dont you understand that when americans do it, we get a different standard?
    sheesh! i thought we were past this, monkey!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Did he have a beard?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. leopold Valued Senior Member

when has that ever stopped anybody?

8. WraithGod Registered Senior Member

"I always liked it when him and wolverine would combat the forces of communism and the Nazis together."

Amen! These days we're too politically correct/sensitive for the fun stuff. You don't see him beating up Middle Easterners. Then again, the Taliban or whatever they're calling themselves these days would probably suicide-bomb the crap out of themselves in protest. -.-

9. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Wow. This is a great observation. Where did you read this or did you come up with this insight yourself?

I haven't had the chance to glimps any of the Civil War saga, but I agree. Cap represents the American ideal. When the country becomes corrupt, and starts fabricating threats in order to justify increased security in order to justify eliminating people's freedoms, it is Cap that leads the resistance against the country apparently culminating in his own death, and thereby the death of the ideal.

I am all for freedom and human rights. Cap was a symbol for this in the Marvel universe. The writers did sort of screw up his character who used to be a total goody goody that always respected everybody to a disrespectful arrogant bastard. The real Captain America should have remained a great and just figure fighting crime, and all the while respecting the rigts of all.

10. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

*Bucky, (James Barnes) might be a candidate. I'm not sure what his status is nowadays. Good or evil?
    *US Agent (Jack Walker) who could well be considered practically the 2nd Captain America could eb a good candidate.
    *Nomad (Jack Monroe) would have been good had he not been killed by Bucky.
    *Rick Jones, Hulks friend, is also a possibility.
    *Marvel Boy is destined to be Captain America anyway no matter what anyway. Might as well make him Captain America now. Plus he is a mutant, so it shows America not to be racist against mutants.
    *Falcon has worn the suit before, but I doubt he will be Cap because he is already Falcon.

11. Lord Hillyer Banned Banned

If the shot doesn't kill him, Captain America's stay at the VA hospitals certainly will. He might catch the plague from one of the many rats running about there.

12. paulfr Registered Senior Member

Finally, the American Concept of Innocent Until Proven Guilty still holds. Without a trial, these detainees are all still technically innocent of any crime. The only reason for initially holding them is because they were captured in a combat situation. They need to be released and repatriated back to their native countries
    =================================
    Since when is a war prisoner or detainee granted the rights of a US citizen ?
    The Constitution applies to US citizens, not the entire population of the world, much less POWs.

13. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Constitutional rights apply to everybody in cluding POWs. Not just US citizens.

14. paulfr Registered Senior Member

No they do not, and saying it will not make it so.
    They apply to American citizens only.
    Geneva Convention accords and other international treaties apply to all.

Logic is not your strong suit I take it.

15. vslayer Registered Senior Member

if you arent going to grant them your rights, then let them go back to their country. you cant lock someone up in your country then say that because they arent american you have no obligation to treat them humanely let alone with any concern for their civil rights.

16. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

The constitution applies to all people as stated. If are deported as prisoners that is a different story. while they are in American soil, they abide by America laws as foreigners. All the rights are the same with the exception that they do not have many citizenship benefits like SSI and Foodstamps.

17. paulfr Registered Senior Member

Yes, you have a point.
    Certainly a legal resident of the US who is not a citizen must be covered by the Bill of Rights. Even an illegal alien resident should be also.
    But a military combatant has rights granted by military law and Geneva and that should be sufficient IMO.

There are all sorts of details involved here so further discussion without specifics is pointless. For example, where was the person apprehended ?
    Cleveland or downtown Bahgdad ? I fail to see how an Iraqi should enjoy the benefits of the American Constitution.

18. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Why? Iraqis and anybody else from any country are treated equal under law accoding to foreign policy.