capitalism and education

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by spuriousmonkey, Aug 15, 2006.

1. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Why would the government provide schooling in a 'survival of the fittest' (as in the greedy definition, not the biological one) economy as often is seen the ideal of the 'righties'.

In fact, isn't any of them who went to any public school the victim of their greatest fear? The 'handout'?

As for serious replies, I would like to hear how the libertarians think on this topic of schooling and government? (fraggle!)

Maybe later we can discuss how education should be (or discuss it right now).

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

i am also a libertarian.

my children WILL NOT attend public school if i happen to live in america when i have kids.
    the atmosphere of public schools varies from district to district, obviously.

i started my high school experience in a "class D" school (very small). i was the captain of our academic games teams, etc etc. the ratio of "dullard" to "intellectual" was probably 5-1. that being said, in my experience this is a very amazing (in a positive way) statistic.
    in my 11th grade year, i moved to a larger city school which was "class AA" (very large). there were 1100 students in my graduating class. i would say the dullard ratio was 30-1.

why is this? a smaller school recieves less funding for educational projects and books, because of the smaller base of students, while the larger school recieves 10 to 20 times more money per year from the government.

i guess it goes to show that incredible reform is necessary in the federal education monetary distribution.

screw that, my kids are going to a Rudolf Steiner school.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.