Cannabis and the US Gov't

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Kief, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Kief Registered Member

Yes, another :m: thread by me. But this is really serious. This situation is similar to many other countries: cannabis is illegal for literally NO reason.
    Please, read this: versatileplant.blogspot.com
    I base all of my views on facts and scientific evidence.
    So please, read the site above, it will only take about 5-6 minutes.
    Then, please, reply here. I would like to see what people think about the subject. I am VERY curious to see what people AGAINST cannabis think. I would like to start a friendly debate if possible, or just an open discussion. Thanks
    -Derek

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

The government isn't really "corrupt" they are just mentally retarded. Unfortunately totalitarian morons voted for a Controlled Substances Act.

You should move to California. It's legal there.

http://www.drugsense.org/CCUA/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposition_215

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kief Registered Member

Thanks for the reply.
    But I have to disagree with you when you say that the US Gov't isn't corrupt.
    The fact they they consciously ban cannabis to keep themselves billionaires, when they KNOW for a FACT based on SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE that cannabis is good for the planet, makes them corrupt. That's not a governments job. They use their power to keep themselves rich. That is corrupt.
    And yes, also retarded.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

That is not why they banned cannabis dude. There aren't any billionaires in Congress. Congressmen aren't intelligent enough to accumulate that much capital. So far as I know there aren't any marijuana dealers in Congress either.

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Wherever :m: is sold, other hard drugs are right there as well. Why add another problem to our already drunken society? We can't even keep alcohol out of childrens hands so if :m: were legalized who is going to protect them? More people stoned by :m: being involved in accidents will happen as well.

9. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

I think the US gov't is corrupt, as are a lot of other governments in the world. You can tell because the Constitution is being used more like a set of recommendations instead of absolute law, and the Supreme Court is rubber stamping the whole process instead of doing its job.

I don't think, however, that there's some kind of gov't conspiracy to keep pot illegal. That would mean every gov't in the developed world is in on the same conspiracy, except the Netherlands. I think the answer is a lot simpler, there's just too many people in the world totally brainwashed by decades of propaganda into thinking drugs are a scourge upon the Earth. Politicians don't have the balls to suggest legalization because they know it'll really piss off a good portion of the population and give their opponents something to really chew them out over come election time.

10. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I agree. The advocates for drug reform do not have representation on K Street (lobbyist alley). Under the current system, if you do not have lobbyist greasing the wheels with money, you get no where.

11. WyldCard4 Registered Member

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Legalizing it would remove the need to buy it from illegal drug dealers. It's a more healthy alternative to alcohol. If teens can't get MJ or alcohol, they huff paint or take cough medicine. I would rather have my kid try pot, it's much better anyway.

13. kmguru Staff Member

In India, marijuana is illegal to the foreigners (perhaps due to pressure from U.S. Govt) but legal to locals. One in 1000 users die from abuse almost same as alcohol. Whether it provides a social benefit there is hard to tell. That is why too many people do NOT use it...but some do.

14. Kief Registered Member

cosmictraveler, I mean no disrespect, but you are obviously brainwashed to a certain extent. Not totally, but a little bit.
    Read the reports from the Netherlands. Legalization doesnt lead to more use, it actually decreases use.
    Cannabis is not associated with other drugs. You only think that because there is a black market associated with cannabis because it is illegal. If it were legal, no other drugs would be around it.
    And cannabis is not an issue for kids. I am 17, and I get As and Bs, because I have my priorities in order. If we teach kids responsibility and good decision making, then cannabis isnt a problem.
    Also, you cant compare alcohol to cannabis. Alcohol totally impairs, while I actually function better while high on cannabis, so do most people.
    I would not say this if I did not totally believe it to be true: "The legalization of cannabis would do alot more good than harm to our society. The legal penalties of cannabis are ridiculous. It should be legal so people with medical problems can use it, so people who need it to function can use it, and so people do not get thrown in jail or get their reputations messed up because of the legal penalties."

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Mod note:

I've changed the thread title, so as to enable interested people to find the thread and post replies.

