Cannabis and the US Gov't

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Kief, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

My back hurts alot, progressively more painful every year. I went to the Dr and he wouldn't give me painkillers. Only a suggestion for physical therapy. (I doubt that would aleviate much pain from smashed up vertebra)

Now I have two options: Take some ineffective liver destroying over the counter painkillers, OR I can find me some marijuana, OR the last "option," which I'd like to avoid: heroin. I'd wager that marijuana is the best alternative for my situation

The madness of the pain is worsened as it progressively moves forward in extremely minute increments......

Makes me want to sue some bastard law makers.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kief Registered Member

you are very rude wesmorris. you do not have to agree with me, even if i AM wrong, but dont try to insult me. THC doesnt kill braincells by the way.
    i dont expect an apology from you, you do not seem that mature based on your previous comment.
    if you look back, you should notice that some of your remarks were not necessary.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

I made substanative remarks after giving you hell, which I said I was doing.

Are your feelings hurt because you said something kind of dumb on an internet message board and someone who you don't know, and doesn't know you called you on it and had a little fun with it?

Are you seriously that fragile?

Surely not... ?

If so, please get your shit together and grow up a bit.

If not, then quit whining.

If you're just a kid and the intarweb tubes are confusing and jumble your capacity for appropriate syntax, like using the term 'literally' in a pathetically misinformed manner... turn off your computer until you're 21.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kief Registered Member

thank you for proving my point on how immature you are.
    if you have fun calling someone stupid, then i feel bad for you. you should find fun in other things.
    my feelings were not hurt, it just shocked me that you would be so rude about the way i used the word "literally"...
    you chose to interpret the way i used that word differently then what i obviously meant. i know the reasons they made it illegal, what i meant was is that it might as well be no reason, because the reasons are ridiculous.
    and yes, you dont know me, and i dont know you.
    so i am gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and say that you have a certain image of me...
    well, since you dont know me, let me give you the correct image.
    im a peaceful person with an open mind. i dont like having enemies, and i try to be understanding. i am planning on being a math teacher. i get A's and B's in all of my classes (i am a senior in highschool), and i love learning. i am not the stereotypical pothead.
    so theres the image i would like you to have.
    and please, in the future, dont be so mean to me, its not necessary. being mean to ANYBODY is rarely necessary, let alone on Sciforums.
    and about you telling me to "grow up"...seriously....come on man. i know i have alot of growing up to do, but you do as well. would you define grown up as insulting people on internet forums based on how they used the word 'literally'?
    no.
    so i will grow up along side you.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  8. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

not bright... or pretty stoned.

read more better.

your testimony lends to the former conclusion though, sadly.. whiner.

you apparently are that fragile.

I said quite clearly: "oh nevermind I'm just giving you hell man"

yes then, quite clearly since you are that fragile you should grow up, assuming you're not a kid.

note that you key in on the superfluous and apparently latch onto it with a flailing whimper of claimed abuse rather than anything regarding the actual topic of the thread.

your understanding of what it is to be mean is quite flawed in my opinion.

please, continue whining now.

9. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

oh, having merely skimmed your post i missed an important detail regarding that you apparently ARE a kid.

sorry then kid, but do you understand what it means when someone says "just giving you shit"? it means they are teasing you. from there it's fair play to "give the shit back" but not to "whine and moan about the shit" unless you're a panzy, then you really should be more careful about remaining sheltered... as the world is sure to provide nothing but damage to your delicate psyche.

try when reading the above not the take it personally, but to ponder the validity of the advice in general and perhaps argue against it if you find it faulty. taking things like that personally will yield much fail for you in life... well perhaps of course unless you're one of those letigious nanny-state asswipes who represent what i most despise about humanity. since i doubt that, please understand that though you may not relate to or comprehend my tone at all... there is no malice behind the words. what you are mistaking as such is simply my internal attempt to avoid sugar coating my thoughts (edit, mostly to and for myself - sugar coating reality doesn't garner much wisdom as far as i can tell, rendering one laden with delusion)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  10. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

I think the issue of age is in the back of my mind now on a number of posts, however agist this might seem. I started noticing that some people struck me as young and while their avatar, name and often knowledge-base gave a false impression, there were clues that they were very young - by my standards - and that part of the wall in the argument was their lack of experience - obviously my take. Then it felt sort of foolish to have taken offense, or mounted a complex argument.

Not that that sits right either since it is, well, agist. (ageist?) And certainly some young people could kick my ass with wisdom. And, even more obviously, some will be 'right' on certain issues. Nevertheless I stand by this sense of 'Oh, if I had realize he was 19 earlier I would have skirted the whole damn thing' as being valid somehow.

Here you are reacting to it given a strong emotional reaction. But this, of course, could have come up with someone over 70. I've had that experience also.

It is almost as if there are age-based cultures which some members can have cross cultural awareness of and thus be worthy opponents and some members are stuck in: the adolescent who confuses the on paper ideal with what it would be/is like in reality; the 70 years, however well educated, who has very little awareness of how his or her emotions create blind spots because, well, it wasn't so common to do self-analysis, and, especially with men, to notice one's emotions or express them, so the damn things had a life of their own in the unconscious.

11. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Well to me man kids get slack because of their brains and such being all forming and stuff. Pretty much that simple. I don't think it fair to hold them to the same standard as an adult, which of course is a fairly arbitrary distinction in terms of age. I think of people under 25 as kids pretty much, generally speaking. Of course there are exceptions.

12. Kief Registered Member

"try when reading the above not the take it personally, but to ponder the validity of the advice in general and perhaps argue against it if you find it faulty. taking things like that personally will yield much fail for you in life... well perhaps of course unless you're one of those letigious nanny-state asswipes who represent what i most despise about humanity. since i doubt that, please understand that though you may not relate to or comprehend my tone at all... there is no malice behind the words. what you are mistaking as such is simply my internal attempt to avoid sugar coating my thoughts."

