Candidate File: Obama, Barack H.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tiassa, Feb 25, 2008.

1. draqon Banned Banned

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Rumormongering

Source: Slate
    Link: http://www.slate.com/id/2193798
    Title: "The Truth About Barack Obama", by Christopher Beam
    Date: June 17, 2008

Christopher Beam reiterates the argument that attempting to combat the smear myths aimed at Barack Obama tends instead to reinforce them, "no matter how persuasively they've been refuted". Exploiting the idea, Beam suggests some rumors that might help Obama if injected into the political dialogue. A brief sampling:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Sci-guy Registered Member

I have just been angered by Barrak's constant statements of how he why change things,
    "I will change washington's wasteful spending"
    "I will change the war in Iraq"
    "I will change the unemployment status"

Well I can say I can change the fact that humans can't walk on water but does that make it true? no

This man has presented absolutly no plans to accomplish his statemnets. He has no exit plan in Iraq except a time limit. You can't jsut leave in 16 months then all the progress was made in vain becasue the region will destabilize and we will have yet another tyrannical dictator take power.
    At least when John Macain goes to town halls he describes his Iraq plan. He states wheat ares he bleives need to be reienforced and what regions can become self governing proviences. He also asesses the various threats Iraq will face and from what region they pertain too.
    Barrack has said he will leave Iraq. Sounds like a comprehensive plan and is very similar to the Bush exit strategy.

It would just be nice if when Barrack makes a promise he will change something, he acctually submits a plan on how to do so because I already knew that we wanted to change the fact that we were in Iraq, I was more focused on how we are going to do it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Sci-guy 'I have just been angered by Barrak's constant statements of how he why change things,
    "I will change washington's wasteful spending"
    "I will change the war in Iraq"
    "I will change the unemployment status" '

That's not just a misquote- that's putting words into someone's mouth. For instance, if I posted this:

When you actually use quotes here, particularly if your quotes are outrageous, please have the decency to provide your source. Otherwise, you give the impression that you're full of shit. And welcome to SciForums.

8. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Over at Consortium News, Robert Parry takes a look at how the major-media lens is influencing perceptions of Obama:

No matter the directness and detail of Obama's addressing of the greatest problems of our times such as energy and Iraq, the major media persists in distracting USAmericans with yellow-journalism superficiality.

The cheerleading for denial and superficiality by US major media should not be mistaken for a conspiracy- It is the spontaneous behavior of a self-stimulating and self-congratulating society. We've been regressing into the intellectual apathy of affluenza, where base emotional appeals are all that bring collective response. We are becoming a nation unaccustomed to critical collective thinking, and our major media reflects this deplorable and dangerous state.

I think it's also at the heart of age-old right-wing anti-intellectualism, that plays so well to audiences short on ideas, but inundated with fear and loathing.

The coming election will be fateful, and will indicate whether USAmericans are capable of breaking out of the dangerous GIGO-cycle of junk infotainment and our collective choices: Garbage In, Garbage Out.

We may never escape this cycle that is dumbing-down the USA, unless at some point of crisis, and absent an authoritarianist groundswell, USAmericans do get mad enough about being deceived to turn away from infotainment, and instead open our minds to the bigger picture.

9. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Obama recently rebuffed well his opposition's guffaws about tire pressure.

I hope that his campaign will continue to work to overcome cynicism and anti-intellectualism in USAmerican society, because such attitudes are what most stand in the way of positive change.

10. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

is barak hussein obama already a president?

When asked about his stance on abortion, the Republican candidate declared he opposed abortion "from the moment of conception".

"I will be a pro-life president and this presidency will have pro-life policies. That's my commitment to you," he said to applause.

who would vote for a cocky son of a bitch like that for a president? how many cocky decisions he will make as a president then?

11. iceaura Valued Senior Member

What ?

12. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Obama is not the republican candidate.

14. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

yes i know that. you try having dyslexia

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

So, who will be VP? It sounds like they will announce this week, before friday. I would be very happy with Joe Biden.

16. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

So uh... is that Spock calling McCain a cocky son of a bitch and asking who would vote for him?

17. Gently Passing Registered Senior Member

The McCain campaign's "strategy" of inventing a fictional cartoon character vaguely resembling his opponent, then attacking him instead of the real man he is running against is reminiscent of both Bush campaigns.

It's also reminiscent of five year-olds on the playground laughing at the new kid.

His mindless tripe is just a nanometer beyond calling him a "retard," "gay," and so on. Sadly, if he did descend to such name calling, it seems it would probably work.

I have seriously considered leaving America, if any other country would have me.

18. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

19. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

i cant believe my sister wants to vote for Obama.

"its time America has a black president" she said.

20. DeepThought Banned Banned

This is exactly what all white Americans are thinking who want Obama elected.

"It's time for change".

His policies are irrelevant, which is why he hasn't got any.

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

22. DeepThought Banned Banned

Is that you trying to be profound or trying to spell?

Americans are obsessed with race above all else, period.

23. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Which makes the Democratic choice of Obama all that more compelling. We know we would be father ahead if he were white.