16. Pinocchio's Hoof Pay the Devil, or else.......£ Registered Senior Member

Well you are only 17 so you have not been smoking that long. There are some side effect's from prolonged cannabis use.
    Also generaly where you can buy weed, you can get hold of other harder drugs......
    I've been to holland 10-11 times and the law changes quite a bit on the control aspect of it.
    in the UK we spend (I think from documentary) £4 billion a year on weed which is more than all the other illegal substances combined, through the lack of control i've seen a few things happen to weed, 'Crack cocaine' shavings mixed in with it to ensure that people come back to you to buy some more, Sprayed with a chemical to increase the weight, had sandy bits of glass in it again to increase the weight....all of which potentialy dangerous....
    Also a lot of teenagers and unemployable doofus's that i've met who sell weed seem to think it automaticaly classes them as 'Gangsters' as they are selling drugs combine that with a bit of drum and bass and they all think their Al Capone...lol So they carry knives and are quick to lash out to prove their status as 'Gangster' when really they are street pedelars.

I think it would be beneficial to legalize cannabis in the UK as it would cut out the black market and create a lot of revenue...cuttin out the black market woiuld cut knife/gang crime involving young people in this country...

I feel that the government likes to think it can control culture, create a norm that people grow up to be through television,music,literature (all media) with the legalization of cannabis the culture's norm will change and they will cease to have control across the board....they fear free-will and free-thought.
    And nobody functions properly after a few toots of super dooper skunk thats and illusion, but you could smoke bush weed all day long and still function.

The strange thing as well in this country is that they are all ripping each other off buy undercutting, overcharging (because they are all ganster's lol) I think it causes more harm socialy whilst it is illegal than it would if it was legaly controled....

And should have an age limit of 21 on the purchase of it, but then again so should alcohol (imo) be 21. Or you should be allowed to grow your own 2-3 plants max per household and have the penalty for selling maximised to automatic 5 years in prison (regardless of amount) so you can grow it,smoke it but you can't sell it

17. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

I mostly agree with that. But there are other un-seen aspects: Yes, its good for people who don't sleep well. Yes, its good for people who have back pain. Yes its good for musicians.

However, I'd like to point my finger at the Pharmacies and their lobbyists, rather than congress. Pharmacies want lots of money, so they spend money to keep :m: illegal.

NEWS FLASH: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A MARIJUANA OVERDOSE!

But there are side effects like: The insane urge to go and eat a massive meal at your local Wendy's, Macdonald's etc This actually boosts the economy. Food chains would be smart to lobby it up to get that marijuana out and about.

My main point is marijuana beats painkillers for back pain.

18. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Uh.. where did my post go ? It was perfectly on topic..

19. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

This would be a great argument against TV. Heroin users definitely spent a good deal of time 'zoned out' in front of the TV long before this led to the (slightly) more potent addiction.

Toss in coffee, cigarrettes and alcohol and, well, there are a lot of things that 'lead to harder drugs'.

Why should everyone be limited because a few cannot handle something.

20. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

off topic questions, but does cannabis bloom?

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Yep, it does. In fact, that's the part that's being smoked.

22. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Well duh. That's the whole point, isn't it? If you want to buy some pot you have to go to a gangster and he's got ecstasy and PCP and roofies.
    Huh? What planet do you live on? Marijuana users are far safer drivers than drunks. Alcohol makes you overconfident. Marijuana makes you paranoid.
    The buds are the most potent part of the plant. Growers sell the buds and give away the leaves to their friends for making tea, brownies, etc.

23. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

Unfortunately, in some lines of work, marijuana will never be tolerated, even if it's legal for anyone else. Any job that involves corporate trade secrets or classified government material will still reserve the right to reject/fire employees for their recreational use of marijuana, which has characteristics of a truth serum. A company or government service wouldn't want their employees accidentally blathering on about secretive material, now would they?

As sad as that fact is, it's interesting to note because then, if marijuana were legalized, this wouldn't be an infringement on one's rights, but simply a condition of employment. It's why I support marijuana use, because then the usage has more practical consequences associated with it, such as ineligibility for certain lines of work, rather than criminal punishment. This ineligibility isn't permanent either, you'd be allowed to smoke up, say, during college, and you'd have to go clean before you went out for such a job, and everyone would be perfectly fine with it.