I see what you mean. Then I take back what I said before.

13. Dr Mabuse Percipient Thaumaturgist Registered Senior Member

why not just order some Loritab or Percodan or etc. over the internet?...

from one of the many websites that will take your symptoms, and have a doctor write the scrip for you?...

14. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

I was thinking more practically and selfishly than neo-morally (which is how I would describe your response above). But I don't disagree.

15. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

I think these pot threads have a tendency to spawn angry people

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

As a hard-line advocate of drug freedom, I nonetheless absolutely agree that children must not be given the same rights as adults for very good reasons. Everything from their endocrine system to their judgment needs to mature before they should be taking ANY psychoactive drugs, including alcohol and caffeine. It can cause all kinds of harm, ranging from making stupid decisions to changing the way their physiology and psychology develops.

Besides, if we've created a world in which children NEED drugs, we've fucked up pretty bad. If their lives are that bad now, how will they ever survive adulthood? I wouldn't put the age of consent at 25 for all drugs, but certainly for some of them like tobacco.

I hate to sound like Mister Mackey, but drugs really are bad for children, mm'kay? We libertarians believe that children need to be treated like children, because that's what they are and that's why we call them that.
    Absolutely. The people I've seen getting into trouble with pot were not very bright to begin with. Doctors and lawyers and computer programmers get stoned and they're still smarter than most people. I knew an attorney who always got high before going into court. He needed to back away from his ultra-logical thinking a little bit so he could get in touch with his creativity. He won almost all of his cases.
    Geeze dude, have you ever taken that shit? Burn a spliff and you can still drive, play your guitar, carry on a conversation. Percodan affects everybody differently (like all drugs, which is why the government's one-size-fits-all WalMart laws are idiotic), but most of the people I've known who tried it said it turned them into zombies.

17. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Well I must confess similar experiences. The whole disembodied typist thing can really throw me for a loop.

Yes but we are unfortunately limited to generalities when dealing with those with whom we're unfamiliar... especially the disembodied typists. It's simply symptomatic of the medium. It certainly reveals prejudice. To me though, that's not particularly interesting as prejudice is basically a necessity for the functioning mind.

However ethically unappealing given the shallow glance, generalities persist because they're incredibly practical and thus quite utilitarian. The biggest problem is when people refuse to recognize an exception because it threatens the validity of the generality. That can lead to serious badness as I'm sure you understand.

Well it IS valid I think, generally speaking... in that in your experience the odds are that a youngin should perhaps be shielded from the brunt of an adult argument, as they are generally ill-equipped to tackle it. But again, I can't think of a generality outside of the sciences, etc. that can't be excepted. As such, I'd consider your experience in this case "a nice surprise" but it doesn't necessarily invalidate the generality.

Of course. Myself though, In the case of another person I think should be 'an adult' I probably wouldn't back off nearly as easily because 'adult standards' apply. I am guilty of some of sci's most scathing arguments. I've said intelligent things in what most people would consider horrible ways to try to make a point. I once used the word 'cunt' over a hundred times in a single post, not to mention a plethora of other 'vulgarities'. Lol. Man I can be a jackass. In retrospect though, I revel in the humanity of it... not good or bad really, just the intensity of the experience of thinking my thoughts. Lol, oh man. That was crazy shit. Pardon my odd nostalgia.

Hmmm. I'm not so sure about this with the "life of their own" in the subconscious thing. Sort of, but the semantics of it all get rather burdensome, so I'm gonna pretend it isn't happening until I have the energy to get involved in a big long post exchange to sort it out. (which is why i skipped a post in one of the other threads in which we've talked)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  18. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

*kowtow*

19. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

Well... painkillers are addictive but legal. Marijuana is habitual and illegal.

Still... to comply with stupidity of this particular law, I may order some off a legal pharmacy online.

20. Reiku Banned Banned

There is one major problem with cannabis. A single joint has enough chemicles do destabalize the psyche. I have heard of many cases of teenegers developing schizophrenia after being under the influence of cannabis.

But, cannabis is hardly the worst drug out. Even if cannabis is taking through a pipe, it is still healthier than a single cigarette!! Cannabis is also known for many other aesthetic settings. Even pain release.

21. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Reiku: "I have heard of many cases of teenegers developing schizophrenia after being under the influence of cannabis."

Would you please share a representative source whence you heard of these "many cases", and an example or two showing at least correlation (if not causation)? I "inhaled" as a teen, as did dozens of my friends, and I've never met a schizophrene. In adult life, I know many habitual (and discreet) pot smokers who live well respected and entirely successful, well-adjusted lives.

22. kmguru Staff Member

People in India have been taking cannabis for generations without any mental problems....of course anything in excess can kill you like salt.....it is that excess part that is publicized and laws are written to protect the guilty....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Those who took in excess... slows down their nerve pathways just like Gabapentin without too much side effects....

23. Reiku Banned Banned

Well... i was in an institution for a couple of month when i was 16. I won't go into the reasons why i was there, but i remember a man not much older than me now, who experienced hightened schizophrenia after years of abusing cannabis.

What i don't think people understand, is that cannabis in it's normal form should be fine, but today cannabis (especially in the form of resin), is being mixed with all sorts of mind-bending chemicals.

Look, i'm not an angel. I smoke cannabis quite frequently, but i've seen the side affects for many years now, in many different people. Since schizoprenia is a catanotic condition, it's not hard to see how cannabis can do this, since we have known for years that cannabis causes overblown paranoia.

Of course, i don't expect this to be the case everytime, but it can.